electrical question for you smart guys

electrical question for you smart guys

Postby markmitch [OP] » March 30th 2020, 12:32am

Ok so I am swapping the stock barn doors for the dutch doors from a 94 onto my 89 . My questions pertain to the electrical side of this swap. I have the wiring books for both vans so what I want to do is add another switch into the mix so if I am in the rear of the van I can have a button there to open the hatch along with the stock button on the dash. Is this possible? Can I just wire it into the existing system or do I need to add anything to make it work? These buttons have 4 wires attached to them. So I figure I can grab another switch from pick n pull and mount it in the rear inside the van. I can grab the switch and the plug to make it easier. Thanks I know how to read wiring schematics but have never done two switches in line like this. Thanks Mark
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 606
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RS V8

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Curious electrical issues, getting worse fast.
    by kittenflaps » May 1st 2020, 9:54pm in Electrical
    12 Replies
    Last post by kittenflaps View the latest post
    May 23rd 2020, 12:54pm
  • Short in electrical
    by Joseph Leon » May 2nd 2020, 7:59pm in Electrical
    1 Replies
    Last post by Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online! View the latest post
    May 2nd 2020, 8:37pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 21st 2020, 2:43am

Re: electrical question for you smart guys

Postby augidog » March 30th 2020, 12:55am

Coming at you from my 1995 service manuals...

Looks to me like 2 of the wires on the panel switch are for the bulb.

The switch itself merely grounds a hot wire (the red one coming from the LIFTGATE LOCK/LATCH MODULE.)

You could have a hundred grounding switches off that red wire, all around the van, for coolness of course, or in this case just tap into the wire going to the LIFTGATE KEY SWITCH.

No need to buy an original part, I'd find a heavily sealed 2-wire momentary push button, something easy to conceal and just as easy to locate blind.
Last edited by augidog on March 30th 2020, 1:47am, edited 7 times in total.
Scanned original Chevrolet-GMC Dealer "Product Information Guides."
Detailed Options w/RPO's. Learn all about your Astro/Safari's first build.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=142268
augidog
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Augie
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: AWD High-Top

Postby Rod's Trucks » March 30th 2020, 1:01am

Markmitch,
I added a push-button the the interior of the rear hatch, when I was in there, repairing a malfunctioning key lock push-button. It switches a small amount of current, so you do not need anything very heavy duty, but a waterproof switch would be a good suggestion. Mine were from E-bay, and very inexpensive.
In my '98, with the original dutch door, there is a 'always hot' wire in that bundle in the hatch door.
I just installed a small momentary push-button switch in the window trim panel to the left side ( looking from the inside) of the grab handle. I can release the hatch from the inside with the push of the button. It is quite handy if I am camping and I want to get out the back, or to just crack it for some fresh air.
I will try to find my notes on the two colors involved, but from my somewhat porous memory, I think they were purple (quite sure of that one) and orange.
I wrote it up on the other site some time go.
Rod
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby markmitch [OP] » March 30th 2020, 1:24am

Very cool thanks for the help guys, I was planning on doing one on the outside somewhere to at one point. I will do one at the inside of the hatch and a hidden one outside somewhere too. I will write it up on here too.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 606
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby sixsix » March 30th 2020, 1:58am

Mark, seems like the 2 powers and 4 wires on a lighted switch mean 2 of them have to do w/ 'Lighting' the button.
Guess the amp draw between the itty-bitty lamp is a lot less than firing a solenoid or releasing a latch.
And I am not an electrician.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “Everything needs to change except the asshole culture and stupid way of life of the avg. antifa, BLM follower - slobs, cowards, killers w/o any thought that they, IN FACT, are now the Racists.”

sixsix
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby augidog » March 30th 2020, 1:59am

markmitch wrote:Very cool thanks for the help guys, I was planning on doing one on the outside somewhere to at one point. I will do one at the inside of the hatch and a hidden one outside somewhere too. I will write it up on here too.
with pics, I hope. I'm gonna wanna know where you hid that outside button, no special reason just curious :whistle:
Scanned original Chevrolet-GMC Dealer "Product Information Guides."
Detailed Options w/RPO's. Learn all about your Astro/Safari's first build.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=142268
augidog
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Augie
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: AWD High-Top

Postby MechBob » March 30th 2020, 2:16am

Not gonna look it up,again,right now, but some food for thought. i do not think all years astros had the button on the dash. The "key" in the back,does not operate linkage, just allows a switch to make contact,after the key is turned. Seems to me the later years,you did not have to turn the key to push it in and unlatch the top.But, the vehicle had to be unlocked, not a big deal as everyone uses key fobs. Not hard to do with a dual latch relay.Anyway,just some food for thought.
MechBob
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby AstroWill » March 30th 2020, 3:20am

You could do it either way. I have seen it done with two switches where one is a regular lock/unlock switch and another pushbutton switch to activate the liftgate latches. Or you just just wire it with the pushbutton by itself depending on what you desire.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense