Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

2004 Astro Cargo Van Power door Lock Problem / Questions

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 Chevy Astro Cargo Van and the Power Door Locks don't work properly. I have a suspicion it may have something to do with the crappy Alarm system the PO installed which I need to remove. Here are my observations and questions. I appreciate any help or insight anyone can provide.

1. Front Doors or Side Doors will not lock or unlock with the Power Lock switches.

2. A Clicking Noise is heard under the dash when you press the Power Lock Switches.

3. Only the Side Door unlocks or locks when the Gear Shifter is placed in Park or Drive.

4. The Rear Door has an unused plug which I would assume is for Power Locks, but there is no Power Lock mechanism in the door.

Any thoughts on what might be causing the problems with the Power Lock Switches?

Additional questions:

A. Is it possible to convert the rear door to Power Locks?

B. Am I able to get a Programmable Key Fob that would activate the locks remotely or do I need to get a new alarm system?

Thanks for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
The alarm system is a place to start. Remove it, put the wiring back to factory, and test again.

The door pin switches - GM calls them door jamb switches - are a frequent cause of incorrect locking/unlocking, especially with the slider. Next most common cause is the driver's switch itself or the wiring to it. You hear clicking under the dash, so it sounds like the power lock relay is getting the signal.

Here's the wiring diagram for an '05 with dutch doors - I'll find the one with barn doors in a few.
2005 Door Locks, Dutch.jpg

EDIT: found it
2005_Locks_Barn.jpg

#4 ·
Leeann_93 said:
The alarm system is a place to start. Remove it, put the wiring back to factory, and test again.

The door pin switches - GM calls them door jamb switches - are a frequent cause of incorrect locking/unlocking, especially with the slider. Next most common cause is the driver's switch itself or the wiring to it. You hear clicking under the dash, so it sounds like the power lock relay is getting the signal.

Here's the wiring diagram for an '05 with dutch doors - I'll find the one with barn doors in a few.
View attachment 1

EDIT: found it
Leann, Wow! Thank You. I appreciate the help. I had found the diagram for the Dutch doors in a Haynes manual I purchased used, but could not find the Barn Door diagram. I will have to review these and see if I can trace the problem. The timing is great as I'm going to remove the door panels to replace the mirrors anyway; I can check the door switch at the same time.

#5 ·
DD1 said:
I had found the diagram for the Dutch doors in a Haynes manual I purchased used, but could not find the Barn Door diagram. I will have to review these and see if I can trace the problem. The timing is great as I'm going to remove the door panels to replace the mirrors anyway; I can check the door switch at the same time.
Grab the GM Techline eSI, it's the digital factory service manual and WAY more useful than the Haynes manual. See links in my signature.

#7 ·
Apluspandp said:
How do I get one of these digital copies of the factory guide?
There is a link in my signature/profile that has a list of links. There is also a short guide to setting up Virtualbox on there as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.