Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

dutch door electrical question

6K views 40 replies 11 participants last post by  markmitch 
#1 ·
Not sure where to put this but since it is electrical in nature I thought here would be good. I would like to know if any year Astro or Safari came with dutch doors whereas the key fob has a button to open the hatch? If so what years? I am installing dutch doors on my 89 from a 94 and would like to add a way to open from outside the van such as a key fob or a hidden button so any info would help me to figure out a way to do such a thing to my van. Thanks Mark

#4 ·
Thanks guys I am going to use a weatherproof switch hidden on the body of my van to be able to open it from the outside I think, But I will have to figure out how to unlock it at the same time. Maybe two switches? When I get ready to do the door swap I will post how I dod it.

#6 ·
I got the doors all off but the two lower doors are still together in the middle , the key will not open them and there an electric door lock switch holding them together I need the wiring diagram for the rear electric door lock set up so I know where to put power to open them-Anyone?

#8 ·
I am not sure I am reading your post correctly: But on my '98, the two lower doors are purely mechanical latches.
The hatch is a solenoid operated linkage, operated by the switch in the key lock button.
On mine, the electrical switch(in the key lock button) began to get flaky, and finally quit completely.
I removed the hatch inner trim pieces and was able to get at the linkage, and was able to get the hatch open.
The key lock and push-button switch can be disassembled ( carefully) and the contacts can be cleaned. In my case, I found an assembly in a P' n P'. Removing the key lock/push button assembly requires the removal of the rear window wiper assembly ( if installed). I replaced the original switch assembly.
Since I do a significant amount of camping and Amateur radio stuff from the back of my van, I wanted an easy way to open the rear hatch from the inside. I simply wired around the contacts and installed a small push button switch on the lower edge of the window trim panel ( wired in (parallel with the contacts on the external switch) .
If I am inside and want to pop the hatch, I can just push the button and the hatch releases. One of the switch wires that I need to tap into was purple. The other might have been orange.

Rod J

#9 ·
markmitch said:
Not sure where to put this but since it is electrical in nature I thought here would be good.
Moved to electrical.

Mobile electronics is more along the lines of:
me.png

#12 ·
My 2000, both upper hatch and lower doors BOTH have locking electronic solenoids.
They are controlled by toggle switch (on doors) or by key fob.
Upper hatch also has a mechanical key and electric pushbutton...
..lower doors do not (locks are only controlled by solenoid)

In other words, if the electronics fail, you're kind of screwed!

#15 ·
Rod's Trucks said:
"...controlled by toggle switch (on doors)" ?? 'Toggle switch'
Do you mean the Lock/Unlock key switch/push button, that I have to push to open the hatch on my '98.
Rod J
Yes.. same thing by my definition, but you are correct.
It's a push button that toggles back/forth between lock and unlock.

#16 ·
Yes to all above,lol. If memory is correct, there were at least 3 different systems for astros with dutch doors, earlier ones did not unlock when other doors were unlocked, like Musicmans. However, i really was not going to get into that until Mark has them mounted and ready to wire. OK gotta run,bbl.

#17 ·
I took the nuts off the inside of one of the doors that hold the u shaped mechanism in place so I got the doors apart but the u shaped part is still in the locking mechanism for the doors so I will have to figure out a way to power it and get it to release. I will not be installing these till I get the new seals and all that so I don't end up with a leaking situation, But thanks to all of you for the assistance. Mark

#18 ·
I eventually had to cut the u shaped piece to get it apart, I went to a pnp and got the door locking mechanism and the u shaped part for10 bucks. However I do need color codes for the switch wires if anyone has access. I had written all the info down prior to cutting the harness to get it out of the dash but I seem to have lost the written down stuff. The manual does not show wiring for the three switches, ie, push to pop hatch, wiper, and rear defrost. If anyone has access I would appreciate it. Meanwhile I will be building a console to mount the three switches. Thanks Mark.

#19 ·
I am on it, Mark.

See if you can see these w/ enough detail - I can zoom in on any detail you need. Got nothing else to do ...

Pg 156 - RR Window Defogger

Pg 157 - RR Window Defogger
You probably won't need these in Cal., but...

Pg 160 - RR Window W-W

Pg 161 - RR Window W-W

Pg 170 - RR Liftgate Release

Pg 171 - RR Liftgate Release

Pg 194 - RR Liftgate Components

Pg 195 - RR Liftgate Components

Hope these help.

#20 ·
I can't get those to zoom in correctly.

Try these:

DSCF5272.JPG
Pg 170 - RR Liftgate Release

DSCF5273.JPG
Pg 171 - RR Liftgate Release

And those suck, too - they expand to full size, but my photos suck here on these terribly.
I will shoot them in natural light tomorrow and use our Nikon. If it's not raining.

#21 ·
Ok more questions: anyone know the location of the rear defogger time relay? Is it the little black plastic box cause my diagram says the wires should be pink/black orange /black, black, lt blue, and purple /white but mine are gray, orange/black, black, red, green,and dark blue at the box. kind of confusing. If anyone has a picture of this device that would be great. Thanks, Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.