Good High End Alternator?

Good High End Alternator?

Postby ri$e*above [OP] » June 27th 2020, 8:00pm

I'm looking at updating my factory alternator to something high output. I will be adding stuff like a winch, light bars, fridge etc, but won't be doing anything to the stock audio. What brands/models do you recommend? I've been looking at Mechman, Brand X, Singer, Powermaster, JS etc etc and they all seem high quality.

Looking at my 2002 Safari, it looks like the alternator hookup is on the left side? Will an alternator with the right side hook-up work?

Cheers :thumbup:
CURRENT: 2002 GMC SAFARI AWD SLE 'GOLD DIGGER'. 5 INCH LIFT. G80. GT4.
Original Poster [OP]
ri$e*above
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Topics: 17
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD SLE

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • alternator questions
    by markmitch » July 6th 2020, 6:22pm in Electrical
    9 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    July 7th 2020, 11:30pm
  • New alternator and Cable install...Inline fuse size?
    by fleetline51 » July 26th 2020, 9:46pm in Electrical
    10 Replies
    Last post by MechBob View the latest post
    July 28th 2020, 11:16pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 20th 2020, 6:57pm

Re: Good High End Alternator?

Postby SportsBoy » June 28th 2020, 9:29pm

Do a search here on the site or google "astrosafari _______ " to find threads about alternators (or anything else) - I think some people use higher output ones from silverados or suburbans maybe.

Do you have A/C? Or a bypass pulley? The alt is the top left bracket, a/c is top right. Sure you could do it if you lengthened wires and cables, but I don't know why you'd want to do that and lose a/c.

Unless you mean you want to do dual alternators, in which case I have no idea and I'd say try the search - good luck!
SportsBoy
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Blake
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby ri$e*above [OP] » June 28th 2020, 9:40pm

SportsBoy wrote:Do a search here on the site or google "astrosafari _______ " to find threads about alternators (or anything else) - I think some people use higher output ones from silverados or suburbans maybe.

Do you have A/C? Or a bypass pulley? The alt is the top left bracket, a/c is top right. Sure you could do it if you lengthened wires and cables, but I don't know why you'd want to do that and lose a/c.

Unless you mean you want to do dual alternators, in which case I have no idea and I'd say try the search - good luck!

Thanks for the advice :thumbup:

I have AC, but I mean the actual connector on the Alternator seems to be on the left of the unit on the Astro/Safari. But after market stuff and other cars/trucks/vans I've had, it's been on the right. Wondering if I need to buy Astro/Safari specific Alternator, or if I can flip around one of the units that have the connector on the right side?
Original Poster [OP]
ri$e*above
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Big_kid » June 29th 2020, 1:04am

You might be able to "clock" the alternator by removing the screws holding the housing together, and without separating the halves, rotate the rear housing to the desired position. My FLAPS had to do that for my S10 once.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby tonydobbs » June 29th 2020, 1:15am

I have this link saved as a compatible HO alternator that just needs a longer belt, but please do your own research to confirm that this works:
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-335-1092 ... urban+1500
tonydobbs
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: tonydobbs has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Tony
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: RWD

Postby ri$e*above [OP] » June 29th 2020, 2:14am

tonydobbs wrote:I have this link saved as a compatible HO alternator that just needs a longer belt, but please do your own research to confirm that this works:
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-335-1092 ... urban+1500

Thanks for the link :thumbup:

Big_kid wrote:You might be able to "clock" the alternator by removing the screws holding the housing together, and without separating the halves, rotate the rear housing to the desired position. My FLAPS had to do that for my S10 once.

