Headlight question

Headlight question

Postby fastivaca [OP] » February 14th 2009, 9:07pm

Hello all,

I'm having an issue with my headlights on my Canadian base model Astro. The daytime running lights are currently running on the low beams when I believe they are supposed to be on the high beam side. The headlights themselves are not working. The park brake switch does what it is supposed to and the low beam bulbs were very recently replaced and are working. The high beam bulbs were working a couple of days ago. As far the as the headlight switch goes it turns on the tail and front marker lights as it should and also turns off the DRLs as it should. Are there any other parts I should be looking at? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Ian
97 Astro base model
There are thousands of fasteners holding a vehicle together but the one that causes the most problems is the nut attaching the steering wheel to the front seat!
Original Poster [OP]
fastivaca
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: fastivaca has been a member for 12 full yearsfastivaca has been a member for 12 full yearsfastivaca has been a member for 12 full yearsfastivaca has been a member for 12 full yearsfastivaca has been a member for 12 full yearsfastivaca has been a member for 12 full yearsfastivaca has been a member for 12 full yearsfastivaca has been a member for 12 full yearsfastivaca has been a member for 12 full yearsfastivaca has been a member for 12 full yearsfastivaca has been a member for 12 full yearsfastivaca has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Composite to sealed beam DRL question
    by AstroOafAdventurer » March 1st 2021, 4:31pm in Electrical
    5 Replies
    Last post by AstroOafAdventurer View the latest post
    March 5th 2021, 11:26pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 7th 2021, 7:23am

Re: Headlight question

Postby astro355 » February 14th 2009, 11:40pm

Why would the daytime running lights use the high beams?
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby fastivaca [OP] » February 15th 2009, 12:04am

It's wired so that the high beams are used for the DRLs but they're at a lower voltage so as not to be so bright. Can anyone tell me where the relay and module for the DRL system are located?

Thanks again

Ian
There are thousands of fasteners holding a vehicle together but the one that causes the most problems is the nut attaching the steering wheel to the front seat!
Original Poster [OP]
fastivaca
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: fastivaca has been a member for 12 full yearsfastivaca has been a member for 12 full yearsfastivaca has been a member for 12 full yearsfastivaca has been a member for 12 full yearsfastivaca has been a member for 12 full yearsfastivaca has been a member for 12 full yearsfastivaca has been a member for 12 full yearsfastivaca has been a member for 12 full yearsfastivaca has been a member for 12 full yearsfastivaca has been a member for 12 full yearsfastivaca has been a member for 12 full yearsfastivaca has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Matrixx » February 15th 2009, 2:28am

Hi fastivaca
The DRL relay should be located in the Convenience Center (CC). Next to the fuse block under the dash. The relay your looking for is G1-G2-G3-H1-H3 plug-ins that go into that relay. It will be the small black relay box on the outside corner next to the horn relay and the same size.

The DRL module for Canadian set-ups should be located near the CC or the Fuse Block under the dash. Mine was tucked in behind the carpet. It does have DRL Module stamped on it (or mine did anyways).
Wires hooked into are:
-Blk
-Grn/Blk
-Tan/Wht (x2)
-Yel
-Lt Blu (x2)

Their is a DRL Diode running from the (CC) plug-in to the Fuse Block. This is on the Yellow wire from the CC which changes colors at that DRL Diode to Orange which goes into the Fuse Block.

The fuse you want to check is fuse-#15 (20amp) located in the fuse block under the dash (which should be marked DRL).

Hope this helps. Please keep us updated, Thanks.:)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):

Postby fastivaca [OP] » February 15th 2009, 11:38pm

Thanks for the info. I have already checked the DRL fuse and it's good.

I'm heading out to the local Pick n Pull tomorrow so I'm going to pull the relay, module and also the combination switch (wipers, high beams etc.) from another Astro to see if that's the problem.

Would this issue arise if both high beam bulbs were burnt out?

