Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Electric Powered Astro?

673 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  backinabox 
#1 ·
I'm surprised that goggle hasn't taken me much farther than this thread here. At least when concerning Astro Vans.

https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?p=148988

I figured that since there was little real info in that thread, I'd simply start a new one, instead of resurrecting a necro thread!
With improving technology, it seems to me, almost a no brainer? Or am I just piddlin' up a rope? There's loads of space under the floor especially after removing all that heavy and space sucking drivetrain, exhaust system, etc.

Any Thoughts, Tips, Resources?
Gene

#3 ·
The Datsun in the vid of the last post is called the "White Zombie".The owner is John Wayland, he also has another blue Datsun show car called "Blue Meanie". He was with a group called NEDRA (National Electric Drag Racing Association) and they all did DYI electric conversions. Battery technology is always getting better (smaller, lighter, more powerful). The controllers many of them used were made by Otmar Ebenhoech, who did some cool conversions, including a stretch vanagon wetfalia. I would research NEDRA and maybe find some good info and contacts there.

#5 ·
h.gil said:
There's that retrofit/conversion kit that GM is putting out sometime in the not-so-distant future.
Is there any chance of a link to some info about it? Or at least a name for the related program?

There is a bunch of racing related info on the NEDRA website. Sadly, most conversion articles and stories are fairly ancient. I'm looking for some more "up to date" information!

Thanks,
Gene

#7 ·
Rock-N-Blues said:
h.gil said:
There's that retrofit/conversion kit that GM is putting out sometime in the not-so-distant future.
Is there any chance of a link to some info about it? Or at least a name for the related program?

There is a bunch of racing related info on the NEDRA website. Sadly, most conversion articles and stories are fairly ancient. I'm looking for some more "up to date" information!

Thanks,
Gene
https://www.engadget.com/chevy-ecrate-2 ... 02305.html

#8 ·
h.gil said:
Rock-N-Blues said:
h.gil said:

Thanks,
Gene
https://www.engadget.com/chevy-ecrate-2 ... 02305.html
Thanks for that link! :D Lots of cool info and links! Are there any others here with interest in this subject? If yes, I'll share what I find!

Thanx Again,
Gene

#9 ·
That's awesome I'll keep an eye on this I've been thinking about EV conversions for years it just hasn't been feasible till now.... some one needs to develop a sound system like ford put in their E-Mustang to produce any engine sound you could want

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.