Alternator Replacement 96 V6 Vortec AWD

Alternator Replacement 96 V6 Vortec AWD

Postby scobiejoe [OP] » June 24th 2012, 7:19pm

Hey Guys, I have a very clean 96 Astro 4.3 Vortec AWD with 53,000 miles on the clock with the Explorer conversion. I am based in France at the moment.

My Alternator is shot so I will have to do a replacement job. I will be ordering one from the U.S. soon but the problem is that I will have to attempt the job myself. French mechanics are a bit funny about American cars!

I am not a mechanic so I was hoping that some of you guys who know this engine inside out may be able to help me with the replacement. I need a detailed description of what is required. Where best to access the Alternator from, what to remove to work at it and what I need to complete the job. Basically, all the information and tips necessary to complete the job!

I have the tools and the time, all I need now is the knowledge!

Thanks in advance guys,

Irish Joe
Original Poster [OP]
scobiejoe
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: scobiejoe has been a member for 8 full yearsscobiejoe has been a member for 8 full yearsscobiejoe has been a member for 8 full yearsscobiejoe has been a member for 8 full yearsscobiejoe has been a member for 8 full yearsscobiejoe has been a member for 8 full yearsscobiejoe has been a member for 8 full yearsscobiejoe has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA): Hook
Van Model Year: 1996
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3 V6 AWD Explorer

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Alternator Replacement 96 V6 Vortec AWD

Postby Jasen » June 24th 2012, 11:39pm

The alt is pretty straight forward, I think yours has 2 bolts holding it in, but some have 3, one of which can a pain to get to and it may be easier to access it through the dog house or bend a wrench to the angle you need to get at it. The bracket system can pinch them in there so you may want to loosen a few of the bolts the hold the bracket to the block to release the pressure on it if it doesn't slip out. Once that's done it can be a bit of a puzzle to weasel the alt out of the motor bay. Then there's just the wiring plug most of which have some type of clipy thing holding them in that you need to decipher how it releases so you don't damage it.

They generally offer to alts. a 95 amp I think it is and a 105 amp, when I did mine the 105 was like $10-15 cheaper :shrug:

Oh, the pulley, you might have to put your old one on the new alt.

Check rockauto.com for parts, they ship internationally as well as to France :mrgreen: ;)

They also often have a discount code listed in the vendors forum here.
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby scobiejoe [OP] » June 25th 2012, 1:43am

Thanks again Jasen,

I've no idea what "the dog house" is but I'm sure I will find out soon enough! This is the priority job as this is what is stopping the van from driving at the moment!

The water pump is next on the list and the leaf springs will have me in showroom condition again! I hope!

thanks for all your help, you will probably hear from me again soon!

Irish Joe
Original Poster [OP]
scobiejoe
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: scobiejoe has been a member for 8 full yearsscobiejoe has been a member for 8 full yearsscobiejoe has been a member for 8 full yearsscobiejoe has been a member for 8 full yearsscobiejoe has been a member for 8 full yearsscobiejoe has been a member for 8 full yearsscobiejoe has been a member for 8 full yearsscobiejoe has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA): Hook
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: 4.3 V6 AWD Explorer

Postby Jasen » June 25th 2012, 1:46am

The dog house is the engine cover. once you get the console off, you'll see why it's called a dog house.
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby smokinjoe » June 26th 2012, 3:17am

I just did mine for the first time and posted a bunch of pics on how I did it. Mines a 95. If you have the 3rd bolt in the back you may be in for some frustration but other than that it is very straightforward. You gotta remove the top half of the fan shroud. Let me know if you have any questions.

Oh yeah heres the thread on it and the pics I took of my custom bended wrench.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=15126&hilit=alternator

I dont think taking the doghouse off will help at all. (doghouse is the enclosure that seperates the cabin from the motor. It comes off for engine access.)
smokinjoe
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: smokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 268
Alias (AKA): smokinjoe
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: RWD

Postby Lumpy » September 2nd 2012, 6:46pm

Late to the party ...

BEFORE you remove the old alternator, draw a diagram and take digital photos of your serpentine belt routing.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo