These showed up today

These showed up today

Postby Jasen [OP] » December 16th 2009, 5:18am

Hella iron blue w/ amber beam fog lights

Planning on mounting them in these then hook them to the steering with choke cables.

I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Original Poster [OP]
Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: These showed up today

Postby $uperJoe » December 16th 2009, 5:23am

why are you hooking them to the steering wheel with cables
Don't explain it poorly 5 times. Take the 15 seconds to go out and take a picture of it!!
Please do not confuse idle conversation with technical advise

Check out my Van build
$uperJoe
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: $uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 59
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby Jasen [OP] » December 16th 2009, 5:42am

$uperJoe wrote:why are you hooking them to the steering wheel with cables

Oh Joe, I expected more from you <hanging head low and shaking, sigh>

:lol:

I've had the idea for years to have some lights the turn with the wheels to help see while going around corners.

Mrs. Boss is getting a new set of 6" lights for the Wrangler. The narrow set lights on that thing suck, and being a soft top the A pillar along with the soft top make for a huge blind spot, you really have to look around, so I'm going to do hers first. It's a lot easier to do and work out any bugs in my idea. Then I'll pull the bumper mask on the Van and cut out the recesses to mount my lights.

Ultra gauge

Original Poster [OP]
Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby $uperJoe » December 16th 2009, 5:46am

i assumed that was the reason. i guess i expected more of you to wire it in off some relays and use a modified blinker switch instead of some wire and pully contraption as gilligans professor would do. just kidding. whats your idea for making this work together
Don't explain it poorly 5 times. Take the 15 seconds to go out and take a picture of it!!

Check out my Van build
$uperJoe
Years of Membership: $uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Jasen [OP] » December 16th 2009, 5:53am

Nice return :lol:

I figure I'll hook the choke cable to the pitman arm or maybe drag link, then to one light and either run a cable to the other, or use a solid rod between them.
I'll use a long arm on the lights with a bunch of holes in it to hook the cable up and be able to adjust the amount of travel of the lights.

Ultra gauge

Original Poster [OP]
Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Alias (AKA):

Postby $uperJoe » December 16th 2009, 6:02am

i was confused about the idea it seams. i thought it would be to turn on a fixed light. not have a rotating light off the steering.. that should be neat. instead of a solid mount like a bar that connects them i think the cable will work better. so there is some available adjustment in the system and if there is bumps in the frame it wont transfer to shakey lights. have you thought about maybe hydraulic power. like a slave cylinder from a clutch for each light and a master off your pitman arm?

Check out my Van build
$uperJoe
Alias (AKA):

Postby Jasen [OP] » December 16th 2009, 6:07am

Hadn't thought about hydraulics. Your probably right about connecting the two with cable. I went with sleeved pillow blocks figuring that would be a good solid mounting system.

Ultra gauge

Original Poster [OP]
Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Alias (AKA):

Postby Jasen [OP] » December 16th 2009, 6:09am

I wonder if some small car clutch slaves would work.

Ultra gauge

Original Poster [OP]
Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Alias (AKA):

Postby $uperJoe » December 16th 2009, 6:10am

where will they be? like on top of the bumper, in factory location, under the air dam?

Check out my Van build
$uperJoe
Alias (AKA):

Postby Jasen [OP] » December 16th 2009, 6:13am

I'm going to cut out the two outer recesses in the bumper mask below the license plate

Ultra gauge

Original Poster [OP]
Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Alias (AKA):

Postby Jasen [OP] » December 16th 2009, 6:23am

Or maybe an ACME thread rod and a drive motor.

Ultra gauge

Original Poster [OP]
Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Alias (AKA):

Postby $uperJoe » December 16th 2009, 6:27am

:rofl: ACME :rofl: if you go that route make sure to use an unusually long rope and some sort of balancing act (meep meep)

Check out my Van build
$uperJoe
Alias (AKA):

Postby Big_kid » December 16th 2009, 2:13pm

Don't forget the anvil! (Let's not use any dynamite on this project) :lol:
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby Munken » December 16th 2009, 7:03pm

Citroën ID/DS and SM had that in the 70s. And there is on the C5 now. I do not know how they have done it, But Citroën have always been fond of the hydraulics. I like your idea :thumbup:

Have you thought about throttle wire for boats? They tend to be thick and strong. ;)

"Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer"
Munken
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Munken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 69
Alias (AKA): Munken the lunatic
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Jasen [OP] » December 17th 2009, 4:31am

Lexus of Infinity did it a few years ago. I think it's wired into the on board GPS.

As far as I know, this was the first.

The center light turned with the steering.

I figure with a self lubricating bearing there shouldn't be much resistance and the choke cable should be strong enough. But that's why I'm doing the Wrangler first. If I do need to make design modifications, it'll be easy on the Wrangler.

Ultra gauge

Original Poster [OP]
Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Alias (AKA):