Fuel Pump Floor Cutout Location

Fuel Pump Floor Cutout Location

Postby 97cargocrawler [OP] » August 31st 2013, 8:10am

I finally made some measurements and consolidated some of my posts from other threads. I have no way to verify if all vans have the pump located in the same spot. These measurements are for my 1997 GMC 2WD Safari. ALWAYS DRILL A SMALL PILOT HOLE TO VERIFY THE PUMP IS WHERE YOU THINK IT IS.

Measuring on a straight line from the corner created by the fender well and drivers side wall of the van, the center of the fuel pump is located 24.5"away from the wall and 8" forward from that line towards the drivers seat:

A closeup:

If you would like to install a hatch door like this they are available from McMasterCarr p/n: 8143A14 $32.10

I drilled a tiny pilot hole to get an idea of the placement and then I dropped the tank. I had to drop the tank to do my last lift so I figured it was a good time to cut a big *** hole in the floor. I got underneath the van and saw where the foam that's on top of the tank had contacted the floor. It was a no brainer to find the center between the rub marks. The hatch cutout is 10 3/8"x 10 3/8" and floor channels didn't allow me to perfectly center the door but it was close enough for me! I wanted to be sure I had a raised section of the floor on both sides of the door frame so I could secure it with rivets.

Some vans have a steel firewall plate on top of their tank. This is one more piece of steel that needs to be cut through if you decide not to lower the tank. Here's what it looks like:

It is possible to cut through both plates from inside the van if you are careful. However, since we are dealing with heat, sparks and a flammable substance nearby.....I RECOMMEND DROPPING THE TANK BEFORE CUTTING! Dropping the tank a few inches will allow you to remove that firewall plate if you have one and will also prevent you from cutting into the tank or fuel lines.

I ditched the firewall thing that was on top of my tank (the extra piece of steel that not all vans have) and had to add 1/4" plastic shims to space the tank a bit lower. The frame on the hatch is a little too deep and will crush into the tank when the straps are tightened up. You could also trim the bottom of the hatch but that's a hell of a lot more work.

Spacers:

To fill in the gaps under the frame I used heavy duty weatherstrip foam and polyurethane sealant.

The next time my pump dies I'm expecting to spend about 20 minutes replacing it.
Last edited by 97cargocrawler on August 31st 2013, 9:38pm, edited 2 times in total.
Original Poster [OP]
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Fuel Pump Floor Cutout Location

Postby xit » August 31st 2013, 1:00pm

Thanks, good write up. :rockon:
Possibly Natures most perfect food, good beef jerky and cold beer......
xit
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: xit has been a member for 8 full yearsxit has been a member for 8 full yearsxit has been a member for 8 full yearsxit has been a member for 8 full yearsxit has been a member for 8 full yearsxit has been a member for 8 full yearsxit has been a member for 8 full yearsxit has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 64
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Conversion

Postby ishort18 » August 31st 2013, 3:27pm

Haha. Does that 20 minutes include the time to run to the Autozone? Haha!

Awesome write up. Wonder if the 1st gens pumps are in the same place. Anyone know? Mine is a 94 standard length RWD.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
1994 Chevy Astro Van aka "The DisasterVan"
105,xxx miles
4.3L (W)
RWD
ishort18
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: ishort18 has been a member for 6 full yearsishort18 has been a member for 6 full yearsishort18 has been a member for 6 full yearsishort18 has been a member for 6 full yearsishort18 has been a member for 6 full yearsishort18 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 8
Extra Info: 4.3L RWD Auto

Postby safariking » August 31st 2013, 6:14pm

that's a great idea :clap:
safariking
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: safariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 23
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: SLE 4.3

Postby gavio » August 31st 2013, 8:23pm

What he said..... Great idea.... thanks
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
gavio
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 76
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD

Postby WoodButcher » September 1st 2013, 8:53pm

Thanks CC,
That's what I asked for and then some. :thumbup:
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby redfury » September 2nd 2013, 6:37pm

this should be a sticky.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby thegreenmachine » September 2nd 2013, 7:28pm

stick it up top, this will help a lot of people. even though doing this probably takes the same time as dropping the tank. but, next time, its an easy fix.
"that looks legit"

