Adding a buzzer for "check gauges" circuit (technical)

Adding a buzzer for "check gauges" circuit (technical)

Postby nerdybiker [OP] » June 2nd 2020, 2:24pm

So a friend of mine is asking for a buzzer that sounds when the check gauges light is on.
(please don't fuss if I don't cite exact pages etc in the diagrams, I don't have them with me)

1998 astro "white box" work van. I have added power windows, locks, and mirrors for him.

I see that the "warning light" type engine sensors run back to transistors in the gauge assy (which has gauges), to fire the check gauge light. The bulb in there (194 yes?) should be about 1.2 watts. Common relays (that I would use to fire a buzzer) are about 2.4 watts iirc.

Do any of the techy types around here know if those transistors will handle (1.2+2.4) 4ish watts? I don't know if the transistors have any labels that can be read (to find ratings), or anything about that. (I'm a industrial controls guy, not so much electronics)

I can't be having the circuit fry itself, and not have warnings.

Also, I considered using the factory door chime for his audible warning (let my relay fire one of its inputs) instead of buying a aftermarket buzzer. Thoughts?

TIA!
Original Poster [OP]
nerdybiker
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: nerdybiker has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 4
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD Pass w Tow

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Adding a buzzer for "check gauges" circuit (technical)

Postby Astrofarian » June 2nd 2020, 2:32pm

Is he blind or something? If so, should he be DRIVING?
-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby Mmusicman » June 2nd 2020, 3:52pm

A very small relay (like a reed relay or similar) should use almost no wattage.
You may want to put this "buzzer" on some kind of over-ride toggle switch.. so you're not stuck with it on.
The door-chime idea sounds like a good one too.

I doubt anyone would know the wattage capacity of the transisitor... maybe more than enough, maybe not.
Another "possible option" might be to replace 194 bulb with an LED (that draws next to nothing giving you more available output)

Funny.. on my 92 V8 van... I rewired the "shift-light on my tach" and hooked it to a second temp sender on my engine.
If my temp hits about 220-230.. this light will come on... in your face and blazing bright.
The stock temp gauge may go unnoticed... but this is one idiot light you can not miss.

Sidenote: I added a tiny buzzer to the turn-signals on my motorcycle so I don't forget to turn them off. :D
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 71
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby nerdybiker [OP] » June 2nd 2020, 4:04pm

Astrofarian wrote:Is he blind or something? If so, should he be DRIVING?
-M!ke-

This past winter, he took a power nap with the heat on, while waiting to be unloaded (this is a work vehicle). When he woke up (they still hadn't gotten to him), he had popped a hose or something. End result, new motor. He feels a buzzer would have woke him up. That's all I know.
Original Poster [OP]
nerdybiker
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby nerdybiker [OP] » June 2nd 2020, 4:29pm

Mmusicman wrote:A very small relay (like a reed relay or similar) should use almost no wattage.
You may want to put this "buzzer" on some kind of over-ride toggle switch.. so you're not stuck with it on.
The door-chime idea sounds like a good one too.

I doubt anyone would know the wattage capacity of the transisitor... maybe more than enough, maybe not.
Another "possible option" might be to replace 194 bulb with an LED (that draws next to nothing giving you more available output)

Funny.. on my 92 V8 van... I rewired the "shift-light on my tach" and hooked it to a second temp sender on my engine.
If my temp hits about 220-230.. this light will come on... in your face and blazing bright.
The stock temp gauge may go unnoticed... but this is one idiot light you can not miss.

Sidenote: I added a tiny buzzer to the turn-signals on my motorcycle so I don't forget to turn them off. :D

Good call on the LED, it skipped my mind when i wrote that lol. It seems like most auto relays are 150-200ma (according to google etc), which should be about 2.4w.

A secondary light isn't a bad idea either!
Original Poster [OP]
nerdybiker
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby Mmusicman » June 2nd 2020, 4:40pm

nerdybiker wrote:It seems like most auto relays are 150-200ma (according to google etc), which should be about 2.4w.

Don't use a "typical auto relay"... use a reed relay.
I just grabbed the first one that popped up on google... 12v coil only draws 12ma (for example)
The factory circuit won't even know it's there!
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... i0QAvD_BwE

You could even design a simple electronic switch (using your own transistor)

One thing you may also want to consider is "collapsing field" of a powerful relay.. the spike could take our your factory transistor as well. A diode across a healthy automotive coil is a good idea (they even make them with internal diode), I typically solder it directly on the leads. (wouldn't likely be an issue with a tiny reed relay).

Here's a real basic read (I found quick)...
https://electronicsclub.info/relays.htm
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 71
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby nerdybiker [OP] » June 2nd 2020, 5:06pm

Mmusicman wrote:
nerdybiker wrote:It seems like most auto relays are 150-200ma (according to google etc), which should be about 2.4w.

Don't use a "typical auto relay"... use a reed relay.
I just grabbed the first one that popped up on google... 12v coil only draws 12ma (for example)
The factory circuit won't even know it's there!
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... i0QAvD_BwE

You could even design a simple electronic switch (using your own transistor)

One thing you may also want to consider is "collapsing field" of a powerful relay.. the spike could take our your factory transistor as well. A diode across a healthy automotive coil is a good idea (they even make them with internal diode), I typically solder it directly on the leads. (wouldn't likely be an issue with a tiny reed relay).

Here's a real basic read (I found quick)...
https://electronicsclub.info/relays.htm

oh that's wonderful, I cannot thank you enough.

I've seen gobs of diodes (with a little resistor in them iirc) on the coil circuits of 24v industrial relays, and I've seen some funky stuff from the one or two Ive seen go bad too. Another good call Mmusicman, thanks again!
Original Poster [OP]
nerdybiker
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby nerdybiker [OP] » June 25th 2020, 1:13pm

Here's a pic of the installed reed relay. I did sort out the part number that has a built in diode (don't have # with me sry), just for sureity. I clipped a seatbelt check electrical connector out of a junker, and used it to make a disconnect so the dash can be pulled without cutting wires. The relay output goes to ground on one leg, and the other leg goes to the blk/wht seatbelt check wire. So, when the "check gauges" light comes on the relay is energized and grounds the seat belt check circuit, which turns on the chime (and the seat belt light, which isn't a worry). The OEM 194 check gauge bulb was replaced with LED.

Yes, I did insulate/wrap the reed relay before bundling it up. Hot gluing the relay to the back of the panel would be good too, I didn't have the stuff with me though.

The OEM buzzer in this truck is dead. Does anyone know the part number for the chime?

Original Poster [OP]
nerdybiker
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby nerdybiker [OP] » June 30th 2020, 12:39pm

The OEM part number for the chime appears to be GM 15042437 and was superseded by GM 19245591

Mods delete link if not appropriate, I don't know anything about this site other than it gave me info. Posting it for reference only.
http://oemcats.com/oem-parts/15042437.html

Hope this helps somebody, I ran into comments about people looking for this door chime part number when searching the site for info.
Original Poster [OP]
nerdybiker
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)