intermittent alternator charging

intermittent alternator charging

Postby doomytunes [OP] » January 5th 2020, 2:22am

Hello all!

I've been using this site a lot over the last few months as I convert a 1995 AWD Astro into a covert camper and it has been an immense help. I got a good 6000 miles in over the past 2.5 months until it all started coming apart...

As I was driving one night, my blinkers started flashing very slowly and I noticed the voltage dropping from its usual spot between 13-14 down to about 9 volts over about 5 minutes. As it got that low the engine started to backfire and die and as I was slowly rolling over the rumble strips on the side of the highway, it suddenly jumped back to normal voltage and continued driving as usual. Drove okay for a day and then started to do it again. Pulled into O'Reillys and they said the alternator and battery looked fine, but the voltage regulator was bad. I replaced the full alternator and now sometimes it charges, sometimes it doesn't. When it's working, im getting 14.5 volts registering on the gauge and at the battery, and about 11.5 when it's not. Sometimes I start it and it doesn't charge at all, sometimes it does for 20 minutes then drops down again.

The strange thing is that when it's low, I put a voltmeter on the battery terminals and get 11.5, but if I put one end on the alternator B+ and the other on a ground or on the battery neg, it shows 14.5 volts, so I don't think the new alternator is bad (but I could very well be wrong). Is this a symptom of a bad voltage regulator still, or does it sound like the fusible link between the two is bad? I have been trying to find that link and am having trouble tracking it down too...

Any help would be very appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Jack
Original Poster [OP]
doomytunes
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Jack
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Good High End Alternator?
    by ri$e*above » June 27th 2020, 8:00pm in Electrical
    16 Replies
    Last post by ri$e*above View the latest post
    July 4th 2020, 2:16am
  • alternator questions
    by markmitch » July 6th 2020, 6:22pm in Electrical
    9 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    July 7th 2020, 11:30pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    August 12th 2020, 4:18am

Re: intermittent alternator charging

Postby chevymaher » January 5th 2020, 3:31am

Heavy wire going from the alt. Look for a fuseable link. It is fried. Should be one between the alt and battery.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby N6KB » January 5th 2020, 7:26am

Regulators have been built in to the alternator since at least the late sixties. Pretty much not serviceable except for replacing the whole alternator. From your voltage measurement directly at the alternator I would say there is nothing wrong with it. There is something wrong with the wiring between the alternator and the rest of the system. A loose connection or bad fuseable link as Chevymaher said.
N6KB
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: N6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): N6KB
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby doomytunes [OP] » January 5th 2020, 4:01pm

That's just what I was thinking too. I'll swap it out and get back to you guys. Thanks for the quick replys!
Original Poster [OP]
doomytunes
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby AstroWill » January 9th 2020, 10:54pm

Check/clean/tighten your connections at the back of the alternator, down at the starter, at the battery, and where the negative attaches to the body.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to starve the troll of attention by ignoring it and going about your business.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA):

Postby doomytunes [OP] » January 16th 2020, 8:13pm

It worked! Fusible link was bad. thanks for the help everyone.
Original Poster [OP]
doomytunes
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby AstroWill » January 17th 2020, 2:32am

Awesome, glad you got it fixed!

Trolls take away from productive work, best to starve the troll of attention by ignoring it and going about your business.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA):