how to? Replace Fuel Pump fuel level sensor

how to? Replace Fuel Pump fuel level sensor

Postby sirexilon [OP] » April 23rd 2012, 7:40am

Hello guys, I just got a 2000 GMC Safari with 113k miles on it, pretty good shape, but a few things to do to get it right.

My Fuel tank levels are all wrong, I will like to know if anybody has links or a how to replace the Fuel level sensor, I'm not in the mood to spend another 250 on it right now, So I'll try that first.

Thank you.
Original Poster [OP]
sirexilon
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: sirexilon has been a member for 8 full yearssirexilon has been a member for 8 full yearssirexilon has been a member for 8 full yearssirexilon has been a member for 8 full yearssirexilon has been a member for 8 full yearssirexilon has been a member for 8 full yearssirexilon has been a member for 8 full yearssirexilon has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 113Miles

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: how to? Replace Fuel Pump fuel level sensor

Postby redfury » April 23rd 2012, 10:48am

You have to drop the fuel tank in order to access it. We just had a member who did this and the next day the fuel pump died on him, causing him to have to replace the fuel pump as well.

Something to chew on until someone else chimes in.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby Lumpy » April 23rd 2012, 3:10pm

I'm not real sure but I think for 2000 year models you can only buy the fuel pump/sender as a unit. You can't just buy the sender separately. You're going to do some big pants work dropping the tank, disconnecting the fuel lines and wiring harness, removing the lock ring, replacing the strainer. You'll need something like a transmission jack or a modified floor jack to support the tank as you release it, or a lift and some strong and coordinated friends. Not exactly the kind of job I'd want to do more than once in a lifetime.

You've got 113 on the clock. If it were me, I'd replace the whole pump/sender. Particularly if there isn't an option in parts availablity.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby sirexilon [OP] » April 23rd 2012, 5:10pm

Thanks, I found the part alone, is just a connector, even the guy in Autozone told me to look for the sensor alone, but I understand what you mean.

I may wait a little and replace the whole thing, I know it has to give me at least 350 miles with full tank correct?

So I can use the odometer till then and re fuel at 300 at least.

Any where I can get the schematics on how to drop the tank? or is pretty straight forward?

Thanks again guys.
Original Poster [OP]
sirexilon
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: sirexilon has been a member for 8 full yearssirexilon has been a member for 8 full yearssirexilon has been a member for 8 full yearssirexilon has been a member for 8 full yearssirexilon has been a member for 8 full yearssirexilon has been a member for 8 full yearssirexilon has been a member for 8 full yearssirexilon has been a member for 8 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » April 27th 2012, 1:45pm

sirexilon wrote:
Any where I can get the schematics on how to drop the tank? or is pretty straight forward?

Sure. In the ENGINE section of this forum, there's a sticky with pickies called "How to change your fuel pump".

Lumpump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby sirexilon [OP] » April 27th 2012, 8:57pm

Lumpy wrote:
sirexilon wrote:

Sure. In the ENGINE section of this forum, there's a sticky with pickies called "How to change your fuel pump".

Lumpump

THANK YOU THANK YOU ;-0
Original Poster [OP]
sirexilon
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby jrsride2002 » April 27th 2012, 11:04pm

I did the replacement on my own, took a few hours but it is pretty straight forward. I did it on a "empty" tank, then siphoned the rest out with a tiny tube style siphon. The larger tubed one got stuck in my '01.

If you do decide to do the task, what i did was used rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts, it will be a row of small metal contacts in the shape of a rainbow. On mine, there was a little gunk on it, and the rubbing alcohol took care of it easy. Unfortunately you wont know if it worked until you put it all back together and toss some fuel in.... :pray:

Just food for thought, I used the 90% alcohol from the drug store, think it was CVS.
2001 RWD: E-Fan mod(Ford mystique/contour), 1" radiator swap , external trans AND oil coolers (2)Flex a lite 3826, firestone air bag helpers

2000 AWD: Offroad/camping Project
jrsride2002
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: jrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Junior
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: LS V6 RWD