Van will turn over but won't start

Van will turn over but won't start

Postby lifeguard000 [OP] » March 5th 2013, 3:10am

About a month, ago My 95 Safari wouldn't start after coming back out of the store. It would turnover.
Had to have it towed home. 1/2 an hour later, tried it again and away it went. Didn't have any problem until four days ago. went out in the morning and no start. 2 hours later away she went! Drove around for 2 more days no problem. Then yesterday, went out and no go. Every body suggested it was the fuel pump.
So went out and bought new one and put it in. Took me six hours. Tried starting and no go. I disconnected the fuel line at the filter and turned the engine over. Lots of fuel coming out of the line. Tested the old pump with 12 volt power and it worked. So I know the problem never was the fuel pump. So I checked the distributer, coil and ignition control module for power. every body was getting thier 12 volts. Oddly enough after several attemps it started again. I ran it for 10 minutes. Ran like a pussy cat. Turned it off and retried starting it again. No go. I don't know how to trouble shoot it from here. Any suggestions
Original Poster [OP]
lifeguard000
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: lifeguard000 has been a member for 8 full yearslifeguard000 has been a member for 8 full yearslifeguard000 has been a member for 8 full yearslifeguard000 has been a member for 8 full yearslifeguard000 has been a member for 8 full yearslifeguard000 has been a member for 8 full yearslifeguard000 has been a member for 8 full yearslifeguard000 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): DaveS
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLX 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • E-brake warning light won't turn off
    by AngryPunk » November 12th 2020, 3:43pm in Electrical
    7 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    November 16th 2020, 6:37pm
  • Ignition power won’t turn off
    by Timbomac » February 17th 2021, 10:15pm in Electrical
    6 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    February 18th 2021, 10:50pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 3rd 2021, 4:54pm

Re: Van will turn over but won't start

Postby Drummernaut » March 5th 2013, 4:09am

I had a very similar problem with a 2002 Astro work van. The funny thing was when I took it too the shop for the second time, the shop called me to get it and it would not start in their parking lot!! I did some research and found that the rotor and cap were corroded. I guess your supposed to knock out the screens of the distributor to keep from a moister build up. Not sure if that applies to your 95 but worth checking.

Have you checked you fuel pressure, even with the new fuel pump? The video in this post here: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=17690 is great information.

How is your battery voltage?

If all that checks out you may be looking at a ignition control module problem.

Search the site, lots of good info here.
1999 Astro LT AWD
MODS: Electric fan, Transmission cooler/fan, AWD engaged LED
Drummernaut
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Drummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Drummer From Hell
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT V6 AWD

Postby lifeguard000 [OP] » March 5th 2013, 4:40am

Oddly enough there was some corrsion build up in the distributor cap and I cleaned it up and gave a little scuffing to the terminals. I did a full tune up this last august including new rotor and distrubutor cap, so I was a little suprised by the corrsion. My one year old battery tested out at 12.9 volts. The odd thing is that it started up several times and ran fine. If fuel pressure was the problem, why would it run so well the odd times it started. I'm inclined to agree about the ICM or possible the coil but how do I test them? I've already replaced one thing that I didn't need to. would like to narrow it down to the culprit and replace only that. Thanks for your input
Original Poster [OP]
lifeguard000
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: lifeguard000 has been a member for 8 full yearslifeguard000 has been a member for 8 full yearslifeguard000 has been a member for 8 full yearslifeguard000 has been a member for 8 full yearslifeguard000 has been a member for 8 full yearslifeguard000 has been a member for 8 full yearslifeguard000 has been a member for 8 full yearslifeguard000 has been a member for 8 full years

Postby Drummernaut » March 5th 2013, 6:03am

Not sure how to test the control module but there should be a primary and secondary test for the coil. I don't have the resistance numbers of hand but maybe .2-.5ohm primary, 7K-10K secondary? Sorry I don't have the numbers off hand but I am sure someone will have it or I will check my 99 book when I get home.
1999 Astro LT AWD
Drummernaut
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: Drummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full years

Postby lifeguard000 [OP] » March 5th 2013, 6:32am

I'm your basic handyman kind of mechanic. I can fix most things as long as I have done it before or I get step by step instuctions. I always seem to get the job done. This is definity a challenge. I'm trying to trouble shoot something when I don't know what to look for. Thanks drummernaught
Original Poster [OP]
lifeguard000
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby Drummernaut » March 5th 2013, 6:51am

I am hours from getting home but you can do a quick search on the internet for primary and secondary resistance values. You will need a resistance meter if you don't already have one.
1999 Astro LT AWD
Drummernaut
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby lifeguard000 [OP] » March 5th 2013, 6:59am

Just a little side note: just went out to try van after sitting for a couple of hours. Started up on first try. ran perfectly. shut it off and tried again. no start. go figure!https://www.astrosafari.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=76&t=17871#
Original Poster [OP]
lifeguard000
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby lifeguard000 [OP] » March 5th 2013, 7:08am

I have the meter but I'm not sure where to look or how to use the info.
Original Poster [OP]
lifeguard000
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby Drummernaut » March 5th 2013, 7:13am

What you can do is eliminate a coil issue by checking your spark while the van will not turn over. If you have spark then spay some staring fluid into your intake(just past the MAF) like the video of the post I pointed you to.

If the van starts and runs or runs buts dies then you still may be dealing with a fuel pressure or fuel issue period. If it does not start, back fires or runs horribly it may point to the control mod.
1999 Astro LT AWD
Drummernaut
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby djwarren312616 » March 5th 2013, 7:16am

I just did coil, wires, and plugs. Doesn't sound like thats it. Mine wouldn't turn over period, if you are going to do those use ACDELCO all the way trust me on that.
djwarren312616
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: djwarren312616 has been a member for 8 full yearsdjwarren312616 has been a member for 8 full yearsdjwarren312616 has been a member for 8 full yearsdjwarren312616 has been a member for 8 full yearsdjwarren312616 has been a member for 8 full yearsdjwarren312616 has been a member for 8 full yearsdjwarren312616 has been a member for 8 full yearsdjwarren312616 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: SLE 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby lifeguard000 [OP] » March 6th 2013, 10:41pm

Ok, i got fed up and replaced the ignition control module. BINGO problem solved. starts every time. Man its amazing what little it takes to screw up and how complex it is to find the problem. Anyways, thanks for the input people.
Original Poster [OP]
lifeguard000
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby 94 Van Guy » March 6th 2013, 11:36pm

Glad you got it solved. Thanks for letting us know what it took to fix it.

Good luck,

Keith
'91 Chevy G30 Bus 39.3K Miles

Retired
Safari
87 Safari, 91 Astro
86 Astro, 85 Astro
88 Astro, 92 Astro
89 Astro, 88 Astro

94 Van Guy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 71
Alias (AKA): Keith
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: G30 Bus

Postby Drummernaut » March 7th 2013, 12:52am

Yeeeeeeeee-haaaaaaaw!!!!
1999 Astro LT AWD
Drummernaut
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces