Switch to full site
Discussion specific to electric components of vans. Category for alternators or batteries, starters and ignition parts, anything 12v and electrical issue like fuses, circuitry, wire, terminals, switches, connectors, bulbs, relays, and wiring. Voltage and amperage diagnosis.
Post a reply

Starter, Alternator or Ignition?? Please help

November 14th 2012, 2:37pm

About a month ago I started having problems with starting my 2003 Chevy Astro. When I turn the ignition, it would not start. Battery is only 8 months old. The head lights are bright and all dash lights are lit. No sound like clicking or anything when I turn the key .... but if I turn the key very, very, very slowly, it starts normally. This happens usually in the mornings but not every morning. After that it will start normally the rest of the day. Now that the weather is getting a little colder, it is happening more often. I have checked and cleaned the battery terminals and there is good electrical contact. Not sure what else to check.

Re: Starter, Alternator or Ignition?? Please help

November 14th 2012, 4:02pm

Sounds like the ignition. I would take the cover off and look at the connetions.

November 14th 2012, 4:16pm

The igition is an all or nothing deal so whether you turn it slowly or quickly it should have the same end result. Given the fact that you can alter its behaivor based on the speed of turning the key seems to indicate it is definately a problem with the ignition switch.

November 14th 2012, 4:26pm

The starter actucator switch is located at the bottom of the steering column, it's sounds like that's where the problem is IF you are not getting any Click from the starter Solenoid when you turn the key.

From the key switch to the actucator, there is a rod inside the column, when the key is turned it pushes that rod completing the electrical patch to the starter. That is a slight slider adjustment on the actucator that can be done to see if that's your problem.
It's at the base of the steering column on top so you do have to drop the column and remove the covers to get to it.
Start there, look under dash you may even be able to get to it to make the adjustment without the column drop.

Most common wear is using the wheel tilt too much, which will develop play in the whole column and not let the rod ingauge all the way.
Post a reply