03 4WD Astro 6" lift NP233 4x4 t-case 245/75/16 ets trail master mud tires
95 AWD Safari money pit
99 AWD Safari crashed and crushed
97 Safari Cargo sold 447,000km
thegreenmachine
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: thegreenmachine has been a member for 10 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 10 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 10 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 10 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 10 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 10 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 10 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 10 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 10 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 62
Alias (AKA): Shane a lane
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: Lifted 4x4 233 tcase

Postby redfury » September 3rd 2013, 3:16am

thegreenmachine wrote:stick it up top, this will help a lot of people. even though doing this probably takes the same time as dropping the tank. but, next time, its an easy fix.

I don't know why more manufacturers don't put an access to the pump under the carpet anyway ( probably the bean counters ). Our 05 Santa Fe has one!
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full years

Postby chevymaher » September 3rd 2013, 11:10am

redfury wrote:
I don't know why more manufacturers don't put an access to the pump under the carpet anyway ( probably the bean counters ). Our 05 Santa Fe has one!

Or say inline somewhere. But like anything the computer generation designs. It is as user unfriendly as they can make it.
It is all about how to make more money. Not how to make a better product.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby mchevalier » September 5th 2013, 1:30am

I did the floor cut out on a 94 RWD cargo and it was in the same place as shown in the pictures here. I took pictures of the 94 and am about to do it on an '01. From what I can see the '01 is in the same place and the floor sheet metal is the same.
mchevalier
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: mchevalier has been a member for 6 full yearsmchevalier has been a member for 6 full yearsmchevalier has been a member for 6 full yearsmchevalier has been a member for 6 full yearsmchevalier has been a member for 6 full yearsmchevalier has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 1
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2WD cargo

Postby astroman97 » September 5th 2013, 1:44am

awesome thread agree this should be a sticky...two questions what did you use as the access door looks cool and can this be done to a passenger van or would you have to cut out the seat mounts?
astroman97
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: astroman97 has been a member for 8 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 8 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 8 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 8 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 8 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 8 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 8 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 78
Extra Info: Also 97 both 2wd

Postby 97cargocrawler [OP] » September 5th 2013, 1:55am

astroman97 wrote:awesome thread agree this should be a sticky...two questions what did you use as the access door looks cool:

If you would like to install a hatch door like this they are available from McMasterCarr p/n: 8143A14 $32.10

...and can this be done to a passenger van or would you have to cut out the seat mounts?

This door and cutout should not interfere or overlap with the seat mounts in a passenger van.

Original Poster [OP]
97cargocrawler
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby mchevalier » September 6th 2013, 3:03am

I did the cut out on my '01 RWD cargo today and the pump was in the same place. No additional sheet metal on mine. I cut it a little bigger and riveted and caulked a flange to the cut out peice so it would fit back over the hole. The access panel door is nice but I won't need to get in there every day.
To cut the hole I removed the 2 bolts on the drivers side that hold the tank. I was able to lower it 3/4 inch without disconecting anything. I cut through from inside with the tank in place being very careful not to cut too deep. I used a 4" grider with a cut off wheel. From the inside I could see the spot welds so knew where to cut.
Halon fire bottle nearby. Pump is noisy and sender unit flaky.
Attachments
floorcut.jpg
mchevalier
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: mchevalier has been a member for 6 full yearsmchevalier has been a member for 6 full yearsmchevalier has been a member for 6 full yearsmchevalier has been a member for 6 full yearsmchevalier has been a member for 6 full yearsmchevalier has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 1
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2WD cargo

Postby redfury » December 2nd 2013, 10:14pm

I'm getting ready to replace the pump on my van now as it's finally died. Debating on doing this since pulling out both seats, the mounting hardware, and more importantly, getting the carpet out of the way might be a bigger task than dropping the tank ( which is fortunately at about 1/4th tank anyway ). I have plastic panels on the top and bottom of my tank from what I see...that armored plating Crawler has makes me wonder what the need for it was originally, since your Cargo doesn't have it. My thought was it was put on the cargo vans as protection from damage from contents in the cargo area, but this theory seems to be debunked by your van. I can see the spot where the seat mounts would be on a passenger van in your picture though, it helps locate the hole.

