Keep blowing brake fuse? Digital instrument panel cuts out.

Keep blowing brake fuse? Digital instrument panel cuts out.

Postby OGWillikers [OP] » December 17th 2018, 1:49am

Hello there! I was just wondering if anyone had an idea of where this electrical gremlin could be hiding. I keep blowing this fuse. (please excuse the incorrect fuse type...I blew all the ones the store had while chasing down the issue)

I replace the fuse and it'll either blow immediately or I'll get a few minutes. Once it pops, the cluster goes out. Connected my meter up to the contacts and only see 0.65a current when things are working normally.

I'm really confused as to what this fuse has to do with the cluster. Any ideas?

1992 Astro LT, 4.3L TBI RWD, ~62,000 miles (not a typo)
Original Poster [OP]
OGWillikers
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: OGWillikers has been a member for 2 full yearsOGWillikers has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Casey
Van Model Year: 1992
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 RWD TBI

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Keep blowing brake fuse? Digital instrument panel cuts

Postby OGWillikers [OP] » December 19th 2018, 2:37am

I solved my issue after finally coming across a diagram that showed me everything the brake fuse powers. Seems silly that the cluster is powered by it when there's 2 other fuses that have labels that imply power to the gauges.

Bundle of wires in a crumbly and greasy rubber-like conduit that runs over the transmission decided to vomit electrons and blend their insulation into a work of modern art on to the transmission. Created a massive wad of wires individually wrapped in electrical tape, more conduit and zip ties to "fix" the issue until after the holidays.

Also realized the O2 sensor was loose enough to be rattling around, so fixed that while I was under there.

So yeah, if your digital cluster shuts off one day, you get a check engine light after driving for a while, and your brake fuse is blown... check the bundle of wires kinda near the O2 sensor on the passenger side of the transmission that runs back over to the driver side.
Original Poster [OP]
OGWillikers
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: OGWillikers has been a member for 2 full yearsOGWillikers has been a member for 2 full years

Postby Astro Pop » December 19th 2018, 2:46am

Thanks for the heads up. Sorry no one replied. Xmas and all that....
Astro Pop
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Astro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Xfirepop
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: AWD - 5 inch lift

Postby OGWillikers [OP] » December 19th 2018, 3:01am

It's all gravy. I found good resources on this site that sent me down a rabbit hole and led me to the fix.

I'm no stranger to seeing people respond to their own questions with "I fixed it, thanks" with no further info, so I made sure to not add to that problem.

Now I just gotta figure out what to do with this 214k digital cluster I bought used before realizing the brake fuse was blown. I'd rather have my original ~62k mile cluster. Learned a lesson, check ALL fuses first before throwing parts at it.
Original Poster [OP]
OGWillikers
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)