Adding two stereo amplifiers need recommendation for new alt

Adding two stereo amplifiers need recommendation for new alt

Postby Safari_Rich [OP] » January 17th 2014, 4:08pm

I have a 2003 Safari RWD SLE. It has an AC compressor in the back and I am told the stock alt is 240 amps. I have done the big three upgrade and installed a Yellow Top Optima battery. The two amps total 2000 watts but are D class amps which should not draw too much. I guess my first question is: Do you think I need to upgrade ? The only problem I could foresee is driving with the amps cranked up and all the AC units blasting which is probable four months out of the year where I live in the NE. I was looking at the 320 amp Delco Remy Alternator. So the 2nd question is this a good alternator and how do I find out if it fits ? I guess you can tell I am not a mechanic.. Thanks
>
rich
Original Poster [OP]
Safari_Rich
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: Safari_Rich has been a member for 6 full yearsSafari_Rich has been a member for 6 full yearsSafari_Rich has been a member for 6 full yearsSafari_Rich has been a member for 6 full yearsSafari_Rich has been a member for 6 full yearsSafari_Rich has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA): Safari_Rich
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Adding two stereo amplifiers need recommendation for new

Postby 97cargocrawler » January 17th 2014, 5:15pm

No way in hell is the stock alt 240 amps. Maybe more like 105 or something. AC compressor in the back? Like some aftermarket electronic thing? If it's stock rear AC then I wouldn't factor in the AC at all. The only thing powered off electricity for a stock AC system is the blower fans.

I'd say upgrade since stock alternators are only designed to power what comes from the factory. It wasn't designed to power anything you add on later.

I bought my 300A unit from http://www.dcpowerinc.com They are expensive as hell. Mine was like $500 and those guys are in no hurry whatseover to build and ship it. I waited like two months but it looks nice and so far it works great. Bolted right up without issues.
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Safari_Rich [OP] » January 17th 2014, 7:35pm

A friend who works in a car parts store looked it up for me... Sounds like I should 2x check what I have in there. No everything is stock, nothing after market... Maybe he said blower and not compressor.., but he did say 240 amp. So you are saying the stock 2003 is a 105amp ? How do I check this? I went to that site.. The only alt I saw that fit my van ( according to their drop down menu for make and year) was the
300 Amp SPX High Output Alternator and it was 650.00 ! Too much money for me... A mechanic friend of mine said to get a Delco rebuilt because its the same warrantee as the new ones but cheaper. I have yet to find a good source of looking up information about what is actually in my van. Its a little frustrating. Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
Safari_Rich
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: Safari_Rich has been a member for 6 full yearsSafari_Rich has been a member for 6 full yearsSafari_Rich has been a member for 6 full yearsSafari_Rich has been a member for 6 full yearsSafari_Rich has been a member for 6 full yearsSafari_Rich has been a member for 6 full years

Postby 97cargocrawler » January 17th 2014, 7:52pm

Yeah, I guess their prices went up a bit.

You probably have a DELCO SERIES AD230, TYPE 100 which is 105Amps. I doubt any vehicle aside from commercial trucks come with something as large as 240A stock.

Go to http://www.gmpartsgiant.com and type in your VIN#. It will tell you the "generators" available as stock for your van. You may have to copy and paste the parts info into google to see the exact specs.

I looked up 2003 Astro AWD and it gave me DELCO SERIES AD230. The 230 is not the amp rating.

If you have stock rear AC then the only electronic part is the blower motor. Its almost negligible as far as amp draw is concerned.

I think you will be hard pressed to find an alternator close to 300A for less than $300-$400, rebuilt or not. High output alternators are expensive.
97cargocrawler
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years

Postby Safari_Rich [OP] » January 17th 2014, 8:28pm

Ok thanks.. I am missing the part about getting an alternator that is more heavy duty than stock. When I type in my van all I get is a replacement for what I have. If 105 amps is what I have then I guess I will be looking for a 160 amp Delco... Should I ask the Sales parts department to look it up ? So in my 2002 Safari there was a storage compartment in the back on the drivers side. This is a photo of the 2003.. Looks like an intake for the back AC. There is a cigarette lighter module on the bottom of it.. Strange

Original Poster [OP]
Safari_Rich
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)

Postby 97cargocrawler » January 17th 2014, 9:26pm

The gmpartsgiant link I provided will only tell you exactly what parts your van has in stock configuration. It allows you to identify and potentially order replacement parts from a dealership. It will sometimes have part number for "upfitter" equipment, which typically applies to trim level packages. Say if you bought a base model, it will list everything from the base model up to the top tier trim parts. Anything aftermarket you will need to shop elsewhere.

There is probably a large variety of alternators that will bolt right up to the stock bracket. However, pulley size, connector type and internal/external regulation might differ from what you have. In which case the alternator might bolt up but you will have no way to plug it in without modification to the wiring harness. Make sure whatever alternator you purchase is specifically made for an Astro van, or at least be able to somehow verify the connectors are equivalent.

