Wiring fuel pump to connector, grommets through crossbeams?

Wiring fuel pump to connector, grommets through crossbeams?

Postby blendergasket [OP] » September 16th 2020, 7:34pm

Hi! I installed a new fuel pump and it care with a long wiring harness I traced to a plug beneath the van. The wiring harness goes through 2 crossbeams using plastic grommet things. I've tried finding them online but don't know the right words to search. The plastic seems very worn on them, and I'm worried if I pry them apart they will break.

What's the best way to deal with these? ?

Will I be able to reinstall them after I pry them off? Or will they need to be replaced. If they need to be replaced, what are they called?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
1994 Astro Ext AWD
Original Poster [OP]
blendergasket
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: blendergasket has been a member for 3 full yearsblendergasket has been a member for 3 full yearsblendergasket has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 22
Alias (AKA): blendergasket
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Harness Clip Rubbing Through
    by TBLBill » October 22nd 2020, 1:14pm in Electrical
    0 Replies
    Last post by TBLBill View the latest post
    October 22nd 2020, 1:14pm
  • Unknown plug connector on 05 GMC Safari
    by nwisehart » October 21st 2020, 12:45am in Electrical
    3 Replies
    Last post by Rod's Trucks View the latest post
    October 21st 2020, 4:06am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 15th 2021, 8:04am

Re: Wiring fuel pump to connector, grommets through crossbea

Postby MechBob » September 17th 2020, 5:16am

Hey.They are rubber,with a bit of stiff internal backing,sometimes,on the lip.They are called "grommets".I doubt if you could find new ones.But,as they do not see the sun(uv) you usually can use them over,or even "patch" them with a bit of silicone sealer.I always hated the super long fuel pump harness on the earlier vans,was so stupid.OK,2 things,the connector that comes on the new "sender unit" or "fuel pump assembly" has the factory connector,with the old style round pins.Even if you pulled it and only replaced the fuel pump itself,then you have used this connector over,again.That round pin connector,at the long end of the harness,has been the cause of many intermittent problems, from poor connection.Over the years,I repaired quite a few.My 94,I did the cut the floor,added a connector,and,on that far forward connector, soldered the wires.Have seen others also do almost the same,but right down by the fuel filter,add a connector,and solder the front.Just food for thought.
MechBob
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby M_a_t_t » September 17th 2020, 5:38am

There are tabs on the backside. Squeeze them and you should be able to pull it out of the opening. Then you can open it up to remove the harness. That's all I had to do on my van.
1973 Fiat 124 Special
1975 Honda Civic CVCC 4spd
1981 Kawasaki KZ750E
1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD
1995 Mercury Tracer
2004 Chevy Astro AWD
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
M_a_t_t
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: M_a_t_t has been a member for 6 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 6 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 6 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 6 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 6 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 27
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: cl rwd

Postby blendergasket [OP] » September 17th 2020, 6:33am

Thank you for your replies. I got the grommets off and have the wiring harness mostly installed. I had to stop because it got dark but will complete it tomorrow. Thanks!
1994 Astro Ext AWD
Original Poster [OP]
blendergasket
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: blendergasket has been a member for 3 full yearsblendergasket has been a member for 3 full yearsblendergasket has been a member for 3 full years

Postby MechBob » September 17th 2020, 6:52am

Awesome.i will say again,those round pin connectors were troublesome,many a person/vehicle had problems a day to months later,because pf poor connections,take a pin,or something,and bend down,tighten the contacts on the vehicle side of the connector.The terminals on your new sender are fresh, but do not restructure the body side terminals.
MechBob
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby blendergasket [OP] » September 18th 2020, 5:06am

Thanks for the tips on that. My goal was to keep this as simple as possible so I balk at the idea of cutting the wires and creating more connectors, although I can see how it would keep me from having to restring the harness.

I attached all the hoses and strung the harness all the way to the plug but am having a little trouble with the little white clip holding it on. I tried to remove it with a pliers, but didn't want to break it. I'll keep working on it tomorrow and then when I get it open I'll be able to see what you are taking about with the terminals on the plug. I will check to see if I can bend them in a way that makes sense when I see them.

Thanks for all your kind help and advise.
1994 Astro Ext AWD
Original Poster [OP]
blendergasket
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Postby blendergasket [OP] » September 20th 2020, 1:26am

MechBob wrote:Awesome.i will say again,those round pin connectors were troublesome,many a person/vehicle had problems a day to months later,because pf poor connections,take a pin,or something,and bend down,tighten the contacts on the vehicle side of the connector.The terminals on your new sender are fresh, but do not restructure the body side terminals.

The round pin connectors looked perfectly centered in the holes they live in. Are you saying to bend them down slightly to they contact the slots better?

I got it all put together and no stalling on my first drive!
1994 Astro Ext AWD
Original Poster [OP]
blendergasket
Site Contributor
Site Contributor