Battery for 96 Astro

Battery for 96 Astro

Postby PaulDavidson [OP] » May 13th 2014, 5:06pm

Please help....this is bugging me!

What battery would you recommend?.......until 2 months ago, i had ( if i remember rightly ) a 'US-24TMX American Deep Cycle 85ah ' but then all power was going, and wouldn't start, or retain the charge. A foot well light was the culprit, but before i knew, a garage recommended a ' Optima yellow top YTU 4.2' ....it's never been the same since.

I turn the ignition and after a cough and a struggle, it dies.....turn the key again with a few helping revs and i'm away all fine............i never had this issue with the American battery...turned over lovely and purred with no hint of cutting out.

All because i didn't locate the little light draining my battery, i had a little work done and a new battery and it's bugging the life out of me every time i come to put the key in..........affecting my dream motor :)

Any suggestions and advice will be GREATLY appreciated........thanks

Paul
Original Poster [OP]
PaulDavidson
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: PaulDavidson has been a member for 6 full yearsPaulDavidson has been a member for 6 full yearsPaulDavidson has been a member for 6 full yearsPaulDavidson has been a member for 6 full yearsPaulDavidson has been a member for 6 full yearsPaulDavidson has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): PaulDavidson
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Strange clicking under dash, dead battery
    by cathairez » February 29th 2020, 10:02pm in Electrical
    8 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    March 2nd 2020, 10:01pm
  • Battery tray rusted out
    by disloyalpick » March 14th 2020, 2:29am in Electrical
    7 Replies
    Last post by disloyalpick View the latest post
    March 14th 2020, 8:56pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    August 13th 2020, 1:18pm

Re: Battery for 96 Astro

Postby SilverBullet1997 » May 13th 2014, 5:14pm

Exchange the optima, it should not be doing that, I have a yellow top in my van, never have issues with it. Tell them it is a bad battery and they need to exchange it out.
R.I.P.-1997 Astro AWD SilverBullet I 4-9-1997 to 2-17-2015 - Cause of death: Rear-ended
R.I.P.-1999 Astro AWD SilverBullet II 1-4-1999 - July-2016 - Cause of death: Roadrash passenger side

Current: 1999 Astro AWD GreenBullet I - Purchased 02/2018
SilverBullet1997
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: SilverBullet1997 has been a member for 7 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 7 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 7 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 7 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 7 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 7 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 54
Alias (AKA): Silver or Bullet or SB
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: 7in Lift AWD Z71

Postby Sailing_Faith » May 13th 2014, 5:18pm

I am not a fan of Optima batteries, many bad experiences with them in boats... Bt I doubt that it would cause the hard start you describe.

Check / clean your connections, physically remove them and clean them... You might also consider visiting your ground connection separately.... Iirc there is a thread somewhere here on the "big 3" that addresses some of the common ground problems n the vans.

Good luck!
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Sailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 56
Alias (AKA): s/v Faith
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3l RWD G80

Postby PaulDavidson [OP] » May 13th 2014, 5:56pm

Some guy has just told me that a 'yellow top' is a leisure battery, and that i should be using a 'red top' Optima, as the red top is a start up battery?
Original Poster [OP]
PaulDavidson
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: PaulDavidson has been a member for 6 full yearsPaulDavidson has been a member for 6 full yearsPaulDavidson has been a member for 6 full yearsPaulDavidson has been a member for 6 full yearsPaulDavidson has been a member for 6 full yearsPaulDavidson has been a member for 6 full years

Postby SilverBullet1997 » May 13th 2014, 6:11pm

PaulDavidson wrote:Some guy has just told me that a 'yellow top' is a leisure battery, and that i should be using a 'red top' Optima, as the red top is a start up battery?

Redtops are for like heavy machinery/RV's... Yes they have more cranking power.... But I have had the same optima yellowtop in my van since 2007-08(not sure).. But the battery is like 6-7 years old, I have never ever had a problem with cranking, I have drained it a few times with my flashing lights, or my stereo, or by being an idiot and leaving the dome lights on over the weekend.....

