Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Macwicker 
#1 ·
My 2003 Astro Van 4.6L stalled out and gave me a code saying my Crankshaft position sensor circuit was bad. I replaced it, and it ran smooth for 5 mins before backfiring and stalling out again. I decided to buy a better quality sensor and installed it and couldn't get it t start at all. In defeat I had it towed to a auto shop. They had it for a week and said it was running fine since I dropped it off, they couldn't get it to stall. So I went to pick it up, and made it to the grocery store parking lot across the street before it stalled on me again. The shop brought it back to there shop and found a short in the wiring for the sensor and replaced it. I picked it up and drove for about 2 weeks... and it STALLED AGAIN and gave me the same code. Now it's back at the shop and they said it running fine AGAIN. Idk what to do, I'm just luck it stalled in a parking lot twice and not the highway.

#2 ·
Ooof I just spent 2 months chasing a short that did not even exist. Turns out the tools I was using were lying to me. This might be something simple like a bad ground (corroded chassis bolt). I've only had this van for 2 months and that's where I would start, since you already changed the wiring to the sensor. Maybe you can do 5V Reference test to the sensor, but I really hate poking holes in the wiring, especially down there. Hopefully someone with more experience will respond.

#3 ·
There are three wires that go from the sensor to the PCM, a 12v reference(lt.grn), low reference(ppl), and the signal wire(yel). I would start with a visual inspection of the connector and wiring.
Was the code cleared and the CKP relearn done with the replacement of the CKP?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.