Switch to full site
Discussion specific to electric components of vans. Category for alternators or batteries, starters and ignition parts, anything 12v and electrical issue like fuses, circuitry, wire, terminals, switches, connectors, bulbs, relays, and wiring. Voltage and amperage diagnosis.
Post a reply

Question about the starter

June 1st 2020, 7:43pm

Hi,

I pulled out the old starter. I'm having a hard time putting in the new one. One of the wires is really really short.
Is it ok to extend them? Wondering why they are so short.

Two wires go to one post and the hot goes to another post.
What are the gauges of the two wires?

Or do I have my wiring mixed up?

Also, do the wires need the plastic sheath?

starter.jpg

starter_wires.png

Re: Question about the starter

June 1st 2020, 8:43pm

Yes you "can" extend the 12awg "signal" wire.
Just be sure to solder the connection so it is reliable.

I actually have this wire on a very heavy duty single disconnect.

June 1st 2020, 8:52pm

Is the second diagram correct or the first picture?

June 1st 2020, 10:51pm

The replacements are configured slightly differently from the old, but it is possible to reconnect without extending. I had to have my husband (yep, I'm a cheater) solder on a new end for the ring that goes on the smaller terminal because mine flew off into space when I touched it.

New AC Delco vs. old AC Delco

I don't have a shot of the wires connected where you can see them, but I do have this:
STARTER.jpg

June 1st 2020, 11:54pm

Thanks to who responded. It took way to long to put in the new starter. Laying on Concrete without a jack or car ramps. It's tight under there. I did manage to use the wires as they were but next time I'm making them longer so it's easier to attach and turn the nuts.

June 2nd 2020, 12:31am

I actually have a block of wood just to set the starter on when I hook the wires up. so they are not being tugged on while doing them. But I had shoulder surgery so my arm does not like certain positions lol.

June 2nd 2020, 3:04am

bradaskins wrote:Thanks to who responded. It took way to long to put in the new starter. Laying on Concrete without a jack or car ramps. It's tight under there. I did manage to use the wires as they were but next time I'm making them longer so it's easier to attach and turn the nuts.

Your situation might actually be worse than laying on coroplast on top of gravel. I think I used ramps, but I might not have. Either way, it sucks....and that’s why I had my husband solder the new end - I can solder, but soldering over your head is different and he does it all the time for commercial HVAC.

June 2nd 2020, 2:00pm

Personally, I've always managed to get the starter re-installed without needing to extend the wires, but....good to know that the thought has crossed other people's minds. My experience has usually been that the wires are only too short when you're trying to connect them; if you're just unbolting the starter to access something else (Like a motor mount or exhaust manifold) then the wires seem more than long enough to allow the starter to slip out at the most inopportune time and KABONG you when you're pulling on a breaker-bar.
Glad you got it taken care of!
-M!ke-
Post a reply