Looking for a delay relay

Looking for a delay relay

Postby Jasen [OP] » November 11th 2011, 4:04am

OK, here's the latest hair ball idea I'm coughing up.

With the security partition I can't see if my slider is locked, so I'm always running over to that side to check it when I'm out and about.

My thinking is to get the power door lock contacts for the slider at the PnP and install them to constant power. Then wire in a reed switch that is activated by the manual door lock lever so that the switch is open when locked and closed when unlocked. Then wire in a piezo buzzer inside the door that will go off when the door is closed and unlocked.
So now what I need to find is a time delay switch/relay so that the buzzer will only sound for say 5 seconds.
Anyone have any idea's where I can find such a relay or timer for a reasonable price.
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Original Poster [OP]
Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Re: Looking for a delay relay

Postby 'cudapaul » November 11th 2011, 6:35am

Look up "555 timer" on Google. It's a small IC that can be wired to do exactly what you want, and much more.

If you don't want to build one, try an Altronix 6030 or 6062, or similar.

http://www.altronix.com/index.php?pid=2&model_num=6062

http://www.altronix.com/index.php?pid=2&category=14
'cudapaul
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years
Alias (AKA): 'cudapaul
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby Jasen [OP] » November 11th 2011, 6:43am

That would do the trick :thumbup:
$16 from Sears

Ultra gauge

Original Poster [OP]
Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby RECox286 » November 11th 2011, 4:05pm

Just a random thought (my two scents):

There are probably other solutions, like a pair of lights on the dash activated by a switches in the door lock circuit. Even if the buzzer sounds, if you aren't in the woods next to the

tree that falls, does it make a thud ?

We had a "door light" which would indicate an open cargo door, either in the belly or the side of the aircraft. Didn't want to take off with a door open in a pressurized airplane.

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby Wilson » November 11th 2011, 5:56pm

Do you want to make sure its closed or the doorlock activated and do you have power doorlocks on the front doors?
...if you build it....they will run...
Wilson
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Wilson has been a member for 9 full yearsWilson has been a member for 9 full yearsWilson has been a member for 9 full yearsWilson has been a member for 9 full yearsWilson has been a member for 9 full yearsWilson has been a member for 9 full yearsWilson has been a member for 9 full yearsWilson has been a member for 9 full yearsWilson has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLX

Postby Jasen [OP] » November 11th 2011, 6:47pm

No power locks.
My thinking is that you can't ignore or miss an audio warning like a light, but now that you mention it, a light on the dash as well is a good idea. I just need to think about how to wire it so it tells me the door is unlocked and isn't on the whole time I'm driving, because I'll just learn to ignore it. Wire it up on a timer as well so it comes on and flashes for 5-10 seconds when the ignition is turned off.
Hmmmm, maybe just make it set off the audio warning when the door isn't locked and when I turn the ignition off.
As a side note, my front dome light is wired separately from the rears, which also have there own over ride switch.

Going to have to do some more thinking :think:

Ultra gauge

Original Poster [OP]
Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Alias (AKA):

Postby Wilson » November 11th 2011, 7:04pm

you can put a momentary switch on the inside of the door activated by the DL linkage, you'll have to get the power doorlock contacts for the slider so both leads of the switch can be ran in. Once the leads are at the bottom of the dash you'll need to build 2 relay circuits to make the buzzer function. i have a written schematic for this but i dont know how to upload it. Essentially the buzzer will ring when you shut off the ignition warning you that the slider is unlocked. to shut off the buzzer just simply lock the door. the circuit will reset itself once you start the truck again. Total cost for parts arent more than 20 bucks so if youre interested i'll post it........i just need to know how to upload it.....( car smart, computer stupid)
Wilson
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Wilson has been a member for 9 full yearsWilson has been a member for 9 full yearsWilson has been a member for 9 full yearsWilson has been a member for 9 full yearsWilson has been a member for 9 full yearsWilson has been a member for 9 full yearsWilson has been a member for 9 full yearsWilson has been a member for 9 full yearsWilson has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Wilson » November 11th 2011, 7:05pm

BTW......a timer isn't needed for the circuit
Wilson
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Jasen [OP] » November 11th 2011, 7:14pm

But if it doesn't turn off by itself, I can't ignore it because it will drain the battery :lol:

I'm thinking I like this idea.

How to post pics https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7345

Ultra gauge

Original Poster [OP]
Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Alias (AKA):

Postby Wilson » November 11th 2011, 7:18pm

ill draw it up and post it
Wilson
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Jasen [OP] » November 11th 2011, 7:30pm

Thanx :)

Ultra gauge

Original Poster [OP]
Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Alias (AKA):

Postby Phantom » November 11th 2011, 7:43pm

You can install the side door electrical contacts that can alert you when door is not closed ..you can tie the wiring into the buzzer circuit that goes on when you leave key in the ignition switch , that way it will buzz when door is not closed all the way..

items 58, 59 , 31

Or you can get one of those things from the past that has a voice saying " Your door is ajar, Your door is ajar,Your door is ajar,Your door is ajar,Your door is ajar" :lol:
Attachments
Side Door Lock Contacts.JPG
Side Door Lock Contacts.JPG (45.66 KiB) Viewed 1072 times
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby Jasen [OP] » November 11th 2011, 7:53pm

Phantom, I already have a system in place for when the door isn't completely closed, it rattles like a coffee can of bolts :lol: I want to build an alert system that tells me when it's not locked. I can't count how many times I've been getting ready for bed and thought, did I lock the slider, then get dressed and run out there to check.

Ultra gauge

Original Poster [OP]
Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Alias (AKA):

Postby Phantom » November 11th 2011, 8:05pm

You are investing money into a system that alerts you that the door is not locked but does not actually lock the door? You could save some money and help your circulatory system by making a habit of walking to the side door and lock it and have confidence . :mrgreen:

Or since you already have the wiring in place you can get a lock actuator solenoid from salvage yard (or new) and mount it , run wiring to a switch by the driver side dash or wherever you want it , that way you can lock it from the drivers seat , not just an alert but a lock.
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby Jasen [OP] » November 11th 2011, 8:18pm

Phantom, I had thought about that, but it doesn't help with forgetfulness. But now it's brings up another idea, making it auto lock after closed :think:

Ultra gauge

Original Poster [OP]
Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Alias (AKA):

Postby Jasen [OP] » November 11th 2011, 8:29pm

So if I use a momentary switch, that will only actuate the lock solenoid in one direction according to the polarity right?

Ultra gauge

Original Poster [OP]
Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Alias (AKA):

Postby Wilson » November 11th 2011, 8:35pm

i have the drawing ready, im gonna try to upload it now
Wilson
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Jasen [OP] » November 11th 2011, 8:47pm

Wilson wrote:i have the drawing ready, im gonna try to upload it now

Cool

Ultra gauge

Original Poster [OP]
Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Alias (AKA):

Postby Wilson » November 11th 2011, 9:25pm

heres the diagram
Attachments
GEDC1269.JPG
Wilson
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Jasen [OP] » November 11th 2011, 9:30pm

Thanx Wilson. That's easy enough to put together.

Ultra gauge

Original Poster [OP]
Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Alias (AKA):

Next