Dutch Door keylock location, because I'm curious.

Re: Dutch Door keylock location, because I'm curious.

Postby augidog [OP] » July 12th 2020, 9:56pm

MechBob wrote:Well,if van did not have one, there would be no need for the liftgate module,or the liftgate strut switch.I bet you have them, and they are not working.Latch assembly would look like this,the black is the electrical part.---- https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10163248
Next time you pull a panel, look and let us know.
well, I'll be...let's start here...
IMG_20200712_132526.jpg
1st, see my 2-wire keyswitch? not what my 1995 manual shows, another example of half-gen confusion. I couldn't have picked a worse van for learning about these vehicles in general, but I guess I can start calling her "rare" :dance:

but not in a good way.

2nd, the lower right latch DOES have an actuator, now that I'm listening for it, I can hear it when I turn the key.

3rd, both my strut switches are clipped and the wires shoved inside the pillars, long before I took possession. therefore I DO NOT know what normal is. best guess is (normally) closing the liftgate locks the lower door, turning the key unlocks it?

4th, the lower door latch is not activated by the power-lock system, I can still pull the handle and release the latch.

everything works for me, in what I HAD considered a normal way until today, and I do not have any parasitic drainage, but clearly I cannot use my 1995 FSM's to explore any further. does anyone care to share the relevant pics from a 1994 or 1996 manual that shows a TWO-wire keyswitch and maybe the wiring of the lower door actuator/gate actuator / strut switch?

it's not imperative, because things function as they are, but I am now more curious than when I started the thread.
Scanned original Chevrolet-GMC Dealer "Product Information Guides."
Detailed Options w/RPO's. Learn all about your Astro/Safari's first build.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=142268
Original Poster [OP]
augidog
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Augie
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD High-Top

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Another Dutch door button issue
    by Wokka » August 1st 2020, 10:36am in Electrical
    3 Replies
    Last post by Wokka View the latest post
    August 2nd 2020, 7:20am
  • 2000 Astro rear Dutch Door won't open
    by mglsite » November 16th 2020, 8:21pm in Electrical
    11 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    November 24th 2020, 2:05am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 3rd 2020, 9:31pm

Postby MechBob » July 12th 2020, 10:31pm

LOL Just keeping you on your toes. On your year, that door lock is not connected to the other door locks.The strut switch keeps the lower door from unlocking unless the hatch is opened.They were troublesome, sounds like someone bypassed it.the other strut switch turns off the rear defog, if hatch is opened.
MechBob
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby augidog [OP] » July 12th 2020, 10:34pm

MechBob wrote:LOL Just keeping you on your toes. On your year...
MY year?! are you kidding? I don't have a clue what year I have anymore, it changes with every new topic :banghead:
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby Rod's Trucks » July 13th 2020, 2:05am

My '98 looks identical to the one Augidog photographed, even the same color...well the one he saw was cleaner...mine still has some mountain dirt on it.
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby SportsBoy » July 13th 2020, 12:41pm

It seems like one of the few changes between 97 and 98, besides the 2 gallon larger gas tank, was making that lock on the upper dutch door. I have a key cylinder next to the door handle on the lower right door. I also have a switch to pop the upper rear hatch under the air vent right of the steering wheel. 98 and newer vans don't have that I think. When I press mine, it slightly pops the hatch, like an inch, but it doesn't open all the way. I have to go and give it a little tug from outside to activate the struts and lift it up.

Also, my lower right rear door locks with the power locks.... sometimes. Every once in a while, I'll pop the liftgate and go to open the doors and can't because it is locked, even though the rest of the car is unlocked.
SportsBoy
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Blake
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » July 13th 2020, 2:27pm

SportsBoy wrote:It seems like one of the few changes between 97 and 98, besides the 2 gallon larger gas tank, was making that lock on the upper dutch door. I have a key cylinder next to the door handle on the lower right door. I also have a switch to pop the upper rear hatch under the air vent right of the steering wheel. 98 and newer vans don't have that I think. When I press mine, it slightly pops the hatch, like an inch, but it doesn't open all the way. I have to go and give it a little tug from outside to activate the struts and lift it up.

Also, my lower right rear door locks with the power locks.... sometimes. Every once in a while, I'll pop the liftgate and go to open the doors and can't because it is locked, even though the rest of the car is unlocked.

For some Odd reason '97, '98 & '99 used a 25 gal tank - that is - according to the "Owner's Manuals" posted here on the site.
I also think some of the early models had a different size also. Our '92 manual says, and it is, a 27 gallon.

And ... about those Dutch Doors... and Gens I & II and changes in operation and the addition, subtraction & movement of components does not surprise me. And that does not take into consideration what was done by a dreaded...

Previous Owner

here's one... "my back door has no key switch for unlocking, but does have what looks like a ...camera?..."

