Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

aftermarket key fob ?

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 ·
Anyone here ever install a key fob system on a vehicle that didn't have one? My 03 Astro has power door locks and power windows but did not come with a key fob system. Even if I have to install a remote start system to get it I would. So if you have ever done either let me know what you did and brands used etc? Thanks , Mark

#4 ·
MechBob said:
LOL,Mark,an 03 body controls are through the PCM.Buy the remote transmitters, then pay a shop that has the GM programming to set it up/turn it on.
Can you expand on this?
What exactly does the GM dealer or locksmith 'do' to enable this?
If there is a general purpose thing that I could use for other purposes I would just spend that money on hardware and not services.

Mark, the fobs are $11 for two on ebay.

#5 ·
Firstly, post a picture of your RPO codes, see what the van came with. You can also try to enter programming mode and see if it reacts at all with programming mode. If that is the case then you just need the fobs. Otherwise you should be able to add in the RKE module and antenna and get everything programmed.

The RKE module talks directly to the BCM to send lock/unlock/programming/etc.

#7 ·
<<< Firstly, post a picture of your RPO codes, see what the van came with. You can also try to enter programming mode and see if it reacts at all with programming mode. If that is the case then you just need the fobs.
>>>

I did all this but it didn't work. That's why I ask about the 'programmer'.

#8 ·
#9 ·
dcsleeper said:
<<< Firstly, post a picture of your RPO codes, see what the van came with. You can also try to enter programming mode and see if it reacts at all with programming mode. If that is the case then you just need the fobs.
>>>

I did all this but it didn't work. That's why I ask about the 'programmer'.
Have you verified that the RKE module is there and has power?

#10 ·
I have that rpo
programming mode responds, but never works.
seller said needs a locksmith
mechbob says programmer

WHAT programmer will work for this?

I'm sure it would come in handy for something else as well. Might as well get it.

AstroWill said:
Have you verified that the RKE module is there and has power?
wouldn't it responding by entering programming mode prove that the rke module has power?

#12 ·
markmitch said:
so what exactly would I need to do this? and would an aftermarket remote starter be wired into this or would it be separate?
Just buy the proper keyfobs and follow the instructions to program them. A remote starter would be a separate aftermarket item. If you are going that route then you wouldn't bother with the OEM fobs.

dcsleeper said:
I have that rpo
programming mode responds, but never works.
seller said needs a locksmith
mechbob says programmer
The Tech2 can put it into programming mode, but it does the same thing. If that is working then you might not have the proper keyfobs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.