Starter wire not adding up pls help

Re: Starter wire not adding up pls help

Postby AstroWill » January 3rd 2019, 9:18pm

You can always link to it,
Will wrote: quote it

Maybe do both:

It's nice/helpful to get context as well from where it was copied from.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: I love peaches

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • What guage battery cables 4.3 lt starter motors?
    by Astrojohn » January 23rd 2021, 7:28am in Electrical
    3 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    January 26th 2021, 2:14am
  • Stuck ignition key after starter repair.
    by petema » January 29th 2021, 12:08pm in Electrical
    3 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    February 15th 2021, 9:11pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 28th 2021, 2:02am

Postby qbubuu [OP] » January 3rd 2019, 11:30pm

sixsix wrote:Really...

All these cameras - everybody has a flash phone camera.
No Pics though.

A photo before you started would be good - now you can shoot a couple.

People take photos of the dessert they had 2 weeks ago and their new underwear in the bathroom every hour.

No pics of your Starter, Battery or Fusible Link in this anxious situation??
It is my understanding - " you came here " and these guys speak from experience and time and Money !!
Questions?

Mike

I apologize. I intended on posting pictures but the flash on my phone won't work due to a low battery. Basically, I've wired things as depicted in a few diagrams I've recieved and i no longer get a grinding sound indicative of a bad starter but all I get is a click. I don't THINK I fried a fusible link because the sparks came when reattaching the battery and it was only touching for a few moments but there were sparks and a wisp of smoke. Kinda hard to take pictures under the circumstances honestly. Dont have a jack or anything. Its been raining and dark and my phone battery has been low and the angle is super awkward as well. I'm hoping to have this resolved asap and I'll definitely try to post any information to help the next man.
Original Poster [OP]
qbubuu
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: qbubuu has been a member for 2 full yearsqbubuu has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Daniel
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Re: STARTER WIRING NOT ADDING UP PLS HELP

Postby qbubuu [OP] » January 3rd 2019, 11:32pm

TBLBill wrote:You'll only know for sure if you wire everything correctly and try it, or test the wire with a multimeter to see if you burned up a fusible link. After my frame swap I mixed up two starter wires; I didn't have sparks, but the alternator wasn't charging the battery. There's a fusible link in the thick wire that goes from the starter to the alternator that may have been burned up.
Try connecting everything properly and see what works and what doesn't. The loops on each of the wires connecting to the starter should fit in their studs pretty closely, so you should be able to easily tell which wires go to which posts.

Well I've wired everything up the way I understand it should be and there is no grinding but just a click and no start.
Original Poster [OP]
qbubuu
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: qbubuu has been a member for 2 full yearsqbubuu has been a member for 2 full years

Re: STARTER WIRING NOT ADDING UP PLS HELP

Postby qbubuu [OP] » January 3rd 2019, 11:36pm

TBLBill wrote:Price from a mechanic depends on what went wrong. If you just burned the fusible link, you'll need to replace the wire from the starter that feeds the alternator, which shouldn't be much more than an hour in the shop. There's always a chance that something else got fried though - alternator, battery, starter, starter relay circuit and other connecting parts. Don't freak out at the chances, just realize the possibility.

Now that the van isn't starting, does the starter crank or not? From your post it seems to me that you just didn't connect the power wire, so it arced between the starter and the wire, making sparks and causing something down there to smoke. If the starter isn't cranking, then you may have burned out the starter or some of the electrical parts going to it.

The wisp of smoke came from the battery when attempting to reconnect. With everything properly connected (at least as i understand it) I'm getting no crank, no start. Just a click. The starter and the wires seem fine visually.
Original Poster [OP]
qbubuu
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby TurnNburn » January 4th 2019, 12:07am

It doesnt matter how fast you think you were able to remove the battery cable. the fuseable link is a circuit protector designed to protect the circuit from damage from improper wiring, like what you did. Lightning happens pretty fast too and look how much damage that can do. no sparky spark or smoke is a good sign. clicking noise sounds like you solenoid is getting power now, but your fusible link still may be dead and not sending juice to the starter motor itself. or perhaps your battery has lost its charge. Do you have any sort of multi meter to check for voltage at the big stud of the starter?
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby AstroWill » January 4th 2019, 12:18am

Never seen a fusible link in the battery cable that runs to the starter.

