Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Power Windows , No work

7K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  donkelly23 
#1 ·
OK, long time member haven't posted in years as the Triumph forums keeps me more than busy.
Question on the windows.
Neither of my windows work by switch. Pulled the switch and I have power at the wire end of the switches at the logical ones.
Now I am an expert at changes the drivers side as I have done it a number of time.
My question is :
Why do neither windows work. What are the chances that both motors fried at the same time?>
I have check both fuse boxes. Both are fine.
Any help please
Don

#4 ·
donkelly23 said:
... Pulled the switch and I have power at the wire end of the switches at the logical ones.
Does that mean...When you activate the switch one way you have + voltage on one side of the output of the switch, then when you activate the switch the other way you have + voltage on the OTHER output of the switch?

Simple enough to test the motors. Apply 12v in either polarity to the motor, it should spin one direction. Reverse the polarity, motor should spin the opposite direction.

The switch should do the same. Switch from BOTH GROUNDED to ONE SIDE +voltage then the OTHER SIDE +voltage as you operate the switch from AT REST to either direction.

Lump

#5 ·
Power on both sides of the switch
drivers- Dk Bl for up and Br for down
Pass.- L Bl for up and Tan for down.
Tomorrow check the motor on the drivers side.
Can't remember if the connection there was 2 wires or three.
Is the motor self grounding
Therefore run a hot lead to one connection and just run a ground to the motor case?

#8 ·
donkelly23 said:
Is the motor self grounding
Therefore run a hot lead to one connection and just run a ground to the motor case?
No. The motor is not grounded. Otherwise we couldn't reverse it.
It's a straight DC motor with two terminals. Apply +/- to the terminals the motor spins one direction. Reverse those to -/+ and the motor spins the opposite direction.

To test the motor, independent of the switch, DISCONNECT the switch wires on the motor, then apply +/- voltage to the two terminals, poliarity not important. Then reverse the polarity. Motor should spin both directions.

Lump

#16 ·
Thanks, just got it.Now that it is out I can tell how it actually is "suppose " to come out.
Well if I hook up power to the appropriate wires I can move the windows up and down .
So the motors are fine.
I guess it is the switch.
Anybody know a good online source?
Thanks again

#17 ·
Received the new switch from Rockauto today.
Installed it and still the windows don't work
Now here is the switch

The connector at the bottom has the yellow power and black ground
When I connect my voltmeter to it and turn the key to Acc it has 12+ volts
The connector at the top works if you remove it and place power at the correct locations and I get movement at both windows.
So, what Am I not thinking about??

#18 ·
DOH...DOH...DOH...

In the back of my mind I have been thinking ground
Just picked it up from the dealer
They put a new ground wire in.
I should have tried that.
I have bloody British sports cars

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.