could the stock radio be draining my battery?

could the stock radio be draining my battery?

Postby txbanana [OP] » April 25th 2020, 12:25am

So I just got my van back from a water pump repair and the radio light won't turn off now is that usual or should I be concerned?
Attachments
2020-04-24 18.24.25.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
txbanana
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): william
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: passenger

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: could the stock radio be draining my battery?

Postby gman » April 25th 2020, 7:40pm

You could always check the fuse for draw.
To test for parasitic drain, unplug the negative battery cable and set up a multimeter on the 10A scale (though it might be a smaller scale for the radio).
Make sure that your test lead is also plugged into the correct socket.

Put one lead on the battery cable, and the other end on the battery post. Doesn't really matter which way you do it, but if you get negative readings it means you have it backwards, but ti's the same scale just without the -.
Wait a few seconds to a minute (you wake up the PCM when you do this), and see if the current draw drops to 0.
Oh, make sure that you clamp your door switch.
If it doesn't, pull the fuse in the fusebox int he footwell. If it goes away after that, then you have a draw.

You might also be able to achieve this exact same thing by skipping the battery test altogether, and just going straight to the radio fuse.
Set up the DMM on the fuse, and check for current when everything is supposed to be "asleep".
There shouldn't be any current running through that fuse.

EDIT: I saw that you got this done.
You could also go back to the place and ask them to check on it for you since it happened after they did it.
Unlikely, but they could have ripped a wire on the harness, and that wire could have been your "remote" wire, or a signal wire that tells your radio when you do/do not have the ignition on.
Radio could default to on when it's not connected.
Other possibilities include them just testing the car out and pressing things. One of those things could just be something on the radio that says "hey, I always want to dispaly time!".

I'm not really an electrical guy, so I'd also wait for other answers, but this is a basic test you can do.
1999 Chevy Astro Van
gman
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: gman has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Base 4.3 RWD

Postby AstroWill » April 25th 2020, 9:34pm

txbanana wrote:So I just got my van back from a water pump repair and the radio light won't turn off now is that usual or should I be concerned?

Mine only turns on with the key or when you push the button on the front(pwr or clock or something like that), but I don't have that particular radio so I'm not 100% positive, but it should turn off. Maybe the owners manual has something to say about it.

The only way that I could see them being related is that something happened while connecting/disconnecting the battery.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby gman » April 25th 2020, 10:22pm

AstroWill wrote:
txbanana wrote:So I just got my van back from a water pump repair and the radio light won't turn off now is that usual or should I be concerned?

Mine only turns on with the key or when you push the button on the front(pwr or clock or something like that), but I don't have that particular radio so I'm not 100% positive, but it should turn off. Maybe the owners manual has something to say about it.

The only way that I could see them being related is that something happened while connecting/disconnecting the battery.

Can you explain what would/could happen during a battery disconnect?
1999 Chevy Astro Van
gman
Years of Membership: gman has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: Base 4.3 RWD

Postby sixsix » April 25th 2020, 11:39pm

gman wrote: ... Can you explain what would/could happen during a battery disconnect?

Well, if you're not being foolish... I disconnect my Battery w/ a Brass Gizmo so I don't run it down while I take years to repair a couple of doors...

:whistle:

And as far as the OP says...
txbanana wrote:water pump repair

Maybe check w/ the "water pump" guy or gal that did yours.

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects

sixsix
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K