Overhead console Installation

Overhead console Installation

Postby RenegadeC [OP] » July 11th 2009, 3:09am

Just a quick question before I return to the boneyard tomorrow. I pulled the overhead console with the display in it (yes, grabbed the brackets too!), installing it in a 2000 Astro cargo model. Haven't opened the headliner yet to look but should I grab the wiring harness too from the donor van? :banana:

Any other items I should grab while I'm there? :dunce:
Original Poster [OP]
RenegadeC
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: RenegadeC has been a member for 11 full yearsRenegadeC has been a member for 11 full yearsRenegadeC has been a member for 11 full yearsRenegadeC has been a member for 11 full yearsRenegadeC has been a member for 11 full yearsRenegadeC has been a member for 11 full yearsRenegadeC has been a member for 11 full yearsRenegadeC has been a member for 11 full yearsRenegadeC has been a member for 11 full yearsRenegadeC has been a member for 11 full yearsRenegadeC has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Overhead readout, and climate control lights not working
    by SteveWars » April 4th 2021, 3:37am in Electrical
    1 Replies
    Last post by dchan51360 View the latest post
    April 5th 2021, 5:14am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 18th 2021, 4:06am

Re: Overhead console Installation

Postby 'cudapaul » July 11th 2009, 5:37am

yes, Yes, YES!!!!! Get the wiring harness.

It will run from the O/H Console to the drivers door pillar, to the floor, to the front/behind under the emergency brake mechanism, to the convienence panel (nex to the fuse panel) where several plugs are attached. I believe that it is a 9 pin connector.

It's a little bit of work but definitely worth the trouble.
'cudapaul
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years
Alias (AKA): 'cudapaul
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby RenegadeC [OP] » July 11th 2009, 6:25am

Thanks! That's the kind of advice I'm looking for since I don't know the van well yet. And I'm going to snatch the headliner (hole pattern) and lighted four way vanity visors.. Anything else of use I should pull out? :feedback:
Original Poster [OP]
RenegadeC
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: RenegadeC has been a member for 11 full yearsRenegadeC has been a member for 11 full yearsRenegadeC has been a member for 11 full yearsRenegadeC has been a member for 11 full yearsRenegadeC has been a member for 11 full yearsRenegadeC has been a member for 11 full yearsRenegadeC has been a member for 11 full yearsRenegadeC has been a member for 11 full yearsRenegadeC has been a member for 11 full yearsRenegadeC has been a member for 11 full yearsRenegadeC has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby 'cudapaul » July 11th 2009, 6:51am

Does your cargo have a tilt steering column? They are easy to change out, even the ignition key assembly.
You can add the cruise module later, or grab it from the donor.

Also the drawer under the passenger seat?
Any other cosmetics, carpet, door panels, remote mirrors, etc.?
'cudapaul
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: 'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years

Postby RenegadeC [OP] » July 11th 2009, 2:52pm

I already grabbed the tilt column with the tow/haul switch (which mine had) and the cruise button (which it didn't) and had a locksmith pop the old lock for me. I also grabbed the cruise module off the donor and four others (just in case since Murphy likes to cause me grief). The drawer I wasn't aware of but I am now, thanks!

I have a set of power mirrors snagged on a previous visit and a power seat base for the driver's seat. A bit down the road will be power windows and locks (factory) which I have no doubt will be great fun as I seem to recall the parts being riveted in?

:ty:
Original Poster [OP]
RenegadeC
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby RenegadeC [OP] » July 12th 2009, 4:32am

Okay, grabbed the full side harness out of the donor, I'll cut it down and extract the harness I need. Got a pair of the underseat drawers, a factory rear mat for the cargo box and the full harness for the vanity mirrors. Thanks for the advice! :ty:
Original Poster [OP]
RenegadeC
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby 'cudapaul » July 12th 2009, 4:49am

You can only use a drawer under the passenger seat becuase the driver's seat has the air bag controller under it. It's the lump under the carpet.
'cudapaul
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby RenegadeC [OP] » July 12th 2009, 4:53am

Actually I'm going to snag one more now and use them in the back under the parts bin for storage. I hadn't considered the airbag controller on the driver's seat though. Darn.
Original Poster [OP]
RenegadeC
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):