Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

TAIL LIGHTS/TEMP CONTROL LIGHTS/INSTRUMENT CLUSTER LIGHTS

9K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  TontoYoder 
#1 ·
Okay guys, I've just found this site. Wish I'd found it a year ago! Looking for help and to help if I can.

Problem is: I have turn signals, brake lights and headlights. I don't have tail lights, instrument lights, and temp control lighting. Also, my overhead console, odometer and radio dim unless I use the dome override.

Fuses are good, headlight switch is good. (I tested this by swapping in a new switch at Autozone before buying it and nothing changed)

I'm at my wits end with this. Anybody got a clue as to what is wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Brad
:confused: :banghead:

#4 ·
1. Check the fuses under the dash.
2. The 2000 and up models have a sensor in the right side of the defroster grille on top of the dash (see little bump) that automatically turns on the lights when it gets dark. Do you have anything laying on top of it? A quick test is to rotate the IP brightness control next to the head light switch to see if it changes the brightness of the overhead console display.

If none of these apply then you have some trouble shooting to do. We'll be here to help.

#5 ·
thanks for the info. Tomorrow I'm gonna go through all the fuses again and check all the bulbs. I know the sensor you are talking about, nothing is covering it. The dimmer is turned all the way up and turns on the dome when it reaches the top as it should. Could this be a relay somewhere?

#6 ·
FINALLY!!! Decided to take another look through the fuses. Turns out that fuse #9 in the under dash fuse box READS parking lights. It was blown and also operates all the lights I was having problems with. (tail lights, instrument lights, radio/overhead console, temp control) I found all this out by going through the fuse box again while reading the manual. Now all I have to do is get the cat. conv. changed and get smog tested!

Thanks to those who replied.
Brad

:doh:

#8 ·
Funny you should mention that. The house I moved into has a steep driveway. The first few times pulling into the garage basically tore apart my trailer wiring. That has also now been repaired and I have learned to go in at an angle when I do pull into the garage, which is not very often.

Thanks,
Brad

#9 ·
Hi, Similar problem on my 2001. Those same lights go out when nighttime arrives. The IP and other interior lights work fine when the ignition switch is in the accessory position, or when there is daylight. This has been intermittent, but is now a big problem. Starting to get battery drain issues, and low idle now (idle due to low voltage ???)

#12 ·
Belated thanks for this thread (even if it IS old). I got a sheriff's warning for a headlight I knew about and a tail light that was news to me.
Installing headlight bulb went fine, but the new tail light bulb gave me problems like described by OP. No tail lights, no gauges & no warning that lights are still on.
Replaced fuse #9 above brake pedal and all seems right again.
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.