IF I end up tackling this through the top, I will be using a Rockwell sonic crafter with metal bits on it to cut through, that way I can be more delicate ( and have yet another reason for owning this tool which I highly recommend to anyone that feels the need to splurge on a handy new tool )
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby redfury » December 16th 2013, 11:01pm

Update...the 98 passenger van has the damn kappa shell on the top of the tank as well......looks like I get to drop the tank at least enough to get mine off as well. Not what I was hoping for in an outdoor December project in MN.
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby Herman Wiegman » December 17th 2013, 1:11am

Great photos, and damn nice workmanship.

On my 1999 2WD I also had to change the flexible fuel lines, and so opted to drop the tank due to access to the other end of the flexible lines.
Oh.. and my van had a rusted/leaky rear brake line which runs along side the gas tank, so dropping the tank was best to address my van's issues.
Well, actually, I should have shot my van dead a long time ago, but I'm just too weak hearted to do that.

Herminator
Herminator, Niskayuna, NY.......1999 Safari 4.3L SLE (RWD)
Eaton Gov Lok LSD 3.23:1.........Timbren bump stops
Monster 4L60E rebuild ..............Electric fan & FelPro gaskets
Herman Wiegman
Years of Membership: Herman Wiegman has been a member for 7 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 7 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 7 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 7 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 7 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 7 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA): Herminator
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: 4.3L RWD

Postby markmitch » December 17th 2013, 1:34am

Good write up but just to add to this: some vans came with a long set of wires that are approximately 6 feet long and not sure what years but on my van the wires prevented me from getting the pump housing out. So if you do this mod you may wish to cut the wires and install another 4 way plug from a salvage vehicle. I did this to make it easier next time.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 580
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby weather » December 24th 2016, 6:20pm

Trouble locating the pump in my 2003. It's different in the 03-05s, no???
You did not evolve! censored-science.org
weather
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: weather has been a member for 6 full yearsweather has been a member for 6 full yearsweather has been a member for 6 full yearsweather has been a member for 6 full yearsweather has been a member for 6 full yearsweather has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA): weather
Extra Info: Astro LT RWD

Postby 2Sheds_Jackson » December 22nd 2017, 11:34pm

...just wanted to chime in that I followed the measurements/parts recommendations in this thread, and my 2000 Cargo caught fire and exploded. No actually, it worked perfectly. Thanks very much to the OPs for taking the time to post it up.

A couple 'o observations:
-my van did not have the protective plate above the tank
-the top of the tank was REALLY close to the floor of the van. Extreme care is called for.
-the top of the tank was so close that I had to use the sawzall to cut the flange on the new hatch by about half. Otherwise, the hatch would have been resting on the tank, not the floor of the van.
-the pump locking ring was corroded onto the tabs pretty badly...had to pry the tabs up a bit with a screwdriver and apply some extreme violence to get it loose

To backfill a bit on my fuel pump failure - van has 330k on it now - as far as know, this is the original pump. It had worked fine until it stranded me twice last week on a trip back from Dallas. Thankfully, it would run again after sitting for 30-40 minutes. After replacing it - my gas gauge finally works (!) that crapped out at like 220k. And my hard starting issue,which the van has always had, has gone away. After the van would sit a few hours..the next time it was started it would need to crank for like 5 seconds...sometimes 2 or 3 attempts. Now, vooom...starts right up. So needless to say, I'm very happy. The risk of death by showering my gas tank with sparks was well worth it...fixed 3 problems at once!!
2Sheds_Jackson
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: 2Sheds_Jackson has been a member for 10 full years2Sheds_Jackson has been a member for 10 full years2Sheds_Jackson has been a member for 10 full years2Sheds_Jackson has been a member for 10 full years2Sheds_Jackson has been a member for 10 full years2Sheds_Jackson has been a member for 10 full years2Sheds_Jackson has been a member for 10 full years2Sheds_Jackson has been a member for 10 full years2Sheds_Jackson has been a member for 10 full years2Sheds_Jackson has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): 2Sheds
Extra Info: 2000 2WD cargo

Next