:eek:

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “May be hard to believe... President Trump should rest easy and concede what was in fact a foregone conclusion: Another OLD MAN won with only about 50% of the Change Believers/Fools showing up."

sixsixsixsix is online!
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby augidog [OP] » July 13th 2020, 4:55pm

as Bob said, this gen-business (and you all) definitely keeps me on my toes with my "late 1995"...thank goodness I got a pretty good bit of the desirable gen1 features, but there's gen2 stuff that pops up and contradicts what I thought I had based on my manuals. I'm learning to dig deeper before troubleshooting buying parts and repairing.

and, as sixsix mentions, my conversion definitely has a bad case of Previous Owner Syndrome as well. I've treated most of it, the critical stuff, but the scars remain.

the thread got way more interesting than I expected, which is something I absolutely love about this forum.

hey Rod...this is me writing "wash me" (backwards) in the grime on your rear window :wave:
no cheating and using the wiper/washer, brother, you know it's time.
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby Rod's Trucks » July 14th 2020, 6:08am

Augidog, :ty:
The back window was actually quite clean (even where the wiper never hits) from the rain storm I drive through getting out of the mountains.
It is the mud and road grunge tossed up from the tires that makes it look like nobody cares. The original cladding did stop some of that, but with the cladding gone, I was surprised at how much mud came out of the wheel wells from this trip.
:rockon:
Rod's Trucks
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby WoodButcher » July 14th 2020, 3:55pm

augidog wrote:
MY year?! are you kidding? I don't have a clue what year I have anymore, it changes with every new topic :banghead:

Now you understand why the '95 is often called "the red headed stepchild" not that they are bad, just confusing.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby augidog [OP] » July 14th 2020, 6:27pm

Rod's Trucks wrote:Augidog, :ty:
The back window was actually quite clean (even where the wiper never hits) from the rain storm I drive through getting out of the mountains.
It is the mud and road grunge tossed up from the tires that makes it look like nobody cares. The original cladding did stop some of that, but with the cladding gone, I was surprised at how much mud came out of the wheel wells from this trip.
:rockon:
wow, you actually did it? social shaming has it's good points I guess :dance:
you have a PM.
WoodButcher wrote:
augidog wrote:
Now you understand why the '95 is often called "the red headed stepchild" not that they are bad, just confusing.
oh, absolutely! somehow, the quirks make me love her all the more, but clearly I'm going to have to spring for some '96 manuals if I want to know everything, which I don't mind doing.
(my '95 FSM's are Copyright April 1994, and my van is manufactured 6/95 and converted 11/95)
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby Ruh-Roh » November 23rd 2020, 7:49pm

I recently disassembled all of these parts on my '93 to fix the hatch release lock cylinder. Everything is just like the service manual page that someone posted earlier. I also removed the tag surround to clean it, which required removal of the door release handle. The hardest thing was removal and replacement of the lock cylinder retaining clip (very tight). (Side note: I found the plastic tag light holder to be severely cracked so I reinforced it with epoxy and fiberglass.)
My hatch release key wasn't working so I removed the lock cylinder and had it serviced. The clip inside the cylinder that holds the combinations wafers in place had become dislodged (oops). I think the key switch had originally stopped working because moisture or WD40 had gotten past the o-ring seal that protects the switch contacts inside the plastic sleeve at the back of the cylinder. After the locksmith fixed the key lock cylinder I cleaned the contacts and the inside of the sleeve, reassembled and it now works again.
Question: I have to turn the key several times before the actuator releases. I hear a noise each time I turn the key but the hatch doesn't release until at least three tries. The same happens if I try to release the hatch from the dash switch (button requires multiple pushes). What do you think is causing this problem?
Ruh-Roh
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Extra Info: LT FE3

Postby AstroWill » November 24th 2020, 1:42am

Ruh-Roh wrote:Question: I have to turn the key several times before the actuator releases. I hear a noise each time I turn the key but the hatch doesn't release until at least three tries. The same happens if I try to release the hatch from the dash switch (button requires multiple pushes). What do you think is causing this problem?

Lube the latches on both ends of the liftgate.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » November 24th 2020, 3:48pm

And 'Hold-In' on the Door ( fr & bk ) / Hatch when releasing the Latch / Latches / Opening Doors.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “May be hard to believe... President Trump should rest easy and concede what was in fact a foregone conclusion: Another OLD MAN won with only about 50% of the Change Believers/Fools showing up."

sixsixsixsix is online!
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby Ruh-Roh » November 25th 2020, 6:53am

Thanks AstroWill. It works perfectly now! :oops:
Ruh-Roh
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Extra Info: LT FE3

Postby AstroWill » November 26th 2020, 1:06am

Ruh-Roh wrote:Thanks AstroWill. It works perfectly now! :oops:

You are most welcome!

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Previous