There's a lot of audiophiles on this site so my guess is there must also be a lot of upgraded alternator threads.

I wouldn't worry about factoring in the AC blower. If you ask for a heavy duty alternator for an Astro van at a local autoparts dealer...they will most likely sell you another 105A unit. You will need to do some homework to see what will fit from another vehicle, or buy a custom job like I did. A dealership may be able to suggest something....if they want to waste their time with you. Seems they are "gimmie yer money and git" as opposed to .... "yeah let me help you modify your van."
97cargocrawler

Postby Safari_Rich [OP] » January 18th 2014, 1:35am

Ok thanks for taking the time to explain to me.... I had no idea. I wonder if JC Whitney could help out..? Trying to think of places that are service oriented... rare but they do exist. Now I know it's not as easy as upgrading windshield wipers. lol I will try some more searches.. Thanks again ! Will report back when I upgrade...
Original Poster [OP]
Safari_Rich
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)

Postby Jasen » January 18th 2014, 2:21am

I run a 1k mono D and a 4x600 off the stock 105 alt. it's holding up just fine after 2 years and I pound it a lot to get through the evening commute w/o pushing some asshat into a light pole.

Stock alts are 95 and 105
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby CoolCat4Christ » January 18th 2014, 3:32am

Safari_Rich,
Here's some info here if you are the reading type. You may or may not be familiar with the site since the link has been posted in other topics. http://www.bcae1.com/defhome.htm
17553ImageImage
"If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
CoolCat4Christ
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: CoolCat4Christ has been a member for 6 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 6 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 6 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 6 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 6 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 8
Location: Born In East L.A. Currently residing somewhere in the San Gabriel Valley of Southern California
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3l RWD

Postby Safari_Rich [OP] » January 19th 2014, 7:21am

Ok great thanks.... That really helps to know Jasen... At this point I was just guessing.. With the Optima and big 3 upgrade I think I will be ok.. When the stock one goes then at least I will know what to upgrade to. Also thanks for the link.. good read. Also I did figure out there was another thread here on alts. I find the search on the forum is not great. Using Google direct is much better, in this case typing the following into Google. site: astrosafari.com - alternator
Brings up just what you want to read.. Thanks!!
Original Poster [OP]
Safari_Rich
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)

Postby JaxSPL » January 19th 2014, 3:10pm

Napa does sell a 140amp Powermaster alternator and wiring upgrade. Not sure on the price right now. You can also get a motorcityreman alternator, but it's usually not recommended for high powered stereos. I've been running a 200amp alternator from him, since 2008, with no problems.
I would get rid of the Optima batteriy(ies). I've had bad experiences with them. Actually had a hole the size of a quarter melted through the bottom corner, on the positive side of the battery.

There are a few alternator companies that are very good. One was mentioned earlier (DC). The others are mechman, Stinger, XS power. Now let's go into a little formula to see what you need

2000w RMS output / 0.8 (80% efficient amp (class D)) = 2500w input
That means you need 2500 watts of input power to produce the full 2000w RMS output.
2500w / 14.4V (running voltage of car) = 173.61A
So to fully power your amp you would need 173.61 amperes. You probably wont find an alternator with that rating on it, so round it up to 175 or 180 (I'd go to 200 actually, the more the merrier). I'd also add at least 1 more battery to the mix, do the big 3 upgrade, and you should be in good shape.
"Installer's Nightmare" has officially come to life. Only 1 sub, but loud and clear.
Subwoofer enclosure designer. PM For More Info
JaxSPL
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: JaxSPL has been a member for 10 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 10 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 10 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 10 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 10 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 10 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 10 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 10 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 10 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 45
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 SPL

Postby markmitch » January 19th 2014, 4:32pm

dont forget ear plugs so you don't go deaf before age 30. bass=the most damaging sound to the human ear.
former DJ half deaf now=Mark
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 599
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby Safari_Rich [OP] » January 24th 2014, 3:22pm

Thats. Strange.. I replied to this but I don't see my reply now.. Anyway. Thanks so much JaxSPL for going above and beyond helping out ! In regard to ear plugs.. I hope this will be a SQ system and not a SPL but I guess you don't know till you get there. I was just guessing that I might need a 200 amp alt. Great there there is a formula and greater yet that you helped me with the math. Its not going to be easy for me to figure out what fits. Why not get the motorcityreman 200 amp one that you have ? Did you have to do any modifications to install it ? Belts etc ? I know a 2nd battery would be ideal but its not going to happen. There is not room under the hood and I am not going to give up any cargo space for it. I just called motorcityreman... they have one for 175.00. Sounds like I am done here.. What do you think ? thanks!!
Original Poster [OP]
Safari_Rich
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)