battery problems

battery problems

Postby sam74 [OP] » December 18th 2013, 3:05am

Hello,

Thought I'd see if anyone had a similar experience. Sorry, might be a little long winded. I did some research so I will likely get the response someone else did being bad connection, bad battery, or I think it was bad alternator or short. But I'll see. I think it has a short maybe from the tow electrical connection.

Bought my van about a year ago from Minnesota to drive in North Dakota. It had a 900 CCA battery in it, no idea how old, no luck getting it out earlier in the year when my fuel pump went out (it is kind of big). BTW thanks for everyone's advice last jan-feb when replacing the fuel pump.' Then the van sat for a week while I tried to crank it up daily in cold weather to no avail. Had it towed to my garage in Williston and proceeded to change the fuel pump and filter by myself. Fuel pump was easy with the exception of the fuel line connections. The fuel filter was more difficult and me and by buddy had to remove the fuel line to get leverage to crack it loose and he helped me get the fuel tank hoisted back in place.

But anyway the van sat for a month in the garage unstarted after cranking daily for a week after the fuel pump crashed. After this period the van just started with no jump or charge. I thought that was amazing.

Ended up back in Tenn. In June where I alternated driving the van with my truck on a weekly or so basis no problem. I then decided to see if the van would light up my trailer/boat for hauling before I flew to ND again. Van sat for three or so weeks in warm Tenn. weather and find out the van won't crank without a jump. Drove the van back to ND this month. If I start it daily no problems. IF I don't start it for two days it drains. Jumps rather easily run for an hour and it will start back up. Dead in two days. I tried to have it checked in Tenn. during an oil change and the read out was that the battery was not charged full enough to get a positive reading. AS stated before for some reason I think there is a short from me messing with the trailer connection.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
sam74
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: sam74 has been a member for 8 full yearssam74 has been a member for 8 full yearssam74 has been a member for 8 full yearssam74 has been a member for 8 full yearssam74 has been a member for 8 full yearssam74 has been a member for 8 full yearssam74 has been a member for 8 full yearssam74 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA): Steve
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Brand new napa legend battery sat for 3 yrs?
    by dave1950 » October 5th 2020, 1:03am in Electrical
    17 Replies
    Last post by N6KB View the latest post
    October 5th 2020, 10:40pm
  • Battery draining with the ignition off
    by JimmyUp » November 22nd 2020, 4:44pm in Electrical
    10 Replies
    Last post by Big_kid View the latest post
    November 24th 2020, 4:02am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 27th 2021, 10:52pm

Re: battery problems

Postby Jasen » December 18th 2013, 3:16am

sounds like a power drain, could be a dead short, dome light, glove box light, brake light staying on.
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby RECox286 » December 18th 2013, 3:43am

Pull all the fuses not required to run the engine. See what happens to the battery.

If the battery continues to degrade over the course of a day then, You should also be

thinking in terms of a battery "stress test" that some LAPS are now offering. (it helps

to sell parts, basically and costs virtually nothing to perform the service)

If the battery stays up where is should, with the fuses out, simply start putting them

back, one at a time, until the bad circuit is identified.

Good hunting

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby sam74 [OP] » December 18th 2013, 4:52am

Thanks for the advice, love the forum and input,

I'm not overly and probably underly electrically minded. Can you further explain pulling the fuses I don't need that I should pull. I probably have not pulled many if any fuses in my life and certainly none on this van. I do have a hanes manual if that helps. If you can explain which locations and what fuses that would be great otherwise I'll just keep my jumpers handy at the moment. Maybe a previous thread I can reference?

Otherwise love the van and its reliability. Made it back to Tenn (1600 miles) and back again (another 1600 miles) with no problems and very little previous history known to me. I think it was a dealers van originally then bought by a MDOT related person as a drive to work and hockey game van before letting a younger relative drive it for an unspecified period of time. 2003 with 155,ooo miles or so.

Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
sam74
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: sam74 has been a member for 8 full yearssam74 has been a member for 8 full yearssam74 has been a member for 8 full yearssam74 has been a member for 8 full yearssam74 has been a member for 8 full yearssam74 has been a member for 8 full yearssam74 has been a member for 8 full yearssam74 has been a member for 8 full years

Postby snapper388 » December 18th 2013, 6:24am

I would have the battery tested first to make sure youre working with a good battery. you also need to make sure its fully charged. if the battery is good and charged and it still drains the battery disconnect one of your battery cables and connect a test light between the cable and battery .if you have a drain the light will light up. pull one fuse at a time, when the light goes out you found the bad circuit. pull the radio fuse first and leave it out, the memory on the radio could cause the light to stay on. try to keep youre battery charged a hard freeze can ruin a dead battery. good luck
snapper388
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: snapper388 has been a member for 7 full yearssnapper388 has been a member for 7 full yearssnapper388 has been a member for 7 full yearssnapper388 has been a member for 7 full yearssnapper388 has been a member for 7 full yearssnapper388 has been a member for 7 full yearssnapper388 has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 4.3 Mark III 2wd

Postby vagabond » December 18th 2013, 7:16am

Put a meter across your battery terminals and check for voltage draw and put fusses one at a time to see if the voltage draw drops until you find the offending circuit.
vagabond
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: vagabond has been a member for 7 full yearsvagabond has been a member for 7 full yearsvagabond has been a member for 7 full yearsvagabond has been a member for 7 full yearsvagabond has been a member for 7 full yearsvagabond has been a member for 7 full yearsvagabond has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA): Vagabond
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: LT4.3 V6 RWD

Postby Big_kid » December 18th 2013, 3:19pm

Sounds like a dead cell to me.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby sam74 [OP] » December 19th 2013, 4:06am

Thanks for the advice. I'll get some time off after Friday and I'll try and take a look at it.
Original Poster [OP]
sam74
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)