Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Ignition

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Big_kid 
#1 ·
I'm fixen to get a 1987 Van for parts but before I start doing that, the people i'm buying the van don't have a clue about it because it belonged to the son/brother.

I was told that once the mom had passed away the guy left and they have not heard from him. so they don't have a key and they don't know if the van works or not.

I know it needs a battery and the tires aired up, but I'd like to see if i can get it started. Do i just need to have a locksmith come make me a key for the ignition? or what else can i do to see if it works?

#3 ·
I'm :screaming:. Firefox started crashing on me tonight, and it just ate a 20 minute reply. Grr...

Short version:

FRESH gas- don't mix with stale fuel. Stale fuel mixed with fresh is still stale fuel.
Starter switch- still on bottom of steering column? 2 bolts, slide it back and forth with a screwdriver. A buddy back in high school drove his caddy for 2 years like this. Steering wheel & shifter will still be locked, but it can be started & run this way.

If it's really been sitting a while, pull the plugs, squirt some oil in the cylinders, let it settle in(clean & gap the plugs while you wait), turn it over with the plugs out until the oil pressure builds back up- watch the oil gauge/light. Crank it a few seconds more to circulate oil. Clean/re-gap plugs & reinstall. If it starts, it WILL smoke at first. The oil you squirted in will burn off, this will stop soon.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

#4 ·
Hi TRICKORMATE

Just a little off base from the great advice given so far is, how are the people able to sell you the van when they are not the registered owner of it? How is this going to play out at the time of transfer?

If your not going to transfer it as you say your using it for parts, then what would happen to you if the son/brother showed up one day wanting his van? Just some questions to ask yourself before giving money to strangers you don't know.:)

#5 ·
TRICKORMATE said:
... or what else can i do to see if it works?
Its called hot wiring, son. No, I would recommend that. Just hooking up a remote starter button won't work, because you would only be powering up the starter and none of the ignition components.

The easiest thing to do would be get a key made from a locksmith, as I don't think the dealer would able to cut one just by knowing the VIN( like newer vehicles). Maybe see if they will pay for it, and tell them to add it to the final price if the deal goes smoothly.

#6 ·
I believe a dealer could cut keys from the VIN so long as the locks haven't been replaced. We used to do that back in '87 when I ran around with a Repo Man.

Spongebob is correct, a remote button will only turn the starter motor. It doesn't power the ignition.

#7 ·
Matrixx said:
Hi TRICKORMATE

Just a little off base from the great advice given so far is, how are the people able to sell you the van when they are not the registered owner of it? How is this going to play out at the time of transfer?

If your not going to transfer it as you say your using it for parts, then what would happen to you if the son/brother showed up one day wanting his van? Just some questions to ask yourself before giving money to strangers you don't know.:)
They are going to write me a bill of sale, and they would help me file for a lost title.

#8 ·
spongebob218 said:
TRICKORMATE said:
... or what else can i do to see if it works?
Its called hot wiring, son. No, I would recommend that. Just hooking up a remote starter button won't work, because you would only be powering up the starter and none of the ignition components.

Big_kid said:
Spongebob is correct, a remote button will only turn the starter motor. It doesn't power the ignition.
Details, details. :banghead:

#9 ·
A dealer can and will cut you a new key, but you MUST have a title in your name. So you'd have to get that straightened out first...

Or you can go to a parts place and buy a new ignition lock that comes with a new key and replace the old one.

#12 ·
Hi TRICKORMATE

Thanks for the update, just didn't want to see you get burned down the road that's all.:)

If you can get the title sorted out, then I think it would be easier to just get a key cut from the dealership wouldn't it? Replacing the ignition switch won't help with the door locks which the key from the dealership would (fits both (I believe)).

Replacing the ignition switch isn't that difficult to do,no, but does take time. Please keep us updated thanks.:)

#13 ·
^ I don't know about this '87, but my '93 has two different keys - one for locks, one for ignition. I'm still looking for my Astro manuals. I seem to have hidden them on myself...

#14 ·
Leeann_93 said:
^ I don't know about this '87, but my '93 has two different keys - one for locks, one for ignition. I'm still looking for my Astro manuals. I seem to have hidden them on myself...
You can get it done either way. One way is more expensive than the other but I honestly can't remember which. I had worked on another GM car years ago were we switched out the ignition cylinder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.