Hooking up Tach

Re: Hooking up Tach

Postby The Drummer » March 15th 2021, 6:49pm

There is some good info here : https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62402

Here is where i placed mine , i trimed a little in the bezel if i recall ,but it was a good spot ,at least for me it was .

''USE THE TORQUE LUKE ''

and beware of trees ,them nasty wooden things are evil .
The Drummer
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Hooking up inverter
    by Rockridge » February 16th 2021, 12:22am in Electrical
    15 Replies
    Last post by MI_GhostMI_Ghost is online! View the latest post
    February 22nd 2021, 2:59pm
  • dual battery set up on gen one van
    by markmitch » May 1st 2021, 3:36pm in Electrical
    9 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    May 3rd 2021, 11:29pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    August 5th 2021, 3:44am

Postby sixsix » March 16th 2021, 9:03pm

Mmusicman wrote:This connection will not fail.
Like I said... this is just how I do it.
Use whatever method works for you.
Cheers!

About the only thing I can add to that is:

1969 Pass Dr Heat gun Dorman Shrink wrap

Goodness knows... Scott knows elecs, wiring, fixing stuff on the go, etc, etc.
If I had a nice selection of shrink wraps like this and the real cheap heat gun ( or soldering iron ), I would have had a sleeve of appropriate size on the wire ready to shrink... just before the tie wrap.

The wrap set is from @ut0z0ne, the gun from HF, both $7 or $8 ea.
There are some that are Waterproof also.
"1 Nautilus died, BLM spawned, Antifa runs amok
- CRT & unions have taken schools by storm
THEN:
Not a single "Black" "Leader" condemns Black Crime
- White Supremacists get blamed for it all - they sure do get around"
sixsix
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L6)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby vangogo » March 16th 2021, 9:13pm

Nothing wrong with your idea and tach selection, but as an option to consider, I thought I would mention what I went with for a tach...an UltraGauge. I have it programmed so that the tach feature is always on my main screen. Again, nothing wrong with the tach you are installing, just thought I would mention another option...you can see I mounted it by the CD player.Image
PASTAFARI
vangogo
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: vangogo has been a member for 11 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 11 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 11 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 11 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 11 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 11 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 11 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 11 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 11 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 11 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA): VanGoGo
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: LS 4.3 V6 AWD

Postby 02GMC » March 17th 2021, 4:09am

Just a suggestion regarding tach etc. I bought a ScanGuage a few years back, cable connects to OBD port, guage fits nicely in tray above console for aux CD player. Can monitor 4 functions at any given time. Set mine to tach, trans temp, water temp and volts. Last two are redundant but I got it for the tach and trans temp (which is already monitored by the ECM/PCM anyway on my 2002).
02GMC
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: 02GMC has been a member for 3 full years02GMC has been a member for 3 full years02GMC has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): Billy
Van Model Year: 2002

Postby Mmusicman » March 17th 2021, 6:18pm

sixsix wrote:About the only thing I can add to that is:
If I had a nice selection of shrink wraps like this and the real cheap heat gun ( or soldering iron ), I would have had a sleeve of appropriate size on the wire ready to shrink... just before the tie wrap.

YOU ARE SO CORRECT!!!
And yes, a soldering iron will also work if you don't have a heat-gun handy.
(just use the soldering iron as heat a little further away from the tip)

I was SO focused on the "tape and tie-wrap" solution.. I didn't even think of heat-shrink!
Yes this is always preferred if possible. Unfortunately, if you don't intend to cut the factory wire to wrap your new wire around, then there won't likely be any open-ended place to "slide" the heat-shrink over. I often prefer NOT to cut factory wiring.

None the less, always prefer heat-shrink if possible.
If not.. tape and tie-wrap is your next best solution. :D

Loom is always a nice extra touch, and offers some degree of extra wire-safety too.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 75
Alias (AKA): Scott
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby Ken2.7 [OP] » March 17th 2021, 6:41pm

vangogo wrote:Nothing wrong with your idea and tach selection, but as an option to consider, I thought I would mention what I went with for a tach...an UltraGauge. I have it programmed so that the tach feature is always on my main screen. Again, nothing wrong with the tach you are installing, just thought I would mention another option...you can see I mounted it by the CD player.Image

I looked at the UltraGauge and like what I see. You said you keep the Tach feature on so I assume you don't have to program it each time you start the engine. Is the RPM readout by itself or are there multiple other categories displayed at the same time? I noticed you can't easily unplug and take it with you without snaking the cable back under the dash. Easy removal would be a nice feature for them to add. Thanks for mentioning the tach alternative.
Original Poster [OP]
Ken2.7
Years of Membership: Ken2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 34
Alias (AKA): Ken

Postby vangogo » March 17th 2021, 10:46pm

Once you select the features on the readout, it stays that way, you can change them at any time and there are 3 screens you can program. The RPM is displayed with multiple other categories, I also have engine temp, engine load, tps, and mpg's on my main screen.
You do have to snake the cable back under the dash if you ever want to remove it. I originally had it mounted near the lower portion of the vent like you are considering, but found the shifter was always blocking the view a bit. I may mount the gauge higher someday, maybe try out a spot near the pillar. It doesn't have the cool factor of an old school tach, but it is pretty useful overall.
PASTAFARI
vangogo
Years of Membership: vangogo has been a member for 11 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 11 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 11 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 11 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 11 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 11 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 11 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 11 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 11 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 11 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 11 full years

Postby Ken2.7 [OP] » March 18th 2021, 2:22am

I hate cutting into my dash so I’m not seeing a cool factor with the Tach. Also I hadn’t thought about the shift lever position and it would be nice to have a digital read on temperature.
Original Poster [OP]
Ken2.7
Years of Membership: Ken2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 8 full years

