Replacing dash lights

Replacing dash lights

Postby miniVan [OP] » February 1st 2011, 1:10am

A few of my dash lights are out on my 97 truck and I was planning to replace them and don't know how. It would be great if you guys can give me some advice on how to replace them, i'de really appreciate it. I know it is difficult to replace some of the radio lamps, but I'm trying to replace the ones for the Rear A/C switch, Rear Heat, Rear Wipers, and a single lamp for the Fuel guage (the fuel guage is still slightly illuminated from the other lamps, but it would be nice if it could be bright again). I've also noticed once or twice that the rear wiper switch light rarely comes on... most of the time the lamp for that switch is off, eventhough the switch is working all the time. (Maybe the L.E.D is not sticking). I know the other switches lamps are out for sure. How can I replace these?
Original Poster [OP]
miniVan
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: miniVan has been a member for 11 full yearsminiVan has been a member for 11 full yearsminiVan has been a member for 11 full yearsminiVan has been a member for 11 full yearsminiVan has been a member for 11 full yearsminiVan has been a member for 11 full yearsminiVan has been a member for 11 full yearsminiVan has been a member for 11 full yearsminiVan has been a member for 11 full yearsminiVan has been a member for 11 full yearsminiVan has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 47
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Replacing dash lights

Postby Phantom » February 1st 2011, 1:31am

Dash lights are easy to replace , Disconnect the Negative battery cable first , then pull off the the dash bezel faceplate then remove 4 screws that hold the instrument cluster in place , Then pull the instrument cluster forward slowly to pull it free from the wiring connector , then pull out the instrument cluster set it face down on a table and remove/replace the bulbs , the reversed order to reinstall .
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Postby miniVan [OP] » February 1st 2011, 4:41am

Okay thanks. What about the rear a/C, heat, and wiper switches. Is there a small lamp in those 3 switches that can also be replaced? How would I replace them?
Original Poster [OP]
miniVan
Years of Membership: miniVan has been a member for 11 full yearsminiVan has been a member for 11 full yearsminiVan has been a member for 11 full yearsminiVan has been a member for 11 full yearsminiVan has been a member for 11 full yearsminiVan has been a member for 11 full yearsminiVan has been a member for 11 full yearsminiVan has been a member for 11 full yearsminiVan has been a member for 11 full yearsminiVan has been a member for 11 full yearsminiVan has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby miniVan [OP] » February 2nd 2011, 1:31am

I'm assuming the rear switches (a/c, heat, and wipers) have soldered lamps in them. If I want to replace my instrument panel lamp, how would I remove the dash bezel faceplate? Are there any screws that need to be removed first? Just so I understand, the bazel is the thin plastic that is one big peice that goes around the front of the instrument panel and around the radio and climate controls? Where would be the best place for me to start and remove this bazel?
Original Poster [OP]
miniVan
Alias (AKA):

Postby Phantom » February 2nd 2011, 2:53am

The HVAC control panel has a bulb in it accessed from the rear of panel , dash bezel needs to be removed and then remove one screw that mounts the HVAC control , careful as the wires are connected to it
try prying out all around the bezel , it is held in place by metal clips , take your time and gradually pull it free
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby miniVan [OP] » February 2nd 2011, 3:52am

Okay thanks. About the rear climate switches, I wasn't refering to the HVAC controls that are directly above the radio (those lamps work). Just the three seperate switches for the REAR hear, A/C and wipers, that are located to the right of the radio and are vertically positioned above each other. They are big switches with vertical rotating knobs that slide up and down. They are easily removable by prying them gently out without removing the dash bezel, but I don't see how I can replace the lamp in these three switches? Has anyone tried replacing the bulbs in these three switches?
Original Poster [OP]
miniVan
Alias (AKA):

Postby mjlfinn » September 20th 2011, 2:49pm

Hello, I would like to know if you ever figured out the lighting of your Rear wiper, Rear A/C, Rear Heating control switches. I have a 2002 Chevy Astro with that problem. In my Case the control switches for the Fan Speed, Hot/Cold, and HVAC Selector switch also do not light up. Looking for some help. Thanks,
mjlfinn
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: mjlfinn has been a member for 9 full yearsmjlfinn has been a member for 9 full yearsmjlfinn has been a member for 9 full yearsmjlfinn has been a member for 9 full yearsmjlfinn has been a member for 9 full yearsmjlfinn has been a member for 9 full yearsmjlfinn has been a member for 9 full yearsmjlfinn has been a member for 9 full yearsmjlfinn has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3L AWD

Postby Lumpy » September 21st 2011, 6:25am

They differ a bit from year to year.
But generally I think it's simply - take the thing apart till you find the bulb.
As you start to find bulbs you will inevitibly find a broken socket somewhere.
Whatever you find that's broken, take it all down to your local Peppercheckzone
and find replacements. While you're at the socket, use your tester to make sure
you're getting power to the lamp contacts at the appropriate time (key on, always,
when headlights are on etc). Also while you're there, clean any elec contacts. In my case,
my 89 had some plastic parts that had disintegrated making the mounting of the twist in
bulbs impossible. I had to build ears and tabs and slots out of JB weld, CA glue and bits
of plastic. It's a lot "easier" to trade a car in every year, but it's not nearly as cool... :D

You have to be willing to take the dash apart. That always presents some
challenges. They are assembled in a specific order with expensive and specialized tools
by workers with double jointed tiny hands who do 11 thousand of them per day. Do it
when you are open minded and not bugged by things like excess heat, bugs, time limits
or bad fitting shoes.

Lumpy
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby mjlfinn » September 22nd 2011, 3:42pm

HI, The HVAC control module seems to be sealed with no accessible entry. There is the vacuum connector and the power connector. I believe these lights are maybe LEDs maybe and it seems like since they are all out that there is a common area that provides power to them all. Also the Rear A/C, heat, and rear wiper. I see in the elec. diagram a common connector area, but I do not know what this translates to in a real module.

Can any one provide a picture or description of what I need to look for?

Thanks,
mjlfinn
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: mjlfinn has been a member for 9 full yearsmjlfinn has been a member for 9 full yearsmjlfinn has been a member for 9 full yearsmjlfinn has been a member for 9 full yearsmjlfinn has been a member for 9 full yearsmjlfinn has been a member for 9 full yearsmjlfinn has been a member for 9 full yearsmjlfinn has been a member for 9 full yearsmjlfinn has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3L AWD

Postby Lumpy » September 22nd 2011, 7:23pm

Does this look like your 97 dash?

If so, looks like pull the knobs (trim tool, usually) and pull a 4mm bolt.

The bolt is #9 in the diagram.
The light bulb is #2.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo