Trailer Wiring connection

Trailer Wiring connection

Postby Up The Creek [OP] » March 29th 2012, 6:59am

Hello,

Does anyone know where I might find the connector for a 4 pin trailer wiring extension on a 1999 GMC safari. I don't see anything beneath the Jack on the passenger side.

Thanks

Martin
Original Poster [OP]
Up The Creek
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Up The Creek has been a member for 8 full yearsUp The Creek has been a member for 8 full yearsUp The Creek has been a member for 8 full yearsUp The Creek has been a member for 8 full yearsUp The Creek has been a member for 8 full yearsUp The Creek has been a member for 8 full yearsUp The Creek has been a member for 8 full yearsUp The Creek has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Trailer Wiring connection

Postby Big_kid » March 29th 2012, 1:30pm

I've read that it's either in the right rear pillar, or behind the right rear side panel. When I installed my trailer harness I didn't bother to look. Mines a conversion van and either one would have been more work to take off than to just make my own connections. I drilled a hole on either side, ran the wire up to the tail lights, soldered & shrink wrapped the connections, and put RTV around the wire to seal the hole where it passes through the floor. It's been 4 years so far, no troubles. I didn't need to add a brake controller until last year, but when I replaced the carpet I ran several wires for future use at that time. I connected one of those, and I was up and running (and stopping) in no time.

Welcome aboard!
:chevy:
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Re: Trailer Wiring connection

Postby RECox286 » March 29th 2012, 2:25pm

Your truck may not have had that RPO if you can't find it hovering in the jack area. I have only had 2 trucks out of the 5 or 6

I've had that came with the factory pigtail. So, I would say "you're on yer own" No problem, though, just remove the trim ** on

the driver side at the rear door, to gain access to the wiring harness that goes to the rear light fixtures. You will find everthing

you need to hook into on the truck side of the light fixture. For ease of installation, I get a terminal strip from Radio Shack

that accepts a small screw driver to tighten down on the cut and stripped wires.

Uncle Bob

** The rearmost utility pocket.
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]