Thanks :thumbup: I'll ask some companies if there units allow it to be clocked. Or maybe they give the option to have the connector on the left side with a custom build.
Original Poster [OP]
ri$e*above
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby plymouthcranbrook » June 29th 2020, 2:50am

plymouthcranbrook
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: plymouthcranbrook has been a member for 10 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 10 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 10 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 10 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 10 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 10 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 10 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 10 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 10 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: allwheel drive

Postby SportsBoy » June 30th 2020, 3:20pm

Rinny just grabbed a Mechman alt that is supposedly very high output - spendy though.
SportsBoy
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Blake
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby Rinny » June 30th 2020, 4:47pm

https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=142282
It is a quality built product and puts out big power.
03Astro AWD/4WD
5.7L+30,SS dual exhst,mild cam,Efan,CAintake
2100lb Springs,Jour Hangers/Shackles,3" Alum Blocks
TorsenDiffs,3:73'S,VettServo
NP236TC
Dual Piston Rear Calipers
GY DTrac 235/85/R16
ARB &/Custom bumpers
2x6x1/4 Rockrails
Rinny
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Rinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 56
Alias (AKA): 5.7L, NP236, 3"Lift
Extra Info: 5.7L NP236

Postby ri$e*above [OP] » June 30th 2020, 10:41pm

plymouthcranbrook wrote:Might try these folks:

https://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php

SportsBoy wrote:Rinny just grabbed a Mechman alt that is supposedly very high output - spendy though.

Rinny wrote:https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=142282
It is a quality built product and puts out big power.

I was looking at the Mechmans...they seem real nice. Which one did you go with? Did you have to clock it so that the socket was on the left side, or did it already come like that?
Original Poster [OP]
ri$e*above
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Rinny » July 1st 2020, 1:36pm

#8206250 250AMP. Call them, they are very helpful and will answer any questions you have.
03Astro AWD/4WD
NP236TC
GY DTrac 235/85/R16
ARB &/Custom bumpers
2x6x1/4 Rockrails
Rinny
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Rinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full years

Postby Mmusicman » July 1st 2020, 2:56pm

Rinny wrote:#8206250 250AMP.
Call them, they are very helpful and will answer any questions you have.

$399 (and higher) ... ouch!

How about this 250amp alternator at only $146 shipped from Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076QDNVZX/re ... ljaz10cnVl

I also see listings for 250A alternators on Ebay for $129 and less (incl shipping)
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... r&_sacat=0

I suspect many of these alternators may be similar or identical rebuilds.
I will likely take a chance on one of these lesser priced units.

These look good too.. but again a little pricey...
http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/ad-244.html

I'm following this discussion because I'm upgrading my 2000 here shortly. The stock 105A Advance Auto parts unit just isn't keeping up..lol. Here in South Florida we are currently having regular temps in the mid-90's with sweltering humidity every day. My front and rear A/C is doing double-duty with both fans on MAX... plus high-powered electric fan, plus headlights and foglights, plus electric fuel pump, plus all the electronics!

But I need to be sure the high-output alternator can produce adequate charging voltage at idle as well. Some of the unit's I've seen do mention dramatic improvements here too.

Here's my rough consumption:
20A Front A/C fan (max)
20A Rear A/C fan (max)
20A Electric Radiator Fan
13A Headlights (55w X2)
13A Foglights (55w X2)
10A Fuel Pump (estimate)

This alone is close to 100amps of consumption (NOT including all the electronics).. which put my usage well over 100amps. Naturally I'm no where close to this at idle. I typically turn off my headlights/foglights (same circuit) when I'm running A/C on MAX.

My stock unit is NOT even close to keeping up.. I see voltages in the 11v range idling, and sometimes barely in the upper 12v range cruising. I sit at traffic lights with my foot on the throttle a little to help maintain some charging.

So anyone who does (or had done) a high-output alternator, share your experience.
I will likely pick something out this week.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 72
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby ri$e*above [OP] » July 1st 2020, 3:39pm

Rinny wrote:#8206250 250AMP. Call them, they are very helpful and will answer any questions you have.

Mmusicman wrote:$399 (and higher) ... ouch!

How about this 250amp alternator at only $146 shipped from Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076QDNVZX/re ... ljaz10cnVl

I also see listings for 250A alternators on Ebay for $129 and less (incl shipping)
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... r&_sacat=0

I suspect many of these alternators may be similar or identical rebuilds.
I will likely take a chance on one of these lesser priced units.

