DIY Firewall Feed Through

DIY Firewall Feed Through

Postby Lumpy [OP] » December 4th 2011, 8:59pm

I needed some multi conductor cable fed through the firewall for signal lines to some
underhood relays.

Here's what I did -

Found a convenient (yeah right!) spot to drill a 9/16 inch diam hole through the firewall.
This spot was just outboard from the hole that the hood release cable goes through.

Drilled, deburred, filed the hole and edges, then fed through a heavy piece of
rubber hose about 24 inches long. Wet paper towel below the hole to catch metal
filings and anything else that might want to fall into the alternator.

I drilled first with a 3/32" drill to verify the hole on both sides, and to get a pilot hole in place.
Then finished enlarging it with a Uni bit. Takes just seconds to drill with one of those big Uni's.
I use them for everything. Buy the cheap ones at Harbor Freight, 3 sized set for $9.

Hole and hose outlined in yellow.

The OD of the hose is just slightly smaller than the hole.

Here's where it comes through to the inside of the cabin. Outlined in yellow.

Once on the inside, I wrapped a few turns of copper wire around the hose. The copper is
not tight, not cinching the hose. It's pretty loose. I just want to make a "bump" in the hose
that I can fill with RTV.

Here's the cable I fed through it. 6 - 22ga conductors. It's not going to carry any appreciable current.
Just signal wires for relays. Don't need big wires, just several wires.

Covered the copper "bulge" with RTV then pulled the hose from the engine side
so that the RTV covered bulge snugged up against the INSIDE of the firewall.
Then squirted RTV around the OUTSIDE of the feed through.

Difficult to see the outside seal here, lots of wires and hoses in the way.
I've outlined the hose and seal in yellow.

Here it is completed from the engine side. Wires aren't yet in use. It's temporarily
tied up with some zip ties against some other cables and hoses. When I'm ready to
finish the install, I'll simply snip the zip ties and route the cable where I want it.
It's a few feet oversize so I can route it to anywhere I might need a wire from
dash to engine compartment.

Here's the completed dash side. AC register and switch panel is temporarily
removed, gone to the OD green paint booth. The multi conductor cable is
outlined in yellow. It's a few feet "too long" on this side as well so I can
route this side of it to wherever I might want.

Lump
Original Poster [OP]
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Harness Clip Rubbing Through
    by TBLBill » October 22nd 2020, 1:14pm in Electrical
    0 Replies
    Last post by TBLBill View the latest post
    October 22nd 2020, 1:14pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 15th 2021, 6:59pm

Re: DIY Firewall Feed Through

Postby Jasen » December 4th 2011, 9:45pm

Nice. But what I wanna know is, who do you talk to on all those radios'
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby RECox286 » December 4th 2011, 9:58pm

I have been putting off drilling a penetration in the firewall so I can replumb the two very small plastic vacuum pipes (which of course are crumbled from age) that go thru the

firewall with the electrical bundle. I think you may have found the only available 1 square inch that would be suitable, Ha. Good show, Gov. My ego is boosted !

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby Black89cs » December 4th 2011, 11:35pm

Nice. For my amp cable I found a flat spot right by the shifter cable to drill through. It's invisible inside the van and almost easy to miss in the engine bay since it's below the brake booster.
Black89cs
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Black89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 81
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy [OP] » December 5th 2011, 2:21am

Black89cs wrote:
Nice. For my amp cable I found a flat spot right by the shifter cable to drill through. It's invisible inside the van and almost easy to miss in the engine bay since it's below the brake booster.

I already used that space up for cables for those radios.. :rofl:

Lump
Original Poster [OP]
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Black89cs » December 5th 2011, 2:30am

hahaha I see. The thing that wasn't fun for me is once I got everything wired up I found out the amp had some serious issues, so now I've got a nice AWG4 cable run to the back with nothing to hook to it, so I've got it disabled for now.
Black89cs
Years of Membership: Black89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 81
Alias (AKA):

Postby 4barrel » December 20th 2011, 5:37pm

Thats using your dipstick!
Yes The hardest part now days is finding a "spot" that can drill both sides. I just bought a small cheapo right angle air drill. this thing is like a mini die grinder. Can't wait to try it out!

The big trick I used to do when intalling stereos and heated seats, Was this. Take a length of soild brake line about 18-24" long, leave the bubble flare on one end & cut the tube on a angle making a little point. /\ Now you can use this tube to puncture stock rubber gromets like near the colum of most vehicles. If you push through from opposite side you are working from. Then slide the wire into & through the tube. Then go and pull the tube back out. this will leave the wire in the rubber.
This works Very well with smaller wires like 12-18ga. Tubes I.D is the biggest wire you can do.

No pics handy but picture it looking like the HOSE with wires in it. The hose being the solid tube. But instead of drilling into metal> it gets "pushed" though existing rubber.
4barrel
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: 4barrel has been a member for 9 full years4barrel has been a member for 9 full years4barrel has been a member for 9 full years4barrel has been a member for 9 full years4barrel has been a member for 9 full years4barrel has been a member for 9 full years4barrel has been a member for 9 full years4barrel has been a member for 9 full years4barrel has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD

Postby Lumpy [OP] » December 21st 2011, 4:36am

4barrel wrote:
... I just bought a small cheapo right angle air drill. this thing is like a mini die grinder. Can't wait to try it out!

I bought one of those $20 right angle air drills at HF. Takes a pretty hefty compressor,
which I don't have. I took it back.

Very clever idea about the sharpened brake line push through the grommet trick... :thumbup:

Lump
Original Poster [OP]
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Postby 4barrel » December 21st 2011, 7:02am

Ya I just got my compressor home and wired ( took about 6 months) A Big one :D lol so really itching to to giver a work out, but think my pressure switch has gone piff''. Get it fixed soon enough.

Also I paint my "cheater rod" bright red or next time I have this florecent green. Then you will see it in even low light.
Never had any problems but as always use some discression when poking in there, don't hit any air bag or abs crap!
Had One guy pop a air bag in shop one day when I was younger. He had seat reclined and was upside down-ish under colum/dash think he hit the tube with his super sharp "snap on" test light. BOOM !!!!!He p*ssed himself in the car LOL Don't blame him HAHA I was shaking all day, scared hell outta me.
4barrel
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: 4barrel has been a member for 9 full years4barrel has been a member for 9 full years4barrel has been a member for 9 full years4barrel has been a member for 9 full years4barrel has been a member for 9 full years4barrel has been a member for 9 full years4barrel has been a member for 9 full years4barrel has been a member for 9 full years4barrel has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD