Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Sealed beam to composite HL swap, might have fried something

589 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 ·
I just picked up a set of composite headlights from my local junkyard to replace my sealed beam lights on my 2000 astro cargo. I snapped a photo of the post on these forums I was using for reference while doing the wiring:
DSC_3588[1].JPG

Passenger HL wired up and worked perfect. Took a break for the night. This morning, wired up the driver's HL, but forgot to disconnect the battery before doing my splicing. I didn't realize this until after I had wired it up, and tried to turn on the headlights to test them. Now, they don't turn on at all. No dah lights, no ding with keys in the ignition, no start. Clicking type noise coming from the dash at maybe 10 second intervals, Thought it might be the HL/dimmer knob module, pulled it out and it's coming from the behind the gauge cluster I think. Stereo lights are on. Battery around 12v. All the fuses under the hood and under the dash look good.

I feel dumb for forgetting to disconnect the battery before cutting/splicing the wires, perhaps I fried something. Regardless, I need to figure out what's going on... suggestions?

See less See more
#3 ·
Ok, had some time to do a deeper dive on your issue. To figure this out you have to understand that the 1999 and the 2000 vans are not wired the same way. On the 99, they switch the power side of the bulbs to switch between high and low beam, on the 2000 they switch the ground side.

I'm guessing that your wiring didn't match the colors in the image that you posted? Can you explain exactly which colored wires you put where, and we can begin to figure this one out. Pictures can help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.