Sure sounds like a dead battery to me.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby TurnNburn » January 4th 2019, 12:31am

:shrug:

There isnt one in mine at least. Usually if a vehicle has it, its right at the positive terminal. Just reiterating what others have mentioned
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years

Postby AstroWill » January 4th 2019, 12:41am

TurnNburn wrote::shrug:

There isnt one in mine at least. Usually if a vehicle has it, its right at the positive terminal. Just reiterating what others have mentioned

Not on any Astro that I have ever seen. Yep, it would have to be at the battery to serve it's purpose. I have my money on a dead/dying battery. But the OP answered some of the other questions, not the ones I asked about having the battery or starter tested. Maybe the OP is out there getting those tested as we speak.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby TurnNburn » January 4th 2019, 12:57am

one can only hope they might take our suggestions seriously
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby markmitch » January 4th 2019, 1:11am

The fuseable link is actually in the wire between the starter and the alternator it should be a section of wire right by the starter. At least on my 89 that's where it is. It protects both the starter and the alternator. I believe it was 10 gauge originally but mine is 1 gauge because I did the upgrade to go along with my 145 amp alternator and high torque mini starter.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 626
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby AstroWill » January 4th 2019, 1:15am

markmitch wrote:The fuseable link is actually in the wire between the starter and the alternator it should be a section of wire right by the starter. At least on my 89 that's where it is. It protects both the starter and the alternator. I believe it was 10 gauge originally but mine is 1 gauge because I did the upgrade to go along with my 145 amp alternator and high torque mini starter.

We all know about that fusible link, and it protects the wire going up to the alternator, doesn't do anything to protect the starter. That wire doesn't even have to exist for the starter to function.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby Sailing_Faith » January 4th 2019, 1:46am

Ok, so first... welcome to the forum. You will get this figured out.

So, the starter circuit basically goes from the ignition switch, to a relay under the hood and then to the starter solenoid (built into the starter).

When you first had the problem, you mention hearing something 'grinding'... that would likely be the starter motor... it sounds like you replaced it.... so you have new starter right? (just to clarify and help trouble shoot).

if you have all three wires hooked up correctly, and you are still not having luck you 'may' have gotten a new starter that is defective.... you 'may' also have damaged something when you shorted out the wire that was not connected.

so, first... lets troubleshoot before you spend any more $$$... :) You can start by some really simple stuff... check the connections on the battery. It is easy to have a ground cable get corrosion on it and make a poor connection. this would cause both your original problem and the one you have now.

Also important to note is that the starter may not have been your original problem at all... it could have been the relay, or even something else...

So, clean the connections to the battery and make sure they are tight.

While you have the positive connection disconnected, you can also re-check the connection to the starter. You really should not have much trouble now that you know that there are 3 wires that connect... one small terminal, and two larger wires on the large terminal.

As Will pointed out, the second wire on the large terminal (the smaller of the two) is only going to the alternator. You probably had that one connected the first time you installed the starter.... that wire would not have sparked. The large wire is like the main 'pipe' for current to go from the battery to the starter.

Once you have it all hooked back up, you try it... do the lights on the dash come on? Do the gauges move? Do you have a meter to see what voltage you have at the battery?

if this has not fixed it, try opening the fuse box under the hood. Check the diagram to identify the relay marked 'starter relay" Have someone turn the key while you feel the top of the relay with your fingers... can you feel it clicking on?

There are two other identical relays, try swapping one of the others into that spot... see what happens.

If it clicks, and you still dont get any action at the starter then you can try tapping on the (yes, I know it is new) starter with a hammer... even if it is new, it may work (note: this is what you would want to try in the first place before you replace the starter)....

Next step would be to either try to read the voltage on the small wire with a meter while the key is turned (if you have a meter) or removing the starter and taking it back to the shop you bought it from and ask them to test it to make sure it works.

Post back here to report you findings.

Good luck!
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Sailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA): s/v Faith
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: SLT 4.3l RWD G80

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » January 4th 2019, 3:30am

qbubuu wrote: ... I apologize. I intended on posting pictures but the flash on my phone won't work due to a low battery. ...

Sorry to hear about that pesky Battery. :naughty:

Seems that's a theme here...
Thanks for the update.

Mike

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects

sixsixsixsix is online!
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Previous