'02 GMC Safari Won't Start

'02 GMC Safari Won't Start

Postby sephiroth682000 [OP] » January 19th 2020, 10:17am

I bought an '02 Safari about 7 months ago and it has run pretty well for most of it. A few months ago, I started having problems where it wouldn't start. If I let it sit for a day or two, it would start again. I got a misfire code when it wouldn't start so I replaced the spark plugs, the distributor cap, and the distributor rotor. It ran fine for awhile until it happened again. Took it to a shop and they said it was the ignition coil so I replaced that. A couple of weeks ago it stalled on the highway and now it won't start at all. It has a new battery, a new crankshaft sensor, new fuel pump and fuel filter. I have checked all the fuses and relays. Everything seems to have power where it is supposed to. When I try to start it, it will crank but not turn over. I haven't been able to test the alternator as I can't get it to start, but I'm not sure that's the problem since it starts off the battery. The battery light and check engine light both come on, but no codes are found by the scanner. Between all these repairs plus all new brake lines, power brake booster, radiator and hoses, serpentine belt, oil cooling lines (had to cut the old ones off), leaf springs, sway bar, and tires, I am really don't want to replace anything that I don't have to. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Sorry for the long post, but I just joined the site and am still learning how to repair things myself and I wanted to give as much information as possible to help narrow things down.
Original Poster [OP]
sephiroth682000
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: '02 GMC Safari Won't Start

Postby Old Barney » January 19th 2020, 4:36pm

Plug an old spark plug in the coil wire on the cap end if you have nice blue or white spark that wire is good. go to a spark plug wire put the plug there and crank you should have the same color. If not get a wire set and replace one at a time. so the wires don't get crossed. This does sound like no spark to the plugs. which needs process of elimination one step at a time. Run the test at night to see if you have spark leakage along the circuit. Plug wires get damaged when changing spark plugs if not removed from the plugs properly. good luck
Old Barney
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Old Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Barney
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: awd

Postby sephiroth682000 [OP] » January 19th 2020, 6:27pm

I went through and rechecked everything. It turns out the ignition coil I purchased was bad. It worked for a little while and died. Just to be sure though, is there something that could else that could have killed the ignition coil? Or was it probably just a bad part?
Original Poster [OP]
sephiroth682000
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby N6KB » January 19th 2020, 11:22pm

Ignition Control Module is supposed to switch the current through the primary winding of the coil. It is the change of primary current that produces the high voltage pulse in the secondary winding of the coil. If you are getting spark then the ICM is switching the current, producing the change in current in the primary and the resultant HV pulse from the secondary. The primary winding of the spark coil is not necessarily rated for continuous DC current through it. It may over heat if the DC current flows most of the time instead of only during the short pulses needed to product the high voltage pulse in the secondary. So it is possible that the ICM is allowing continuous DC current flow and overheating the primary winding of the coil. It may still be able to switch the current on and off, or between two different levels and create a spark.
N6KB
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: N6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): N6KB
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Leeann_93 » January 20th 2020, 4:01am

sephiroth682000 wrote:I went through and rechecked everything. It turns out the ignition coil I purchased was bad. It worked for a little while and died. Just to be sure though, is there something that could else that could have killed the ignition coil? Or was it probably just a bad part?

What brand coil did you install?
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby sephiroth682000 [OP] » January 20th 2020, 7:56am

Leeann_93 wrote:
sephiroth682000 wrote:I went through and rechecked everything. It turns out the ignition coil I purchased was bad. It worked for a little while and died. Just to be sure though, is there something that could else that could have killed the ignition coil? Or was it probably just a bad part?

What brand coil did you install?

AC Delco. And I realize I wasn't really clear in my last post. The new new ignition coil did get the van running. I just want to be sure it keeps working and if this coil goes out then I'll know something in my van is killing them. I'm hoping it was just a bad part though.
Original Poster [OP]
sephiroth682000
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » January 20th 2020, 4:15pm

sephiroth682000 wrote:AC Delco. And I realize I wasn't really clear in my last post. The new new ignition coil did get the van running. I just want to be sure it keeps working and if this coil goes out then I'll know something in my van is killing them. I'm hoping it was just a bad part though.

