No Power to Tow Harness

Re: No Power to Tow Harness

Postby SportsBoy [OP] » July 24th 2020, 4:36am

In case anyone is interested in the backup cam side of things - I figured out an easy solution - https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=140

Basically, I attached the reverse signal wire to the switched power behind the radio and didn't attach the power wire in the back by the camera to anything - just taped it off. An all works as it should. Don't know why, but I'm not mad
Original Poster [OP]
SportsBoy
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Blake
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Is This The Trailer Wiring Harness? How Do I Route It?
    by ri$e*above » July 10th 2020, 2:56am in Electrical
    11 Replies
    Last post by DriveDog View the latest post
    October 13th 2020, 9:45pm
  • Harness Clip Rubbing Through
    by TBLBill » October 22nd 2020, 1:14pm in Electrical
    0 Replies
    Last post by TBLBill View the latest post
    October 22nd 2020, 1:14pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 24th 2020, 6:55am

Postby augidog » July 24th 2020, 5:42am

SportsBoy wrote:In case anyone is interested in the backup cam side of things - I figured out an easy solution - https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=140

Basically, I attached the reverse signal wire to the switched power behind the radio and didn't attach the power wire in the back by the camera to anything - just taped it off. An all works as it should. Don't know why, but I'm not mad
I didn't follow all of that because I skimmed, but that's a nicely detailed thread you have going there.

I'm a kraco kind of guy, never felt the need for much onboard electronics. the "heads" you folks are installing these days are at a whole 'nother level, and I can see how a person could really throw themselves into it. that sure is a lot of crimps, I still use and prefer crimps as just too easy.

I am considering basic cams fore and aft, for "insurance" purposes, but I know now it will be the simplest manual-control-only setup I can come up with.
Scanned original Chevrolet-GMC Dealer "Product Information Guides."
Detailed Options w/RPO's. Learn all about your Astro/Safari's first build.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=142268
augidog
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Augie
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD High-Top

Postby Old Barney » July 24th 2020, 3:08pm

When I installed my camera. I run a short power wire from the reverse light wire inside the area where the jack is stored through the harness into the rear door and out through a small hole I drilled in the license plate light assy to the camera I mounted with the top plate screws. The camera draws far less than the back up lamp and only is in use when in reverse. No need to run a wire all the way from front to rear of the vehicle. The video cable can be run up and over through head liner using a fiber glass wire snake. Start by pulling the plastic from the front door to windshield post, snake video cable from jack storage area to rear dome light, aiming to the next dome light get wire to there then aim toward the front right and jab the snake down through the windshield post. I have installed hundreds of two way radios and have run coax through many roof's this way. Take the wire to the rear of the instrument panel and the display/recorder. As far as crimp connections the only one needed is at the jack storage area reverse light wire for camera power. My ground /return power was supplied buy the video coax from front display/radio. If your unit requires a wire be connected to ground by the camera just ground inside jack storage area.
Old Barney
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Old Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Barney
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: awd

Postby SportsBoy [OP] » July 26th 2020, 2:25am

Barney - my van is gutted so fortunately it's easy peasy to send the cable through. Also, the power was connected to the video cable, so it went up there at the same time.

I didn't do the reverse light as the source of power because I wanted to be able to use the cam when I'm not in reverse.
Original Poster [OP]
SportsBoy
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Blake
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Previous