Fuel pump blowing fuse on left turns 98 Safari.

Fuel pump blowing fuse on left turns 98 Safari.

Postby RCB [OP] » August 13th 2018, 2:30am

So, this is my third fuel pump in two weeks. So, I'm positive the pump is ok. I can drive fine for hours, but if I come to a stop and make a left turn it will sometimes blow the fuse. It's not every time but maybe every 10 or so left turns. However it only does it on left turns. Never right and never straight. I've been over the wires with an ohm meter and no shorts are showing up. I've looked over the wiring loom as far as I can with nothing visibly wrong. Has anyone encountered that? I'm really scratching my head. I would think this is a short that's making contact near suspension or steering but it doesn't look like the loom goes anywhere near it. This is a 98 Safari.
Original Poster [OP]
RCB
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: RCB has been a member for 11 full yearsRCB has been a member for 11 full yearsRCB has been a member for 11 full yearsRCB has been a member for 11 full yearsRCB has been a member for 11 full yearsRCB has been a member for 11 full yearsRCB has been a member for 11 full yearsRCB has been a member for 11 full yearsRCB has been a member for 11 full yearsRCB has been a member for 11 full yearsRCB has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): RC
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Fuel pump blowing fuse on left turns 98 Safari.

Postby Zebediah III » August 13th 2018, 2:51am

Have you put 3 pumps in it? Was it due to failure during left turns? Were the fuses blowing? I'm confused. Have you tried with a full tank of gas? Or try with the van idling and on jacks or a couple people could rock it really hard to see if stalls. It could be a wire to wire short, it does not necessarily have to hit ground. It could also be something in the pump unit when it tilts too far. Need more info. Stalls on left turns is vague, but you can narrow it down. Especially if you know the fuse is blowing and the pump is ok. On some left turns, the van will raise up on the left side quite a bit, so try to re-create that extreme. Two people rocking it vigorously may make it stall. if not, start wiggling wiring.
Zebediah III
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Zebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 383 Crate Motor

Postby AstroWill » August 13th 2018, 3:00am

You can isolate it at the fuel pump relay, disconnect and bypass the fuel pump relay and power the pump directly with a fused jumper wire. If it does blow, then it's on the pump side of the relay, if it doesn't, then it's on the relay side.

That will at least get you to which side of the harness it's happening at. I guess you could do the same thing at the fuel pump connector near the filter if you wanted to narrow it down some more.

Also, the GM Techline eSI will have all of the wiring/routing diagrams that you might need.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business.
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby RCB [OP] » August 13th 2018, 11:48am

Initially the pump was replaced two years ago. Then it blew a fuse and kept blowing fuses. So I replaced the fuel pump. Drove it for a week and then it started doing it again. I could idle but under any load it would blow the fuse. Then I discovered the fuel filter was basically clogged. So I replaced that. That didn't stop it from blowing fuses though so I thought I had already burned up the pump due to the clog. Replaced the pump again. Now with this one it drove fine but every now and again it will blow a fuse. Only on left turns.

Now to step back, for the past 6 months on left turns it had a tendency to stumble and hesitate. But it wouldn't blow fuses, but the gas gauge would drop out for a moment. This mainly happened on a left turn I have to make onto the highway uphill. Same for blowing fuses now.

With the pump disconnected I've moved the wire harness as far as I could by hand with power on as far forward as I could reach. No fuses blew. It seems to be a very vague problem.
Original Poster [OP]
RCB
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: RCB has been a member for 11 full yearsRCB has been a member for 11 full yearsRCB has been a member for 11 full yearsRCB has been a member for 11 full yearsRCB has been a member for 11 full yearsRCB has been a member for 11 full yearsRCB has been a member for 11 full yearsRCB has been a member for 11 full yearsRCB has been a member for 11 full yearsRCB has been a member for 11 full yearsRCB has been a member for 11 full years

Postby AstroWill » August 13th 2018, 2:26pm

It's going to take work, the fuses are blowing for a reason. If there has ever been a higher amperage fuse installed, then all of the wiring along the entire circuit is suspect. Isolate the section of harness that is a problem, and then thoroughly inspect that section. Or don't isolate it and thoroughly inspect the entire circuit.

Just remember that some parts of that circuit go to different places(see wiring diagrams). For example to the PCM and the oil pressure switch, so the intermittent short to ground could be anywhere along that circuit.

Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years

Postby RCB [OP] » September 6th 2018, 11:26pm

Now it does it under load. Idles fine but under load (in drive) it blows the fuse. I'm selling it but until it's sold I'm tinkering. I can't imagine that an EGR could blow the fuse could it? Surely the fuel pump couldn't be bad again. The problem is it's intermittent. When I finally get it home I'm considering removing the whole harness. I shudder to think how difficult that will be on this van.
Original Poster [OP]
RCB
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby AstroWill » September 7th 2018, 2:48am

Good luck.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby RCB [OP] » September 7th 2018, 7:38pm

I'll need it, lol.
Original Poster [OP]
RCB
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby Mmusicman » September 8th 2018, 3:08pm

Just make right turns...
3 right turns = 1 left turn! Problem solved! :D

Option 2: Bypass the fuse and you'll "find" the short.
Just kidding... do not do this... ^^
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby AstroWill » September 8th 2018, 10:57pm

Have you looked at the wiring diagrams yet so that you know everywhere that circuit goes?

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby MechBob » September 12th 2018, 3:13am

Fuel pump is controlled by the ECM B fuse.If this is the one that is blowing,check your wiring at the oil pressure sender,as it is part of the fuel pump control.
MechBob
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4