Fuel pump question??

Fuel pump question??

Postby dave1950 [OP] » May 4th 2020, 6:42pm

Hi i am replacing a fuel pump in my 2000 astro and cannot seem to get the lock ring to move. I have tapped it with a hammer and screw driver and moved it about a 1/4 inch but cannot get it to move any further. The pic shows how far I have got. Can someone please advise thx
Attachments
fp1.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
dave1950
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: dave1950 has been a member for 8 full yearsdave1950 has been a member for 8 full yearsdave1950 has been a member for 8 full yearsdave1950 has been a member for 8 full yearsdave1950 has been a member for 8 full yearsdave1950 has been a member for 8 full yearsdave1950 has been a member for 8 full yearsdave1950 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Fuel pump question??

Postby augidog » May 4th 2020, 6:50pm

While I was waiting for the person who has the answer, I'd try knocking it back and forward again, see if it just needs to shed some crust before it gives.
Scanned original Chevrolet-GMC Dealer "Product Information Guides."
Detailed Options w/RPO's. Learn all about your Astro/Safari's first build.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=142268
augidog
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Alias (AKA): Augie
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: AWD High-Top

Postby dave1950 [OP] » May 4th 2020, 6:56pm

thx ive actually done that..from what ive read and seen there is supposed to be a lock somewhere but I cant find anything??
Original Poster [OP]
dave1950
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: dave1950 has been a member for 8 full yearsdave1950 has been a member for 8 full yearsdave1950 has been a member for 8 full yearsdave1950 has been a member for 8 full yearsdave1950 has been a member for 8 full yearsdave1950 has been a member for 8 full yearsdave1950 has been a member for 8 full yearsdave1950 has been a member for 8 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby augidog » May 4th 2020, 7:06pm

dave1950 wrote:thx ive actually done that..from what ive read and seen there is supposed to be a lock somewhere but I cant find anything??
wait, do I see a slightly raised "tab" on the lower right, or just a screwdriver mark?
augidog

Postby dave1950 [OP] » May 4th 2020, 7:18pm

augidog wrote:
dave1950 wrote:thx ive actually done that..from what ive read and seen there is supposed to be a lock somewhere but I cant find anything??
wait, do I see a slightly raised "tab" on the lower right, or just a screwdriver mark?

yes but it is not blocking anything, but seeing you brought that up are those tabs there to lock ring in place?
Original Poster [OP]
dave1950
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby augidog » May 4th 2020, 7:19pm

To be clear, i think I see a raised "stop" on the tank and the flat part of the ring is against it, like a safety. If that's so, there might be another one on the upper left I can't see. I'd explore that while waiting for someone who knows.
Attachments
IMG_20200504_113150_241.jpg
augidog

Postby dave1950 [OP] » May 4th 2020, 8:10pm

thx got it..just needed to put more force to it.
Original Poster [OP]
dave1950
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby gman » May 4th 2020, 8:33pm

Heh. Yeah, that guy doesn't want to come off.
I used a screwdriver (very carefully so that I don't puncture the tank), and a 2x4.
I just thought of how/why impact wrenches worked and hit it several times lightly rather than one or two times hard.
1999 Chevy Astro Van
gman
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 35
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: Base 4.3 RWD

Postby dave1950 [OP] » May 4th 2020, 8:44pm

lol it just gets better..now I think RA sent me the wrong pump.....there is no strainer and the image of the product shows a strainer, unless its an internal one?
Attachments
fp2.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
dave1950
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby gman » May 4th 2020, 11:26pm

Might be easier to tell if you turned them upside down so we could see if there is an attachment point for the strainer.
One way to know, would be to take the strainer off of your old one and see if it clicks into the new one.

Being that they look exactly the same, and I'm assuming that you paid less for that one than you did the one int he van, I highly doubt that they paid anyone to re-design an internal strainer.
They probably tried to make the closest possible thing to the Delco model as possible. But I could be wrong, spectra premiums come with a new wiring harness that was designed to be an improvement over the OEM one.

Anyways, just see if you can pop the old strainer off to see if it fits on the new one.
If it does, I'm sure that the LAPS has one that you can buy. Or, if you're in the luxury situation of being able to return the item and wait on the van over it, then you can probably send it back.
1999 Chevy Astro Van
gman
Alias (AKA):

Postby dave1950 [OP] » May 4th 2020, 11:50pm

definitely an internal strainer no attachments RA says manufacturers tend to change designs etc who knows maybe I got a higher end unit in error :)...I put it in and she fired up nice so I ran it up the highway got it up to 110 km with no issues...also check engine light was out for the first time since god was a cowboy...I also saved about $600 as I cut a hole in the floor 5 years ago...it sure pays to be a member of this forum :)
Original Poster [OP]
dave1950
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » May 5th 2020, 2:54am

You got it, so this is for anyone who reads later: you need to spray the hell out of it with PB or something and whack the hell out of it with a drift and a BFH, roundy-roundy-roundy.