Much better to find out beforehand. Ignition coils are built really well and are another one of those parts that usually don't 'just die' on their own. Inspect your secondary ignition system to ensure the rest of it is in proper working order. The path to ground is through the spark plug gap, anything that makes that path harder starts to compromise your coil faster.

We have to look at the system as a whole. You said you changed plugs/cap/rotor, that is good but I would also have your ICM tested and check for Pancake Distributor Disease.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to starve the troll of attention by ignoring it and going about your business.
In 2016 ~66mil voted for Clinton, ~63mil voted for Trump and ~100mil(eligible) didn't vote Make a difference - register+vote!
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby sephiroth682000 [OP] » January 20th 2020, 6:12pm

AstroWill wrote:
sephiroth682000 wrote:AC Delco. And I realize I wasn't really clear in my last post. The new new ignition coil did get the van running. I just want to be sure it keeps working and if this coil goes out then I'll know something in my van is killing them. I'm hoping it was just a bad part though.

Much better to find out beforehand. Ignition coils are built really well and are another one of those parts that usually don't 'just die' on their own. Inspect your secondary ignition system to ensure the rest of it is in proper working order. The path to ground is through the spark plug gap, anything that makes that path harder starts to compromise your coil faster.3

We have to look at the system as a whole. You said you changed plugs/cap/rotor, that is good but I would also have your ICM tested and check for Pancake Distributor Disease.

I actually did replace the ICM too. I thought that might have been the problem after I had researched the problem more. I appreciate everyone's help. I will report back if I have more problems, but I'm hoping it's all taken care of. That way if anyone else has similar issues, they can use this to hopefully save some time.
Original Poster [OP]
sephiroth682000
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby karenp » February 1st 2020, 10:18am

Put a little gasoline in the TBI if it starts then you probably need a new fuel filter. I used carb cleaner on mine and it backfired and caught the top of the engine on fire. LOL Anyway I just replaced the fuel filter and you couldn't blow through the old one so I am pretty sure that was the original problem but since the fire, I got a kit with new gaskets and filters for the injectors and am going to change those as well. Good luck. :d
karenp
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: karenp has been a member for 6 full yearskarenp has been a member for 6 full yearskarenp has been a member for 6 full yearskarenp has been a member for 6 full yearskarenp has been a member for 6 full yearskarenp has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Extra Info: 4.3 v6

Postby sephiroth682000 [OP] » February 8th 2020, 7:50pm

karenp wrote:Put a little gasoline in the TBI if it starts then you probably need a new fuel filter. I used carb cleaner on mine and it backfired and caught the top of the engine on fire. LOL Anyway I just replaced the fuel filter and you couldn't blow through the old one so I am pretty sure that was the original problem but since the fire, I got a kit with new gaskets and filters for the injectors and am going to change those as well. Good luck. :d

The fuel filter was one of the first things replaced. And as I mentioned, the second new ignition coil did get things working. At this point, I'm pretty sure the first new coil was just a bad part since they recondition a lot of those parts anyway. I bought a bad thermostat for my previous vehicle. But it's been 3 weeks and it's had no new problems. I will have to replace the brakes and shocks within the next 9-12 months, but I'm gonna wait a little after spending so much time on this van already.
Original Poster [OP]
sephiroth682000
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby karenp » February 13th 2020, 5:50am

Just wanted to warn everyone about the TBI kit with all the seals and injector screens, the rubber was so old they broke so I ended up putting the ones back on. I got it on Amazon fyi.
karenp
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: karenp has been a member for 6 full yearskarenp has been a member for 6 full yearskarenp has been a member for 6 full yearskarenp has been a member for 6 full yearskarenp has been a member for 6 full yearskarenp has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Extra Info: 4.3 v6