Which Starter Can I Get Off Other Vehicles That Fit My Astro

Which Starter Can I Get Off Other Vehicles That Fit My Astro

Postby 93pressurewasher [OP] » July 20th 2009, 7:08pm

Alright im going to the salvage yard where you pull off the parts yourself and the parts are really cheap. I have a 93 Astro and i was trying to figure out what other vehicles have the same starter on them if they dont have any Astro Vans to pull it off :confused: . I plan on getting like two starters.
Original Poster [OP]
93pressurewasher
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: 93pressurewasher has been a member for 11 full years93pressurewasher has been a member for 11 full years93pressurewasher has been a member for 11 full years93pressurewasher has been a member for 11 full years93pressurewasher has been a member for 11 full years93pressurewasher has been a member for 11 full years93pressurewasher has been a member for 11 full years93pressurewasher has been a member for 11 full years93pressurewasher has been a member for 11 full years93pressurewasher has been a member for 11 full years93pressurewasher has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA): AstroVanRider
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3V6 Non Vortec

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Which Starter Can I Get Off Other Vehicles That Fit My Astro

Postby Mr_Bowtie » July 20th 2009, 10:33pm

I found this quick online. Looks like a lot of year V8's & 4.3L have the same starter. I would think a 5.7L motor would have the same starter, but its not included on the list I found? :shrug:
(1996-91) Chevrolet Astro, Blazer 4.3L
(1996-90) Chevrolet C, K Series Pickup 4.3L, 5.0L
(1996-91) Chevrolet, GMC G Series Van 4.3L, 5.0L
(1995-90) Chevrolet S, T Series Pickup 4.3L
(1996-91) GMC Jimmy, Safari 4.3L
(1996-90) GMC Sierra 4.3L, 5.0L
(1995-90) GMC Sonoma 4.3L
1985 Astro - 350/700r4....loud & low! :chevy:
'96 Dodge 2500 Ramwagon Van
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
'00 Subaru Outback Legacy sedan
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 1985
Extra Info: 350 with 700r4

Re: Which Starter Can I Get Off Other Vehicles That Fit My Astro

Postby GaryZ » July 21st 2009, 12:20am

The starter usually found on the 4.3 V6 and most small-block V8's is a four-part device.

The motor itself rarely fails, although it can wear out brushes and then damage the armature.
Symptom of bad brushes = Turn your key and all the dash lights come on like normal,
but the starter doesn't do anything or make a sound
(see notes below on cables)

The solenoid (or relay) sits on top of the starter motor. The solenoid's job is to make a connection between the battery and the motor that can handle very high current. A small wire from the ignition switch puts 12V on the solenoid "S" terminal. The relay pulls a bar that bridges a gap between the battery cable and the starter motor.
Symptom of bad solenoid = Turn your key and all you get is a click or nothing (see notes below on cables).

Inside of the starter snout is a complex little device called the starter drive. The starter drive pushes a little gear out when the motor is turning. This gear engages the flywheel or flex plate and the starter assembly turns your engine over.
Symptom of a bad drive = Turn your key and you hear a "zing".
The little gear is not engaging the flex plate properly.
Of course the engine does not turn over.

The most common failure for these starters will be bad cables or, usually, bad cable connections.
Symptom of battery cable problem = Turn your key to "start", the dash lights dim, and your engine does not turn over.
Symptom of a bad battery = Turn your key to "start", the dash lights dim, and your engine does not turn over.
The voltmeter on your dash will tell you which one above is at fault. A bad battery will drop below 9V when you turn the key to start.

The second most common failure for these starters will be a worn out drive. The bad news is that most people do not know that a drive kit has been available for decades and few bought it. Now the main auto parts stores are not carrying them! Napa may still carry the part. To replace the drive; Remove the starter. Remove the starter "snout". A simple clip ring retains the drive. Replace the starter drive. Replace the motor brushes while the thing is apart.

Replacing the whole starter assembly will many times lead to alignment issues. That is why shims are included in the box with the new starter. If you are determined to replace to whole thing, it might make things go easier if you swap the starter "snout" from your original starter to the new one . . .
'98 Astro AWD, white with gray interior,
3.42:1 diffs, 235/70 x 15 tires,
195,000 miles on original engine and trans
'99 Kawasaki ZX11D
'85 Yamaha Venture Royale with 1300 engine & Vmax cams
GaryZ
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: GaryZ has been a member for 11 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 11 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 11 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 11 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 11 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 11 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 11 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 11 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 11 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 11 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD