Really, really weird passenger side window switch issue

Really, really weird passenger side window switch issue

Postby Kirkus [OP] » September 1st 2011, 5:55am

Okay everyone, hold on to your hats because this is a weird one!!!!

My driver's side master window switch broke a few months ago. Naturally, I replaced it with a new one. The day I replaced it, the passenger side switch stopped working. So, I figured that it was the new switch. I put the old switch back on to see if the passenger side switch would work again. It didn't help at all. So, I decided to go and buy a new passenger side switch. I connected the switch and I got nothing. After the switch didn't work, I remembered that I had broken wires in the door boot. So, I fixed the wires and the window moves faster now but the switch still doesn't work.

Now, here's the crazy part...I have current coming to all of the wires on the switch. EVERYTHING HAS POWER but the new passenger side switch and old passenger side switch do not work at all. The only way I can control the window is from the driver's side master switch. Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions???

Thanks in advance!
Jerome The Bus is his name and taking care of Kirkus is his game. :layrubber: 1992 GMC Safari XT 4.3L 262 RWD At least 300,000 Mi Orig eng and tranny
Original Poster [OP]
Kirkus
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Kirkus has been a member for 10 full yearsKirkus has been a member for 10 full yearsKirkus has been a member for 10 full yearsKirkus has been a member for 10 full yearsKirkus has been a member for 10 full yearsKirkus has been a member for 10 full yearsKirkus has been a member for 10 full yearsKirkus has been a member for 10 full yearsKirkus has been a member for 10 full yearsKirkus has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA): Kirk
Van Model Year: 1992
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 262 Z

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Door window switch electrical connector
    by AstroOafAdventurer » August 26th 2020, 10:28pm in Electrical
    15 Replies
    Last post by AstroOafAdventurer View the latest post
    August 27th 2020, 8:47pm
  • Weird Electrical Quirks
    by rstro » June 14th 2020, 11:41pm in Electrical
    2 Replies
    Last post by rstro View the latest post
    June 15th 2020, 12:48am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 1st 2020, 6:05am

Re: Really, really weird passenger side window switch issue

Postby Lumpy » September 1st 2011, 6:12pm

Here's the schematic for my 89 if that helps -

Note that all switches are grounded in their resting state. So if you try and
test the window motor by applying 12v to the two terminals, DISCONNECT the
switches from the motor first, otherwise you will be causing a direct short
from 12vdc+ to ground.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby crazedfox » September 8th 2011, 10:49am

Tell,
__us exactly which wires that have power.

Be sure to double check fuses, relays, & any thermal fuses you may have.
Then check for any shorts in the wiring from the Drivers-side onto the Pass-side.
Some choose to shift.
While others, choose not to.

98' Astro AWD W-Eng. code.
crazedfox
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: crazedfox has been a member for 9 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 9 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 9 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 9 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 9 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 9 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 9 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 9 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD

Postby tedanderson » September 8th 2011, 11:50am

Check your ground.

When you tested your wires for current, did you put the other lead into the connector or did you ground it on a piece of metal (such as the door)

Secondly, test the switch with a meter or continuity tester. Based on that you said so far, I don't think that it's the switch but you never know what you can find out from that.
tedanderson
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 76
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan

Postby crazedfox » September 12th 2011, 2:11pm

Opps,
__I forgot about the ground. Thanks for pointing that out tedanderson.
Some choose to shift.
While others, choose not to.

98' Astro AWD W-Eng. code.
crazedfox
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: crazedfox has been a member for 9 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 9 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 9 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 9 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 9 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 9 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 9 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 9 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Kirkus [OP] » November 3rd 2011, 6:08am

Thanks for the replies guys! I had to put the problem on the back burner for now. From what I can remember, I'm pretty sure I used the latch post on the body or I used the passenger seat stud as a ground. I am not sure as of now but I think I was getting a positive light from all of the wires in the window harness that connect to the back of the switch. I honestly cannot remember if this is correct though. All my fuses are good, for sure. I didn't think to check and see if one side of my relay was bad. I might need to do that. Again when I tested the wires in the harness, I grounded my test light and checked the wire connectors for current just as I normally would.

Thanks again for all the help. You all's input is very helpful!
Jerome The Bus is his name and taking care of Kirkus is his game. :layrubber: 1992 GMC Safari XT 4.3L 262 RWD At least 300,000 Mi Orig eng and tranny
Original Poster [OP]
Kirkus
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Kirkus has been a member for 10 full yearsKirkus has been a member for 10 full yearsKirkus has been a member for 10 full yearsKirkus has been a member for 10 full yearsKirkus has been a member for 10 full yearsKirkus has been a member for 10 full yearsKirkus has been a member for 10 full yearsKirkus has been a member for 10 full yearsKirkus has been a member for 10 full yearsKirkus has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA): Kirk
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: 262 Z