Once it’s out, clean up the pieces that remain on the tank with a piece of sandpaper or a wire brush, then install the new pump with a new o-ring gasket and new lock ring. A little silicone on the new o-ring eases installation.

My new AC Delco pump didn’t come with a strainer or an attachment point for a strainer, either.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby gman » May 5th 2020, 3:28am

I want to buy the Delco, but it's usually 3x the price of the higher end aftermarkets so it's really hard for me to justify.
I too buy the more expensive and tested aftermarket options. Wasn't trying to say anything bad about your pump.

A Delco is a pretty good portion of what I paid for the entire van.
Especially because I have 190k on my van.

I would definitely do it at < 100k though, and even if the van had 100-120k on it.
I think that a higher end aftermarket will be good enough to keep it going for long enough.
1999 Chevy Astro Van
gman
Alias (AKA):

Postby dave1950 [OP] » May 5th 2020, 4:24am

Leeann_93 wrote:You got it, so this is for anyone who reads later: you need to spray the hell out of it with PB or something and whack the hell out of it with a drift and a BFH, roundy-roundy-roundy.

Once it’s out, clean up the pieces that remain on the tank with a piece of sandpaper or a wire brush, then install the new pump with a new o-ring gasket and new lock ring. A little silicone on the new o-ring eases installation.

My new AC Delco pump didn’t come with a strainer or an attachment point for a strainer, either.

so the moral of your post is RA screwed up and sent me a delco instead of a brute?? lol
Original Poster [OP]
dave1950
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » May 5th 2020, 9:36pm

dave1950 wrote: ... first time since god was a cowboy...I also saved about $600 as I cut a hole in the floor 5 years ago...it sure pays to be a member of this forum :)

Well - that is certainly worth the experience and knowledge imparted in this thread.
And the time to wonderfully read it all.

Thanks

and... at first, I thought, "augi must have esp, he did the pump before, but he didn't give it up till now".
Cool, he cut the hole last time.

The "Strainer Thing" comes up every now and again, seems that it got discontinued on all of them some time back.
And it also seems it doesn't matter how much you spend for one - they do all have the capability to go bad spontaneously, crap or jewels.
All this time, never have seen a strainer pointed out or in the pic close up - nothing that looks like a filter or the like.

Keep in Mind... "ACDelco" does NOT carry the same 'cache' it used to.
Just like most of the stuff on our van is still good, a lot is better than vans 10 years newer. 2005 vans going into the toilet parts-wise in a few hard driven years or just high mileage. And garaged does not seem to matter much neither.

Parts and ACDelco just USED TO BE better. As well, I am sure there are some exceptions and good NOS out there.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “Everything needs to change except the asshole culture and stupid way of life of the avg. antifa, BLM follower - slobs, cowards, killers w/o any thought that they, IN FACT, are now the Racists.”

sixsix
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby dave1950 [OP] » May 7th 2020, 12:04am

Just to clarify a few things:

1) he did the pump before, but he didn't give it up till now`

I didn`t do the pump the last time, I had the fellow cut the hole while he had the tank out anticipating 4 or 5 yrs down the road I would be replacing the pump myself. So this was the first time for me, I did have someone who was going to give me a hand but he kept calling and putting it off for 3 straight days so I decided to give it a shot knowing I could rely on this forum to assist if needed and I`m on a fixed income so anyway I can save a buck eh

2) Strainer Thing

I searched everywhere online to see a comparison or a pic of the bottom of another brand that has an internal strainer with no luck so I said why not give it a shot and so far so good...anyhoo we are in the middle of a dammpenic and there`s nothin else to do anyway so if it passes away I`ll get a refund and put another one in, now that I`ve done it what could go wrong :naughty:

3) ACDelco vs Generic

The van is 20 yrs old as gman said the value of the delco pump is close to the value of the van lol...so 5 yrs on a $60 fuel pump certainly makes more sense on a 20 yr old van..eh Oh just a thought before I go...if you were to search fuel pump in this forum you will find over 10,700 results. So with that in mind and the fact that every new van starts with a acdelco may tell you there are issues with the delco fuel pumps...not to mention all the holes being cut in floors right above the FP lol...My doctor buys generic tylenol cuz it`s half the price of the tylenal brand :D as dr fowchy says follow the data
Original Poster [OP]
dave1950
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):