? on rear hatch and lack of light switch

? on rear hatch and lack of light switch

Postby CoolCat4Christ [OP] » November 18th 2013, 8:36pm

Hello folks,
I'm thinking of adding a switch to the rear hatch, being that there is no switch, to turn on interior lights when rear hatch is open. I just need clarification on how the switches work. By looking at some of the schematics posted seems like the door switches are used to send a signal to the BCM to control the interior lights?????? I was gonna use a reed switch to control the lights once the rear hatch is open by tapping one of the existing door switches. The reed switch I have is off a refrigerator used to control the 12v portion of the main PCB. The reed switch has no current rating on it and I know the contacts are supper tiny.I don't want to install it, have the contacts fuse together or all together vaporize. Thinking of using reed switch 'cause i don't want to drill into the body to add a switch.
this is the reed switch
17553ImageImage
"If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
Original Poster [OP]
CoolCat4Christ
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: CoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 8
Location: Born In East L.A. Currently residing somewhere in the San Gabriel Valley of Southern California
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS 4.3l RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Rear hatch lock switch
    by Rinny » May 5th 2020, 1:43am in Electrical
    5 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    July 8th 2020, 5:19am
  • Rear wiper switch button
    by Olivier02 » October 11th 2020, 8:34pm in Electrical
    5 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    October 27th 2020, 6:45pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 31st 2020, 5:23pm

Re: ? on rear hatch and lack of light switch

Postby DRZ » November 18th 2013, 9:14pm

My '03 LT Astro with the Dutch door doesn't have a switch to turn on the light either BUT on my 2000 the switch is in one of the hatch struts with two wire leads coming out of it. Seems like the easiest plan is to buy the correct 2000 strut with the switch in it and you will have that solved and a spare strut as well.
DRZ
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: DRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): HPbyStan
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: awd cargo Alloys

Re: ? on rear hatch and lack of light switch

Postby CoolCat4Christ [OP] » November 19th 2013, 1:52am

Hey DRZ,
Thanks for the reply.
I have strut switches from a '95 I put out to pasture. Wish I could've took more parts off it but.... oh well. I just did not want to drill out the hole for it. I was gonna mount the reed switch and put a magnet on the hatch to activate the switch and be done with it. If the door switches are used to signal the BCM then i'm guessing it's possible to use the reed since it probably won't be pulling much current.
17553ImageImage
"If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
Original Poster [OP]
CoolCat4Christ
Years of Membership: CoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 8
Location: Born In East L.A. Currently residing somewhere in the San Gabriel Valley of Southern California
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3l RWD