Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Automatic locking feature

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  'cudapaul 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum, although I've been coming here for information since November '08 when I got my 2000 LT with 87K miles. Relatively few problems with it, and we really enjoy the comfortable seats w/recliners all around, yet can still seat 8. We've loaded it down with 11 people once! My problem concerns the automatic locking feature that we discovered with the van running and the doors closed. Unfortunately we were outside the van when it happened. Thank God for spare keys! When we bought the van, it didn't have the remote for the keyless entry, but I bought one on eBay and programmed it myself. I didn't know that this would be a feature we'd have to deal with to counteract the convenience of having the remote keyless entry, although I recall the same thing happened frequently with a mid-90s Pontiac my parents had. So is there a way to turn off this feature, or do we just need to be careful not to close the doors when walking away from the van while it's running? Thanks in advance for your help.
Lukyboy

#2 ·
Hi lukyboy

Welcome to the Forum

Were the auto door locks activating (while the engine was running) before the after market install? If not, then you could go to the company that made your system you bought from e-bay and see if they have instructions on disabling it. Just a thought.:)

#3 ·
This would definitely be an aftermarket device, as the factory system wouldn't lock just sitting there. There are quite a few different model devices that do this. I've seen it happen to a bunch of guys at work, where they would raise the car up to work on it and when they dropped it down the doors would be locked. It kinda sucks when there is vehicle stranded on your rack and you can't move it because you are locked out. :banghead:

#4 ·
Sounds like you only bought the fob on eBay and programmed it to work with factory keyless entry, but is there an aftermarket alarm installed on the vehicle?

I ask because the factory remote keyless entry never auto-locks the doors on my Bravada and there is no way to program it to do so. However, I have a 240sx with aftermarket remote keyless entry (the alarm add-on was removed before I bought it) and that does auto-lock the doors after you start the vehicle and unlock the doors when you shut it off.

#5 ·
I guess I should clarify, and by the way, thanks for all the replies...all I bought was the keyfob, because the previous owner did not have one to give me. The van came stock with RKE, so all I had to do was buy the stock fob and program it according to the seller's instructions. I've never actually experienced this myself, it was my wife who had it happen to her. Fortunately she had her cell phone with her (outside the van) and called me to come with the spare key. I guess I should try this at home with the spare key in hand to see if it actually does it. I've been very careful not to let the door shut when I get out with the van running. If this is a moot point, I apologize for wasting your time :shrug: I must say, while I have the platform, I never thought we'd get this much enjoyment out of a minivan. It's so comfortable, gets decent fuel mileage, has plenty of pep, and can hold a lot of people and stuff...and it's a Chevy! And it's 9 years old! And it only cost me $4750! Hijacking my own thread: has anyone had any computer work done to either increase mileage or horsepower?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.