Postby vangogo » March 18th 2021, 2:52am

cool factor is just me thinking of my old muscle cars days, been a while since I had any car that would pull to 7 grand. The temp on the UltraGauge seems more accurate than the factory gauge on the dash, I can watch the computer switch from open loop at 130 degrees, and I can watch the temp drop as the thermostat opens around 200 degrees.
I saw 02GMC posted about his scan gauge...Ive had my ultragauge for over 10 years with no problems, I dont know which one is the best, Im sure theres several brands available, so research and shop around.
PASTAFARI
vangogo

Postby Ken2.7 [OP] » March 20th 2021, 4:02am

I’ve been reading up on OBD scanners and decided that’s the way I want to go however now that I’m ready put the doghouse on the odometer, gear selector light, and the fuel gauge aren’t working. I’ve checked connectors and fuses but no luck. The van starts and runs fine so I’m trying to decide what’s next. Maybe go by a local parts store and check for codes. Ideas?
Original Poster [OP]
Ken2.7

Postby Ken2.7 [OP] » April 4th 2021, 2:57am

DB4F8207-06C2-4076-A6FE-C031F330F6F7.jpeg
I’ll update my Tach post for anyone searching in the future for ideas. The features that sold me on the Konnwei ($55) was the ability to disconnect it easily, a digital and graphic RPM readout, and a digital coolant temperature reading. It has other features which I haven’t figured out yet and the instructions aren’t too good.
I drilled a hole behind the emergency release lever and ran my cable up to a location where the tach can easily be seen through the steering wheel and yet is high enough I don’t hit it with my knees. The tach is attached to sheet metal I cut to slip between the dash and the lower dash panel. Velcro holds the tach when I flip it back vertical.
I appreciate the help and ideas I got from everyone. Thx.
Attachments
A47906DC-BEF0-4E5E-A927-7424406420C9.jpeg
0E810E43-E3C4-4AA0-945B-5412F62FF180.jpeg
C6F56269-F6B4-41B1-8C22-3F5CA11D843D.jpeg
97CE0395-9F4F-43A9-911E-2AEF8D8451A1.jpeg
Original Poster [OP]
Ken2.7

Postby AstroWill » April 4th 2021, 3:32am

Looks good Ken!

I was looking at those on alibaba and was wondering if they showed the transmission temperature, does yours show the trans temp? Yours is this one https://amzn.to/3wp66hU and I was looking at the same but named different: https://amzn.to/39Hh7Bj

If so, they are a pretty good deal for the price, was about $20 cheaper on alibaba.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 109
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby Ken2.7 [OP] » April 4th 2021, 3:55am

I don’t think it shows transmission temp. but it’s been trial and error to figure out what I have so far.
Original Poster [OP]
Ken2.7

Postby The Drummer » April 4th 2021, 8:27am

Torque pro app will show you trans temp ,it did on my van ,as for the bezel i had a perfect spare from the jy so..... ,i think it still hanging on the shed s wall . if you want an analog gauge for the trans there is a place on the trans for just that ,and from the trans to dog house its pretty easy to hook up to . i do beleive that the light for the gear selector and odo are on the same fuse ,its one of the yellow wires thats in the radio harness , i did blow that fuse when i cut the eom radio plug :) .
''USE THE TORQUE LUKE ''

The Drummer
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby silverastro » June 8th 2021, 11:31pm

So to get a clearer picture on wiring up a tachometer
is it the white wire or white with black tracer or is it the purple / white tracer.
silverastro
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): steve
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: rwd 4.3l

Postby The Drummer » June 8th 2021, 11:44pm

Image.
''USE THE TORQUE LUKE ''

The Drummer
Alias (AKA):

Postby Mmusicman » June 9th 2021, 2:46pm

Since this is a thread about tach's..
I figured I'd share a quick video of mine in action (nothing crazy)..

2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 75
Alias (AKA): Scott
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby silverastro » June 9th 2021, 6:51pm

The Drummer wrote:Image.

sorry should have said my astro is a gen 2 1996
silverastro
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): steve
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: rwd 4.3l

Postby DriveDog » June 10th 2021, 2:24pm

A direct connection on exterior of transmission for temp sensor output?

Sorry if I missed something earlier. 2003 RWD here.

Thx,
David

The Drummer wrote:Torque pro app will show you trans temp ,it did on my van ,as for the bezel i had a perfect spare from the jy so..... ,i think it still hanging on the shed s wall . if you want an analog gauge for the trans there is a place on the trans for just that ,and from the trans to dog house its pretty easy to hook up to . i do beleive that the light for the gear selector and odo are on the same fuse ,its one of the yellow wires thats in the radio harness , i did blow that fuse when i cut the eom radio plug :) .
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered!" --Number Six
DriveDog
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: DriveDog has been a member for 2 full yearsDriveDog has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): David
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: LT RWD

Postby Ken2.7 [OP] » June 18th 2021, 10:17pm

Since I started this post and others may find it if searching for a tach I thought I should update that the Chinese made KW206 failed in less than a month. It now only shows the last two digits of the RPM so I have no idea how fast the engine is running. $50 down the drain so hopefully someone won’t buy one too. I took the picture below while cruising at 65 and the RPM is anybody’s guess as long as it ends in 73.
Attachments
B8031FA2-48D7-4FD9-9D66-15AAEBC487BF.jpeg
B8031FA2-48D7-4FD9-9D66-15AAEBC487BF.jpeg (134.32 KiB) Viewed 218 times
Original Poster [OP]
Ken2.7

Previous