The yellowtops have more than enough power to crank over an Astro Van. I prefer the Yellowtops, because they have more reserve power than the redtops.

But either would be sufficient .

This is taken from the Optima webpage describing the different styles.

Optima Webpage wrote:What is the difference between REDTOP®,YELLOWTOP® and BLUETOP® batteries?
REDTOP®: Use this for normal engine starting where an alternator immediately monitors the state of charge and provides energy to the battery whenever it is needed. This would describe most stock vehicles.
Automotive and RV underhood starting
Heavy equipment where starting is the primary function
Diesel-powered vehicles with no aftermarket electronics

YELLOWTOP®: Use this when electrical loads are higher than average, or when the discharge cycle is more than typical engine starting, such as vehicles without alternators. This also includes vehicles with significant electrical loads that may exceed the average alternator output (for example, aftermarket audio systems, GPS, chargers, winches, snowplows, inverters, drag cars). This can also include vehicles that have a lot of electronics from the factory, such as a minivan with power sliding doors and a DVD player, especially if the DVD player is used when the engine isn’t running.
Racing vehicles without a charging system (alternator or generator)
Dedicated drag-racing vehicles
Diesel-powered vehicles with aftermarket electronics
Car audio/video applications exceeding 250 watts over the OE system
Vehicles or heavy equipment with inverters, hydraulics, winches or other accessories
Electric vehicles

BLUETOP®: The BLUETOP® starting battery (dark gray case) is to be used when a dedicated starting battery is required; it should never be used for cycling duty. The dual-purpose BLUETOP® (light gray case) can be used for both starting and deep cycling; it is a true deep-cycle battery with extremely high cranking power.
Trolling motors, marine applications with heavy electrical accessories and RVs should use a dual-purpose BLUETOP® (which is both a starting and deep-cycle battery)
Use a BLUETOP® starting battery for marine applications and RVs when the battery’s only function is engine starting

Note: The difference between BLUETOP® and YELLOWTOP® deep-cycle batteries is that BLUETOP® batteries have both automotive (SAE) posts and threaded studs, while YELLOWTOP®S (other than D31T) only have SAE terminals.

If you ever get confused on the colored tops, just remember: if it has a dark gray case, then it’s a starting battery; if it has a light gray case, then it’s a deep-cycle (dual-purpose) battery.
R.I.P.-1997 Astro AWD SilverBullet I 4-9-1997 to 2-17-2015 - Cause of death: Rear-ended
R.I.P.-1999 Astro AWD SilverBullet II 1-4-1999 - July-2016 - Cause of death: Roadrash passenger side

SilverBullet1997
Years of Membership: SilverBullet1997 has been a member for 7 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 7 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 7 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 7 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 7 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 7 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 7 full years

Postby PaulDavidson [OP] » May 13th 2014, 6:26pm

Thanks for all of the replies.........much appreciated
Original Poster [OP]
PaulDavidson
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby SilverBullet1997 » May 13th 2014, 6:27pm

PaulDavidson wrote:Thanks for all of the replies.........much appreciated

No problem paul!

SilverBullet1997

Postby PaulDavidson [OP] » May 13th 2014, 7:17pm

I have a spare ( brand new ) yellow top, think i'll swap it over...........will let you know.....thanks again.....great place to field questions, and the response is great.
Original Poster [OP]
PaulDavidson
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby SilverBullet1997 » May 13th 2014, 9:29pm

PaulDavidson wrote:I have a spare ( brand new ) yellow top, think i'll swap it over...........will let you know.....thanks again.....great place to field questions, and the response is great.

It's not always that quick of a response, but I was bored this morning, But we always do try to help out to the best of our abilities. Sometimes it takes longer on the more technical questions as you have to wait for the people that have more brains than I do... :dunce:

SilverBullet1997