CANBUS in 2005 Astro Van?

CANBUS in 2005 Astro Van?

Postby GuyS [OP] » November 1st 2018, 8:02pm

Does a 2005 Astro van have CANBUS? I believe that is where the vehicles computer can communicate with the headlights (dashpanel indicates a burnt out light). I couldn't find anything in the manual when I searched the word.
Original Poster [OP]
GuyS
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: GuyS has been a member for 4 full yearsGuyS has been a member for 4 full yearsGuyS has been a member for 4 full yearsGuyS has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 17
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: CANBUS in 2005 Astro Van?

Postby TurnNburn » November 1st 2018, 8:06pm

sure does. 99? and newer got it
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby Birdshake » November 1st 2018, 8:08pm

My 2005 definitely does not have CANBUS.
2005 4WD Astro Cargo
NP236 3.73 Eaton Posi
S10 HD Springs 3" blocks
245/75/16 BFG KO2
KYB Monomax
Birdshake
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Birdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby GuyS [OP] » November 1st 2018, 8:09pm

Do you know what it does TurnNburn?
Original Poster [OP]
GuyS
Years of Membership: GuyS has been a member for 4 full yearsGuyS has been a member for 4 full yearsGuyS has been a member for 4 full yearsGuyS has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby MechBob » November 1st 2018, 8:48pm

CAN is a communications protocol,allows the various modules to talk to one another(ecm,pcm,bcm,etc). http://www.oneminuteinfo.com/2014/02/ca ... mmies.html http://www.public.asu.edu/~pheanis/docu ... BI_CAN.pdf
MechBob
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby GuyS [OP] » November 1st 2018, 9:06pm

Thanks. Question is.... for me anyway, does my Astro have CANBUS (and it may have some kind of "flavor" of CANBUS).

I recently ordered LED headlights and it may be that I need an external resistor set up to prevent issues with CANBUS communicating with the headlight system. I haven't received the LED's yet (they're scheduled for delivery today), but I am already having second thoughts about the purchase. There is the reflector vs projector lens issue that may mean the LED's are not good for my Astro.
Original Poster [OP]
GuyS
Alias (AKA):

Postby MechBob » November 1st 2018, 9:22pm

You definitely have one form of a protocol.I have seen on s10 and silverado forums something about buying a module,or using a relay and capacitor,when doing headlight swaps,you might want to check there.
MechBob
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years

Postby AstroWill » November 1st 2018, 9:40pm

No the light circuits are dumb, no communication going on there at all.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby TurnNburn » November 1st 2018, 9:42pm

GuyS wrote:Do you know what it does TurnNburn?

I am not sure what you mean by this. CAN is just a way for modules to communicate with each other that some engineer invented to save .7 lbs of wires and to make our lives hell.

The only parts of CAN in my van that I know is a small loop that includes the TCM, BCM, ECM and the OBD2 plug.
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years

Postby AstroWill » November 1st 2018, 9:44pm

He is just wondering if he needs anything special with his headlights. Because he looks up LED lights and sees that some are CANBUS compatible so it's confusing him. At least that is what I'm taking it as.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years

Postby TurnNburn » November 1st 2018, 9:47pm

I am 100% sure that the canbus does NOT control the headlights directly. but like I said, it DOES include the BCM. As long as the BCM is working and communicating and the signal is leaving the BCM to turn the lights on, then the lights should turn on.

Birdshake wrote:My 2005 definitely does not have CANBUS.

I think you should take a look at a wiring diagram and then tell me that it doesn't have can lines through it
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby GuyS [OP] » November 1st 2018, 10:01pm

Yes thanks Astrowill. You said what I meant!
Original Poster [OP]
GuyS
Alias (AKA):

Postby TurnNburn » November 1st 2018, 10:20pm

LEDs aren't good for your car(or the people driving in front of you), buts its not because of the canbus (non)issue
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby MechBob » November 1st 2018, 10:33pm

I really really hate the cheaper LED headlight conversions,coming at me,they throw a wall of bright across all 4 lanes of highway,and,in fog and snow,are much worse.
MechBob

Postby AstroWill » November 1st 2018, 10:49pm

Sure, the PCM talks to the BCM, EBCM, ABS, scan-tools, etc through a type of CAN-bus, however it's more complex than that. The CAN-bus is the digital connection between the components that are talking to each other, where as OBD2 like your scan tool is the language that it speaks. So when you plug in your scan tool and request PIDs, that message gets sent from your tool to the PCM over the CAN-bus, and then the PCM responds back over the CAN-bus to the scan tool answering your request.

So technically anything that is OBD2 compliant utilizes a CAN-bus, but some only between the PCM and your scan tool. Where as newer vehicles a lot of things communicate over the CAN which is why you see CANBUS compatible labeled on some replacement lights. In our vans it's only the main computers talking to each other and to a connected scan tool.

On our vans, outside of the main computers communicating everything else is analog, like the lights, mirrors, seats, radio, etc.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby Corsemoto » November 1st 2018, 10:58pm

Have van, CAN bus. :mrgreen:
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby Birdshake » November 1st 2018, 11:03pm

TurnNburn wrote:I am 100% sure that the canbus does NOT control the headlights directly. but like I said, it DOES include the BCM. As long as the BCM is working and communicating and the signal is leaving the BCM to turn the lights on, then the lights should turn on.

Birdshake wrote:My 2005 definitely does not have CANBUS.

I think you should take a look at a wiring diagram and then tell me that it doesn't have can lines through it

I meant there is no canbus system to notify the driver that a bulb is out. There is no need for a resistor to run LED's to trick the computer.
Yes the BCM controls the lights.
2005 4WD Astro Cargo
NP236 3.73 Eaton Posi
S10 HD Springs 3" blocks
245/75/16 BFG KO2
KYB Monomax
Birdshake
Years of Membership: Birdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby TurnNburn » November 1st 2018, 11:09pm

AstroWill wrote:Sure, the PCM talks to the BCM, EBCM, ABS, scan-tools, etc through a type of CAN-bus, however it's more complex than that. The CAN-bus is the digital connection between the components that are talking to each other, where as OBD2 like your scan tool is the language that it speaks. So when you plug in your scan tool and request PIDs, that message gets sent from your tool to the PCM over the CAN-bus, and then the PCM responds back over the CAN-bus to the scan tool answering your request.

So technically anything that is OBD2 compliant utilizes a CAN-bus, but some only between the PCM and your scan tool. Where as newer vehicles a lot of things communicate over the CAN which is why you see CANBUS compatible labeled on some replacement lights. In our vans it's only the main computers talking to each other and to a connected scan tool.

On our vans, outside of the main computers communicating everything else is analog, like the lights, mirrors, seats, radio, etc.

Thanks Will for using that smart talk you got to clear it up what I was trying to say
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby 1lowcab » November 2nd 2018, 12:41am

Wait......are we talking about cannabis????

:rofl:
1lowcab
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby Meterpig » November 2nd 2018, 4:28am

It's a limited canbus system.
How many sensors, fuses or computers does a Bw4472 need? Zero.

1999-2005 FSM PDF (Torrent) https://www.thepiratebay.org/torrent/30867489/astro_safari_van_fsm_factory_service_manaul

2004 Astro-https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-F7bd6R/
Meterpig
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Meterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 63
Alias (AKA): meterpig
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: Not a minivan

Next