malfunctioning instrument cluster

malfunctioning instrument cluster

Postby jockofalltrades [OP] » December 26th 2011, 2:43am

Hi everyone out there. Im a brand new member and obviously duh ! looking for some info . I have just had a new engine fitted in my Safari 98 4.3 awd . The replacement engine is great but the cluster isnt working correct now . It was before . I have had it back to the mechanic a few times but things still arent right . Basically the eng temp gauge doesnt budge . Mechanic has changed sensor from old engine and tells me his code reader says everything is okay . He fitted a new cluster , same result , but now the fuel needle on this one vibrates . It doesnt swing wildly , just vibrates with ignition on , eng running or not . It moves about 1/8 the tank in vibs where ever the fuel level is . Any ideas ?

I have no idea what year the replacement engine came from .

We also have a 95 Astro awd that you guys could have saved me a fortune on fixing if I had found this site sooner !
Original Poster [OP]
jockofalltrades
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: jockofalltrades has been a member for 9 full yearsjockofalltrades has been a member for 9 full yearsjockofalltrades has been a member for 9 full yearsjockofalltrades has been a member for 9 full yearsjockofalltrades has been a member for 9 full yearsjockofalltrades has been a member for 9 full yearsjockofalltrades has been a member for 9 full yearsjockofalltrades has been a member for 9 full yearsjockofalltrades has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): jock
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • CEL not working correctly, Instrument panel?
    by Themistocles » November 28th 2020, 5:40pm in Electrical
    1 Replies
    Last post by TBLBill View the latest post
    December 4th 2020, 1:25pm
  • Instrument pinout 97 Astro
    by Delshan » December 6th 2020, 12:43pm in Electrical
    2 Replies
    Last post by Delshan View the latest post
    December 7th 2020, 1:07pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 20th 2021, 6:42pm

Re: malfunctioning instrument cluster

Postby Phantom » December 26th 2011, 3:13am

Welcome

There are 2 coolant temp sensors , one is located on the front of engine that sends data to the PCM ,
the other is located on the cylinder head and sends signal to the gauge , that wire may have been disconnected in the swap and overlooked , or bent broken tab or wire

I would put the old cluster back in and fix the other sensor wire
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Postby jockofalltrades [OP] » December 26th 2011, 6:08pm

Okay , so sensor on top of engine in front of anti pooh pooh valve is old style sensor straight to gauge not running through computer ( pcm ??? ) . Cant find a sensor on front of engine , but there does seem to be one on the right hand side as you look in and down at radiator .

What do you think of fuel gauge flickering , as it didnt do it before , is that why you are suggesting just replace old gauges ?

Interesting thing is that mechanic changed the cluster and didnt tell me . I thought my temp gauge was different , lighter shade of orange on needle . It was only when I checked my trip and saw that I had done 610 kms on 1/4 tank of gas and that my mileometer was now 266000 instead of 366000 that I went and questioned him !

Is the cluster easy to change .

Thanks for the help so far

Lez
Original Poster [OP]
jockofalltrades
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: jockofalltrades has been a member for 9 full yearsjockofalltrades has been a member for 9 full yearsjockofalltrades has been a member for 9 full yearsjockofalltrades has been a member for 9 full yearsjockofalltrades has been a member for 9 full yearsjockofalltrades has been a member for 9 full yearsjockofalltrades has been a member for 9 full yearsjockofalltrades has been a member for 9 full yearsjockofalltrades has been a member for 9 full years

Postby Phantom » December 26th 2011, 6:37pm

jockofalltrades wrote:Okay , so sensor on top of engine in front of anti pooh pooh valve is old style sensor straight to gauge not running through computer ( pcm ??? ) . Cant find a sensor on front of engine , but there does seem to be one on the right hand side as you look in and down at radiator .

What do you think of fuel gauge flickering , as it didnt do it before , is that why you are suggesting just replace old gauges ?

Interesting thing is that mechanic changed the cluster and didnt tell me . I thought my temp gauge was different , lighter shade of orange on needle . It was only when I checked my trip and saw that I had done 610 kms on 1/4 tank of gas and that my mileometer was now 266000 instead of 366000 that I went and questioned him !

Is the cluster easy to change .

Thanks for the help so far

Lez

Yes the cluster is very easy to change

I would put old cluster back in because the olny problem you had was temp gauge stopped working when van was worked on

the plastic bezel on the face of dash simply pulls out , just go slow all around it gradually pulling it out evenly ,, the cluster is held in by 4 screws , remove them and just grab each side of the cluster and pull it out , slowly , best to disconnect the battery to avoid any spark arcing on the cluster to avoid damage to cluster because there is a plug that will be unplugged as you pull it out , then take other cluster , and push it in , put all stuff back on :D
Attachments
4.3L temp sensors.JPG
Sensor for temp gauge reading
4.3L temp sensors.JPG (65.88 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
GEN2 coolant temp sensor item 305.png
Temp sensor that feeds data to PCM item 305
GEN2 coolant temp sensor item 305.png (22.38 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby jockofalltrades [OP] » January 3rd 2012, 9:34pm

Okay , so I have taken out the replacement instrument cluster and put the old one back in .

Guess what , temp gauge still doesnt work , and original fuel gauge which was okay is vibrating like replacement one was .

I took wiring plug off temp sensor and made sure prongs and plug were okay and put themback on . Guess I need a new sensor ???

Or do I ! Any further ideas gentlemen :confused:
Original Poster [OP]
jockofalltrades
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby JayDubya » January 12th 2012, 1:44pm

You could have a loose or corroded ground. I don't know where the main ground points on these vans are, so I can't guide you, but it is definitely worth double-checking them. One loose ground can cause multiple problems.
'99 Astro Mark III conversion hack job
JayDubya
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: JayDubya has been a member for 11 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 11 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 11 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 11 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 11 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 11 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 11 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 11 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 11 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 11 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: RWD Hightop conv