1995 Astro "under-hood fuse-relay center?

Re: 1995 Astro "under-hood fuse-relay center?

Postby Big_kid » February 6th 2019, 3:14pm

I guess I blue that response. :shrug:

95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Ignition switched power source under hood
    by snailsafari » September 4th 2020, 10:45pm in Electrical
    3 Replies
    Last post by Sailing_FaithSailing_Faith is online! View the latest post
    September 6th 2020, 6:12pm
  • Convenience Center: Part numbers for pigtails?
    by HerbieHerbie is online! » September 15th 2020, 9:13pm in Electrical
    7 Replies
    Last post by HerbieHerbie is online! View the latest post
    September 17th 2020, 3:58pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 28th 2020, 6:32pm

Postby zazooma [OP] » February 6th 2019, 5:22pm

We had a record warm day yesterday, so I was able to confirm that the fuel pump was and is working. The 1995 Astro van uses the four prong relay, meaning that the primer fuel pump signal does NOT go through the normally closed relay contacts.

One way I was able to power the fuel pump was by putting a paper clip across the relay socket terminals. Was it 85 and 30? It was 80-something and 30, but anyway it was the right ones because I could hear it. And after that, I found the female insulated spade lug in the harness, nearby, and powered it that way, too.

But still, when I turn the key, I get an initial ignition "kick" but then it conks out, even with the starter continuously cranking. Today, when it warms up, I'll pull the engine cover and what I think I will find is that after the initial cranks, I am losing the ignition spark.

Unfortunately, warming up today is not going to be like warming up yesterday, andt here was a $100 ticket on the van this morning because the registration expired a few days ago and we have a real nanny-town police department, so if I don't get it running this afternoon, then I have t spring for a $100 tow to get it to a storage lot.
Original Poster [OP]
zazooma
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: zazooma has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » February 6th 2019, 6:12pm

zazooma wrote:But still, when I turn the key, I get an initial ignition "kick" but then it conks out, even with the starter continuously cranking. Today, when it warms up, I'll pull the engine cover and what I think I will find is that after the initial cranks, I am losing the ignition spark.

Odds are you are going to be correct.

zazooma wrote:Unfortunately, warming up today is not going to be like warming up yesterday, andt here was a $100 ticket on the van this morning because the registration expired a few days ago and we have a real nanny-town police department, so if I don't get it running this afternoon, then I have t spring for a $100 tow to get it to a storage lot.

If it was an honest mistake, hope you talk to the DA and judge if necessary. There is a chance they would drop it if you go re-register it. Judges are usually quite decent, more so than most.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby zazooma [OP] » February 6th 2019, 8:29pm

AstroWill wrote:
zazooma wrote:But still, when I turn the key, I get an initial ignition "kick" but then it conks out, even with the starter continuously cranking. Today, when it warms up, I'll pull the engine cover and what I think I will find is that after the initial cranks, I am losing the ignition spark.

Odds are you are going to be correct.

zazooma wrote:Unfortunately, warming up today is not going to be like warming up yesterday, andt here was a $100 ticket on the van this morning because the registration expired a few days ago and we have a real nanny-town police department, so if I don't get it running this afternoon, then I have t spring for a $100 tow to get it to a storage lot.

If it was an honest mistake, hope you talk to the DA and judge if necessary. There is a chance they would drop it if you go re-register it. Judges are usually quite decent, more so than most.

But it's not an honest mistake. I know that I cannot park an unregistered vehicle in the street. Our town is a bedroom community for college students, and the cops diligently enforce nuisance protection statutes. Within the last two months, they have ticketed half a dozen unregistered vehicles in this neighborhood and have gone the next step and put impound-pending notices on for of them.

I've lived here for a decade, and when they have a crackdown, it is because they are zeroing in one a particular nuisance residence, but when they do, they have to crack down on everyone so as to avoid being accused of selective enforcement. Several years ago when "they" were out to get one of my neighbors, they fined him for not having covers on his trashcans and then put delinquency notices on everybody else's trash cans, telling us that f we did not "correct the problem: within 7 days, we were subject to being fined. That homeowner sold his house, and so now we can all put out uncovered trashcans until the next crackdown, but anyway...

I'm thinking that there is something electrical that interdicts or disables the ignition after the prime interval. The temp is up to 57 degrees so I'm about to go outside and give it another shot, but other than confirming that the spark voltage cuts out after the initial cranking, I won't know what to try or look for next.
Original Poster [OP]
zazooma
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: zazooma has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » February 6th 2019, 9:22pm

zazooma wrote:But it's not an honest mistake. I know that I cannot park an unregistered vehicle in the street.

In that case, pay your fine with smile :)

zazooma wrote:I'm thinking that there is something electrical that interdicts or disables the ignition after the prime interval. The temp is up to 57 degrees so I'm about to go outside and give it another shot, but other than confirming that the spark voltage cuts out after the initial cranking, I won't know what to try or look for next.

If you aren't getting spark from the coil, then you check to see if the coil has power and is getting the signal from the ICM and follow it down the line.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Previous