12V radio line on all the time

12V radio line on all the time

Postby paulbot [OP] » September 9th 2020, 11:34pm

So after letting the old workhorse sit for a few years after semi-retiring, recent events made me chose between the 2000 cargo van and 2001 ES300 that has been my daily driver for some time. I decided to keep the Safari for towing and space. Which brings me to the aftermarket radio reinstall. I used aftermarket harnesses and did have a pretty kicking sound system for years in it.

When I went to reinstall a head unit, I notice that the 12V switched power line is always on. I probed it, and did something that blew the radio fuse, so put a new one in and now trying to figure out why the switched radio line is on all the time. First guess is the ignition switch, as it is really sloppy and very easy to leave slightly on.

Any tips on where to start?
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: paulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: Cargo

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: 12V radio line on all the time

Postby AstroWill » September 10th 2020, 6:42pm

All bets are off if the wiring has been modified.

Just something to keep in mind, your year was the first year for retained accessory power(RAP), so there is a relay that keeps accessories powered for a while after you turn off the ignition. If you are still having the problem even after that times out, pull the relay. But if you know that your ignition switch is sloppy and needs to be replaced, that is a great place to start. The GM Techline eSI(links in sig) has all the wiring diagrams for your van.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Postby paulbot [OP] » September 10th 2020, 7:22pm

Thanks for the reply. The wiring has not been modified, I used an aftermarket radio harness adapter to power my head unit. I probed the radio harness with nothing connected, on the van harness I show 12V memory and 12V switched having power all the time. I will give it a few minutes to check the RAP, but the first 20 years I had it, the radio would shut off when you turned the key off.
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Years of Membership: paulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » September 10th 2020, 7:36pm

It stays on for 20minutes unless the BCM detects that a door is opened, provided it and the door pin switches are working properly.

What color is your switched wire?
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years

Postby paulbot [OP] » September 10th 2020, 7:46pm

AstroWill wrote:It stays on for 20minutes unless the BCM detects that a door is opened, provided it and the door pin switches are working properly.

What color is your switched wire?

Yellow, next to the orange 12V memory. I do have a factory service manual I bought in 2003, time to dig that monstrous set of books out.

edit- Quick look at the relays show no RAP relay, but there is a large RAP fuse.
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » September 10th 2020, 8:35pm

Yea, that should work as well, and easier to access. RAP relay is under the dash near the OBD2 port.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby paulbot [OP] » September 11th 2020, 2:29am

Well you were right. The radio does shut off at about 20 minutes after turning the key off. I really don't remember that, and I logged 250K in 17 years. Work days I'd be getting in and out 10 times a day normally. So I'll continue on with the install, double checking the power on a few times. Thanks for clarifying this, I do remember the string of dome lights would go off after 20 minutes, but usually had them turned off since they'd be running half the day..
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » September 11th 2020, 5:23am

Awesome, glad to hear you got it figured out. It is designed to turn off as soon as you open a door, so I would be looking at your door pin switches next :)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby paulbot [OP] » September 16th 2020, 11:07pm

AstroWill wrote:Awesome, glad to hear you got it figured out. It is designed to turn off as soon as you open a door, so I would be looking at your door pin switches next :)

Yeah since it was sitting up off and on for the past 3 years, the door switches were pretty crusty. Took a small stainless wire brush to it and now looking for my tube of dielectric grease. Probably have to get another one. :D

So I finished hooking back up the amps and head unit, finished the mids and highs that I had started before parking it. Trip to the junkyard for another dash cover, mine cracked all up over the years. I'm not liking the way the radio stays on after I turn the key off. With 2 amps and the head unit I can see my old *** having it on for much too long draining the battery. What other drawbacks would I have pulling the RAP fuse? I can think of the cargo lights, a string of 4 lights overhead, I'm guessing the shutoff after 20 minutes would be effected by pulling the RAP fuse.
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » September 17th 2020, 4:17am

paulbot wrote:
AstroWill wrote:Awesome, glad to hear you got it figured out. It is designed to turn off as soon as you open a door, so I would be looking at your door pin switches next :)

Yeah since it was sitting up off and on for the past 3 years, the door switches were pretty crusty. Took a small stainless wire brush to it and now looking for my tube of dielectric grease. Probably have to get another one. :D

So I finished hooking back up the amps and head unit, finished the mids and highs that I had started before parking it. Trip to the junkyard for another dash cover, mine cracked all up over the years. I'm not liking the way the radio stays on after I turn the key off. With 2 amps and the head unit I can see my old *** having it on for much too long draining the battery. What other drawbacks would I have pulling the RAP fuse? I can think of the cargo lights, a string of 4 lights overhead, I'm guessing the shutoff after 20 minutes would be effected by pulling the RAP fuse.

That should do it. I really like RAP, but it's definitely a nicety and not a necessity.
RAP turns off immediately when you open the door, or after 20min if you don't open a door. If you pull the fuse, it should turn that circuit off immediately when you turn the ignition switch to the off position. The BCM may still activate the RAP relay, but the circuit wouldn't receive power, would have to look at the wiring diagram to confirm that though.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby MechBob » September 17th 2020, 5:58am

RAP in older vehicles was interesting.i remember Caddys and Buicks,left in peoples garages, for 2 weeks, and batteries were dead.After research(I helped) GM found out if the keys were left in the ignition, would keep the BCM energized,or on,all the time,killing the battery.We also discovered,that in the early 2000's vehicles(not really sure of the specific years),that when battery voltage got low,it would turn on the BCM,then totally draining the battery.Ya,GM has had some problems.
MechBob
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4