Ian
97 Astro
Original Poster [OP]
fastivaca
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby fastivaca [OP] » February 18th 2009, 6:07am

A quick update.... I think I've narrowed it down to a faulty headlight switch. I picked one up at the wreckers today to see if it makes a difference. The lights started working properly... for a while... last night so I know that all the bulbs are working and the high beam switch is switching as it's supposed to as well.

I will post further updates in the next day or so.

Thanks to all for your input.

Ian
97 Astro 8 passenger base model... as stock as stock can be!
Original Poster [OP]
fastivaca
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Matrixx » February 18th 2009, 11:59am

Thanks for the updates fastivaca. It's this kind of trouble shooting and problem solving that really helps others out. Great work.:)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):

Postby astro355 » February 18th 2009, 7:27pm

What do you mean it started working for a while? Did it revert back to the original problem after you changed the switch?
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby fastivaca [OP] » February 18th 2009, 11:18pm

Sorry for the confusion... I haven't replaced the switch yet. I'll get that done tonight and report the outcome.

Ian
Original Poster [OP]
fastivaca
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Grouch » May 24th 2009, 1:26am

Fastivaca.

Did you get your problem solved. I didn't know that I also have this situation. The DRLs work on the low beams.

I have added extra driving lights that I want to 'drive' by a feed from the hi-beams to a switch , then relay to the lights. I've done this 457 times on my previous vehicles but can't on the astro.

There appears to always be power at the sockets of both the hi and low beams (when the lights are on), then off to some MAGIC box that lights the correct ones. My latest thought was to tap into the wire going to the indicator light, but that's work.

PS. I see you're in Calgary also, isn't PnP great I was there yesterday and they have a whole 'NEW' batch of 2000s.
Grouch
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Grouch has been a member for 11 full yearsGrouch has been a member for 11 full yearsGrouch has been a member for 11 full yearsGrouch has been a member for 11 full yearsGrouch has been a member for 11 full yearsGrouch has been a member for 11 full yearsGrouch has been a member for 11 full yearsGrouch has been a member for 11 full yearsGrouch has been a member for 11 full yearsGrouch has been a member for 11 full yearsGrouch has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby fastivaca [OP] » May 24th 2009, 4:20pm

I'd almost forgotten about this thread... sorry. The problem wasn't the switch. I discovered that when I adjusted the tilt steering the headlights would go off and/or on. I'm guessing that there's a wire loose or rubbing somewhere up in the column that's causing the problem. Haven't had any issues with it lately so haven't bothered to try and trace it.... I really don't like electrical :eek:
Original Poster [OP]
fastivaca
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Vanjoe » April 28th 2012, 1:37am

Hi All, Sorry to bring up an old post needlessly but... I am or was searching info on Astro headlights. I have my first bulb type, non sealed beams and wanted info before I attacked a blown bulb.
Anyhow, just read this thread and see the conclusion was a bad wire in the steering column AND since 2009, someone is driving with headlights that can shutoff due to movement of the steering column!!!?!! :o :shock:
HOLY SMOKES!!!! But then I read 2 things..... he is in another country ..... so I won't be running into him in the dark , and his signature....... very appropriate! :D

Man I hope you had another car to drive during the period between finding the problem and fixing it. Also wonder if this wire problem could be common? I OVERuse my tilt function!
98 Sterling Hi-top Conversion
Former
90 Astro conversion
91 ext Astro I added 350/4bl .TOTALED..my fault
88 Astro conversion 177k-270k,threw rod.
85 Astro mint body ,totaled 9 days later Paid $1k, insurance gave me $2k
86 Astro 147k-242k, sold running!
Vanjoe
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: Vanjoe has been a member for 10 full yearsVanjoe has been a member for 10 full yearsVanjoe has been a member for 10 full yearsVanjoe has been a member for 10 full yearsVanjoe has been a member for 10 full yearsVanjoe has been a member for 10 full yearsVanjoe has been a member for 10 full yearsVanjoe has been a member for 10 full yearsVanjoe has been a member for 10 full yearsVanjoe has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): Joe
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Sterling Convers