These look good too.. but again a little pricey...
http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/ad-244.html

I'm following this discussion because I'm upgrading my 2000 here shortly. The stock 105A Advance Auto parts unit just isn't keeping up..lol. Here in South Florida we are currently having regular temps in the mid-90's with sweltering humidity every day. My front and rear A/C is doing double-duty with both fans on MAX... plus high-powered electric fan, plus headlights and foglights, plus electric fuel pump, plus all the electronics!

But I need to be sure the high-output alternator can produce adequate charging voltage at idle as well. Some of the unit's I've seen do mention dramatic improvements here too.

Here's my rough consumption:
20A Front A/C fan (max)
20A Rear A/C fan (max)
20A Electric Radiator Fan
13A Headlights (55w X2)
13A Foglights (55w X2)
10A Fuel Pump (estimate)

This alone is close to 100amps of consumption (NOT including all the electronics).. which put my usage well over 100amps. Naturally I'm no where close to this at idle. I typically turn off my headlights/foglights (same circuit) when I'm running A/C on MAX.

My stock unit is NOT even close to keeping up.. I see voltages in the 11v range idling, and sometimes barely in the upper 12v range cruising. I sit at traffic lights with my foot on the throttle a little to help maintain some charging.

So anyone who does (or had done) a high-output alternator, share your experience.
I will likely pick something out this week.

They look cool. The Singer ones are nice too, although I've not contacted them regarding price and availability yet.

https://www.singeralternators.com/

I'm a little unsure how many Amps to go with, as my van is stock atm, so I'm trying to put together a list of potential upgrades I'll be getting down the road like winch, light bar/s etc etc. Gonna need a new battery too.
Original Poster [OP]
ri$e*above
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Rinny » July 1st 2020, 5:21pm

I had one of the amazon ones and it did not last. As far as the price goes you usually get what you pay for and 400 bucks wont be missed over here, but my 12000lb winch wont burn up either. check out the price on a warn 12000lb winch. I am happy with the mechman so far.
03Astro AWD/4WD
NP236TC
GY DTrac 235/85/R16
ARB &/Custom bumpers
2x6x1/4 Rockrails
Rinny
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Ken2.7 » July 1st 2020, 6:33pm

My Top Street Performance AD 244 220amp alternator has kept my dual battery set up charged nicely. However I also used welding cable to the batteries and did an overall Big 3 wiring upgrade with special attention to all grounds and even added a few more. I’m trying to figure a way to get more airflow to the rear of the alternator where the air intake is located. I see some performance cars run duct work to it.
I added a link for the alternator and serpentine belt I used.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 0#p1500662
Ken2.7
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Ken2.7 has been a member for 7 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 7 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 7 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 7 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 7 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 7 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 32
Alias (AKA): Ken
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: AWD Provan Tiger GT

Postby Rinny » July 1st 2020, 9:02pm

Ken, nice build brotha!! I was able to use the same belt, although I have a 5.7L in mine, and the wiring upgrade is a must, along with cleaning every ground. I used 1/0 copper strand wire and it was a direct bolt in.
03Astro AWD/4WD
NP236TC
GY DTrac 235/85/R16
ARB &/Custom bumpers
2x6x1/4 Rockrails
Rinny
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby ri$e*above [OP] » July 4th 2020, 2:16am

Rinny wrote:I had one of the amazon ones and it did not last. As far as the price goes you usually get what you pay for and 400 bucks wont be missed over here, but my 12000lb winch wont burn up either. check out the price on a warn 12000lb winch. I am happy with the mechman so far.

I think the same way...I don't mind paying a little more for a good high end alternator/battery.

Ken2.7 wrote:My Top Street Performance AD 244 220amp alternator has kept my dual battery set up charged nicely. However I also used welding cable to the batteries and did an overall Big 3 wiring upgrade with special attention to all grounds and even added a few more. I’m trying to figure a way to get more airflow to the rear of the alternator where the air intake is located. I see some performance cars run duct work to it.
I added a link for the alternator and serpentine belt I used.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 0#p1500662

Looks like a good alternator. Are you running many accessories? What's the welding cable mod you mentioned?

Could you mount some kind of 'U' shaped scoop (the U laying on it's side) to the inside of the frame to channel airflow to the rear of the alternator?
Original Poster [OP]
ri$e*above
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):