P0420 code after coil change

P0420 code after coil change

Postby sieng123 [OP] » January 12th 2020, 2:57am

I have a 1999 safari. It started running rough in wet and damp weather and then finally wouldn't start at all. Took the dog house off and cranked it over and could see blue flashes coming from the coil. I replaced the coil with a new AC delco and it fired right up, runs smoother than ever. However, about 5 miles down the road I got a check engine light, scanned it and turned out to be a P0420. Never had a check engine light in the 170,000 miles on it before. Don't have a clue what the issue could be. I have never changed the cat, exhaust, or any O2 sensors, its all original. A strange thing about it, after resetting the CEL, it will come back on in warmer weather sooner than colder weather. When the temp is around 32 F (0 C) the CEL will come on in a couple days, but when the temp is about 5 F (-15 C) it will take a week to ten days until it comes back on. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks for the help!!!!
Original Poster [OP]
sieng123
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: sieng123 has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • ICM & Ignition Coil Connector
    by OldSchoolNoe » January 30th 2021, 2:03am in Electrical
    1 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    January 30th 2021, 4:29am
  • Electrical gremlins after battery replacement
    by Yellowstone2Yukon » November 30th 2020, 3:39pm in Electrical
    3 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    December 1st 2020, 1:07am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 11th 2021, 10:38am

Re: P0420 code after coil change

Postby Leeann_93 » January 12th 2020, 3:22am

PO420 can mean back upstream oxygen sensors, but it also can mean that the cat is not operating efficiently. On my white van, that meant the cat was no longer efficient because it was damaged by the misfires caused by the lack of tuneups by the PO. It was free-flowing, but not working. On my ‘05 van, the cat was irreparably damaged by the leaking injectors and ignition “tuning” meant to cover for the failing injectors, so it was plugged - almost completely.

The leaking spark on the coil means that the plugs weren’t firing properly and unburned fuel was dumped into the exhaust for a while, and unburned fuel will melt a catalyst pretty quickly.

First thing to do is to replace both upstream and downstream oxygen sensors, and not with Bosch sensors. Get Delphi or NTK sensors only. If the code persists or comes back, you probably are going to have to replace the y-pipe.

You’ve hopefully fixed the ignition problem that caused the cat to fail, so there should be no issues once you replace the cat.

Warmer weather lets the vehicle go into closed loop more quickly because the van warms up to temp more quickly. Sensors don’t report until the van is up to operating temp.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD

Re: P0420 code after coil change

Postby AstroWill » January 12th 2020, 5:24pm

sieng123 wrote:I have a 1999 safari. It started running rough in wet and damp weather and then finally wouldn't start at all. Took the dog house off and cranked it over and could see blue flashes coming from the coil. I replaced the coil with a new AC delco and it fired right up, runs smoother than ever.

What usually kills the ignition coil is a failing secondary ignition system. I would check your cap/rotor/wires/plugs and also check for Pancake Distributor Disease while you are in there.

sieng123 wrote:However, about 5 miles down the road I got a check engine light, scanned it and turned out to be a P0420. Never had a check engine light in the 170,000 miles on it before. Don't have a clue what the issue could be. I have never changed the cat, exhaust, or any O2 sensors, its all original. A strange thing about it, after resetting the CEL, it will come back on in warmer weather sooner than colder weather. When the temp is around 32 F (0 C) the CEL will come on in a couple days, but when the temp is about 5 F (-15 C) it will take a week to ten days until it comes back on. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks for the help!!!!

The difference in time might be because everything has to reach a certain state before the PCM decides that it can look at the rear sensor to see if the cat is working. Think temperature/closed loop for x amount of time.
I would check what I mentioned above, and then erase the code and see if it returns.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: I love peaches