Automatic locking feature

Automatic locking feature

Postby lukyboy [OP] » March 17th 2009, 6:02am

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum, although I've been coming here for information since November '08 when I got my 2000 LT with 87K miles. Relatively few problems with it, and we really enjoy the comfortable seats w/recliners all around, yet can still seat 8. We've loaded it down with 11 people once! My problem concerns the automatic locking feature that we discovered with the van running and the doors closed. Unfortunately we were outside the van when it happened. Thank God for spare keys! When we bought the van, it didn't have the remote for the keyless entry, but I bought one on eBay and programmed it myself. I didn't know that this would be a feature we'd have to deal with to counteract the convenience of having the remote keyless entry, although I recall the same thing happened frequently with a mid-90s Pontiac my parents had. So is there a way to turn off this feature, or do we just need to be careful not to close the doors when walking away from the van while it's running? Thanks in advance for your help.
Lukyboy
Original Poster [OP]
lukyboy
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: lukyboy has been a member for 11 full yearslukyboy has been a member for 11 full yearslukyboy has been a member for 11 full yearslukyboy has been a member for 11 full yearslukyboy has been a member for 11 full yearslukyboy has been a member for 11 full yearslukyboy has been a member for 11 full yearslukyboy has been a member for 11 full yearslukyboy has been a member for 11 full yearslukyboy has been a member for 11 full yearslukyboy has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):

Re: Automatic locking feature

Postby Matrixx » March 17th 2009, 8:57am

Hi lukyboy

Welcome to the Forum

Were the auto door locks activating (while the engine was running) before the after market install? If not, then you could go to the company that made your system you bought from e-bay and see if they have instructions on disabling it. Just a thought.:)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):

Postby spongebob218 » March 17th 2009, 11:51am

This would definitely be an aftermarket device, as the factory system wouldn't lock just sitting there. There are quite a few different model devices that do this. I've seen it happen to a bunch of guys at work, where they would raise the car up to work on it and when they dropped it down the doors would be locked. It kinda sucks when there is vehicle stranded on your rack and you can't move it because you are locked out. :banghead:
You ain't nothin' unless you have green plugs.
spongebob218
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: spongebob218 has been a member for 12 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 12 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 12 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 12 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 12 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 12 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 12 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 12 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 12 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 12 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 12 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » March 17th 2009, 8:36pm

Sounds like you only bought the fob on eBay and programmed it to work with factory keyless entry, but is there an aftermarket alarm installed on the vehicle?

I ask because the factory remote keyless entry never auto-locks the doors on my Bravada and there is no way to program it to do so. However, I have a 240sx with aftermarket remote keyless entry (the alarm add-on was removed before I bought it) and that does auto-lock the doors after you start the vehicle and unlock the doors when you shut it off.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby lukyboy [OP] » March 18th 2009, 4:54am

I guess I should clarify, and by the way, thanks for all the replies...all I bought was the keyfob, because the previous owner did not have one to give me. The van came stock with RKE, so all I had to do was buy the stock fob and program it according to the seller's instructions. I've never actually experienced this myself, it was my wife who had it happen to her. Fortunately she had her cell phone with her (outside the van) and called me to come with the spare key. I guess I should try this at home with the spare key in hand to see if it actually does it. I've been very careful not to let the door shut when I get out with the van running. If this is a moot point, I apologize for wasting your time :shrug: I must say, while I have the platform, I never thought we'd get this much enjoyment out of a minivan. It's so comfortable, gets decent fuel mileage, has plenty of pep, and can hold a lot of people and stuff...and it's a Chevy! And it's 9 years old! And it only cost me $4750! Hijacking my own thread: has anyone had any computer work done to either increase mileage or horsepower?
Original Poster [OP]
lukyboy
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: lukyboy has been a member for 11 full yearslukyboy has been a member for 11 full yearslukyboy has been a member for 11 full yearslukyboy has been a member for 11 full yearslukyboy has been a member for 11 full yearslukyboy has been a member for 11 full yearslukyboy has been a member for 11 full yearslukyboy has been a member for 11 full yearslukyboy has been a member for 11 full yearslukyboy has been a member for 11 full yearslukyboy has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):

Postby 'cudapaul » March 18th 2009, 5:52am

Surprisingly, the GM factory manual recommends rolling the driver or passenger windows down when working on the van!
Wonder why?
'cudapaul
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years
Alias (AKA): 'cudapaul
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT AWD