Extra wire on Spyder headlights

Extra wire on Spyder headlights

Postby CougarsLS [OP] » October 3rd 2011, 6:12pm

Please Help! What I would really like is to have the new lights come on the same way my daytime running lights come on. The lights turn off when the starter is engaged to save the battery and when in the daytime mode the brightness is reduced as there not needed to see the road. It should be simple enough.The problem is that I don't have any experience doing this kind of thing and I don't want to damage anything while trying to figure it out. Has anyone out there done this before? I have talked with couple of auto electric shops and they assured me that it was a big deal with lots of testing and research and that I would have to leave it with them. I've had some bad experiences with shops that take a lot of time telling me about all of the problems and don't say anything about the solution. That's a bad sign that usually results in the job done wrong or being over charged or both. The wiring diagrams are readily available I'm just not in tune with how to read them. I don't have an issue with paying someone to do the job for me provided that its done rite and I don't have any future problems related to it. My question is what is the rite way to do this kind of thing? Can I attach my new extra lights wiring to the current headlight wiring provided that I find out witch wires are the correct ones or will the extra current draw heat up the wiring or cause other problems? I would be adding four small marker sized bulbs to each headlight or are there better approaches. Thanks in advance for any advice. Cougar.
Attachments
IMG_4650.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
CougarsLS
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: CougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Extra wire on Spyder headlights

Postby Phantom » October 3rd 2011, 9:02pm

Did you not ask this same thing a few days ago?? I thought I gave you the wiring diagram for your van ..they are easy to read and understand , they are even color coded just as they are in your van , very easy to follow where the wires go

You should find out which bulbs they are and what the wattage they draw , and determine if the factory wire can handle the additional load
The easiest way would be to just add a parallel wire to the existing wire to each headlight circuit , one on the left , and one on the right ,, they will come on with the preexisting lamps , the only thing is how much current draw do the new lamps draw on the system , you may need to replace the existing wiring with heavier gauge wire , or add in more wire and follow the existing circuit , with additional current draw you need extra fuse relay protection from overheated wires ..

The only problem you'd have is making sure that you have enough protection on the factory wiring ,,I don't like DRL to start with , ,,you can accomplish nearly the same only better , because of better protection is to simply wire your new lamps up with a heavy gauge wire , using inline fuses and relays and a separate switch , that way they are not going to interfere with the factory wiring , no safety hazard and able to turn on and off independently from factory lights , if you want all lights on at the same same just turn them on when you have the factory lights on .
Shops have a liability concern , if they just tap into the factory wiring and that overloads the wire and causes a fire ,they can be sued to pay for damages if it catches fire , so they need to protect themselves by adding new wiring , that can be involved and costly if they have to rewire the entire headlight wiring because it will go though the dash and various places , labor charge per hour would be quite high , I bet they know you would freak out if they told you how much labor would be , which is why they don't say , They are not gonna risk paying for a replacement van if it caught fire , and only charge a $100 fee , the fee would likely be 5 times that for labor costs cause they will charge per hour ,
you can accomplish what you want if you want to have a separate switch , you can add a photocell to turn them on automatically ,but it is more money , and not really needed
Attachments
99 Astro Headlight Circuit.pdf
(195.18 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Re: Extra wire on Spyder headlights

Postby CougarsLS [OP] » October 4th 2011, 4:07pm

Yes I did have the same post the other day. I was looking to see if I could find anymore info on the matter. After reviewing it more and seeing how they look when there on with the help of another battery I am now going with the headlights being wired through the fuse panel. I thought they might be to bright but that wasn't the case. Thanks again for your help. Cougar
Original Poster [OP]
CougarsLS
Years of Membership: CougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LS